Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

broxbourneDELETE

Rear facing automobile or train seats

Are there any automobiles that have a rear facing seat? Ancient station wagons used to, I think. It would be nearly in the trunk area so that if you were following the station wagon, you would see the passengers (usually children) looking right back at you.

Some time ago when I was in Europe, I sat on a train where you could alter the position of the seat back so that you could choose which direction to face. Do American trains do this? (Amtrak?) I have never been on a passenger train in the US.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Re: Rear facing automobile or train seats

Just Volvo V/XC 70's have those RF seats right now, I believe...the 2008 Grand Caravan and Town & Country will have 'swivel n go' middle row seats that RF...try a search here or google... I'm dying for these to come out (no carseats RF, but my kids are 'almost' out of boosters now, lol).

Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

broxbourneDELETE

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    Just Volvo V/XC 70's have those RF seats right now.
    Thanks for the info. If you had one of these Volvos, would you put a 4yo child in a Regent in one of those RF seats? (Assume all other seats in the car are full) Is there anything wrong with this idea?

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Nope, I wouldn't. There's not a single carseat on the market labeled for use on a rearfacing vehicle seat (well, the Romer Vario, which is not for sale in the US is...). While I doubt it would be dangerous, I wouldn't want to be the first to find out, know what I mean? Those seats do fit kids I think from 50-88 pounds, so they can go seatless at a much younger/smaller age back there, as long as they sit properly in them, of course.

Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Go to Chrysler.com. I played around with the new T & C. The base model doesn't have swivel and go, but the other two do. Now.....how to make $38,000 by 2008 model year...hmm.

I don't know about Amtrak, but Caltrain (train in the SF Bay Area) has seats facing both directions. You can't switch them around, but you can choose to ride either forward facing or rear facing depending on where you sit and which direction the train is travelling.
    Roxie -- CPST and mommy to:
    DD1 - 11, DD2 - 9, DS - 5

Would it be safe to use a booster in a RF seat? Since it's not a restraint but a "belt positioner", it seems it would be ok, no?
    DD 7, 52" 48# Maxi Cosi Rodi XR and Britax Parkway SG
    DS 5¾ 46" 45# Britax Parkway
    DS 3 1/2, 40" 36# SK Radian
    3 across in a '07 VW Rabbit and a '09 Acura MDX

No. rear facing the shell of the seat absorbs the crash impactr, which is why rearfacing is safer, but boosters are not tested or built to take the crash forces involved, so they are not allowedto be used on rear facing seats.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley