Rear facing automobile or train seats

• Thread starter broxbourneDELETE
  • Start date
B

broxbourneDELETE

Are there any automobiles that have a rear facing seat? Ancient station wagons used to, I think. It would be nearly in the trunk area so that if you were following the station wagon, you would see the passengers (usually children) looking right back at you.

Some time ago when I was in Europe, I sat on a train where you could alter the position of the seat back so that you could choose which direction to face. Do American trains do this? (Amtrak?) I have never been on a passenger train in the US.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Just Volvo V/XC 70's have those RF seats right now, I believe...the 2008 Grand Caravan and Town & Country will have 'swivel n go' middle row seats that RF...try a search here or google... I'm dying for these to come out (no carseats RF, but my kids are 'almost' out of boosters now, lol).

:)

B

broxbourneDELETE

Just Volvo V/XC 70's have those RF seats right now.

Thanks for the info. If you had one of these Volvos, would you put a 4yo child in a Regent in one of those RF seats? (Assume all other seats in the car are full) Is there anything wrong with this idea?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Nope, I wouldn't. There's not a single carseat on the market labeled for use on a rearfacing vehicle seat (well, the Romer Vario, which is not for sale in the US is...). While I doubt it would be dangerous, I wouldn't want to be the first to find out, know what I mean? Those seats do fit kids I think from 50-88 pounds, so they can go seatless at a much younger/smaller age back there, as long as they sit properly in them, of course.

:)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Go to Chrysler.com. I played around with the new T & C. The base model doesn't have swivel and go, but the other two do. Now.....how to make $38,000 by 2008 model year...hmm.

oxeye

I don't know about Amtrak, but Caltrain (train in the SF Bay Area) has seats facing both directions. You can't switch them around, but you can choose to ride either forward facing or rear facing depending on where you sit and which direction the train is travelling. :)

smurf

Would it be safe to use a booster in a RF seat? Since it's not a restraint but a "belt positioner", it seems it would be ok, no?

skaterbabs

No. rear facing the shell of the seat absorbs the crash impactr, which is why rearfacing is safer, but boosters are not tested or built to take the crash forces involved, so they are not allowedto be used on rear facing seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC