Equally safe?

sholoulou

We need another seat.

2002 Ford F150. Graco Nautilus or Britax Frontier? Do you think these are on the same level as for a safety, comfort and design. I know all seats pass but I also know that a seat of just plastic compared to a seat with eps foam, steel rods, etc up the chances of a good outcome in a bad wreck.

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Actually, we can't say for sure that steel reinforcement or EPS foam hold up better. For example, it's possible that a seat that's lighter & more flexible (without the steel rods) will absorb more of the crash forces and be better for the child.

That's why we always say that anything beyond the standard crash-testing is totally subjective. If it makes you FEEL better, get the Britax. Just realize there's truly no evidence that it's safer.

lovemybabies924

i think they are great both choices so i would go with what one is in your budget, or if money isn't an issue what one you just like more :D

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
but I also know that a seat of just plastic compared to a seat with eps foam, steel rods, etc up the chances of a good outcome in a bad wreck.

I'd love to see your data. We don't know that. Carseats save lives daily, and the vast majority have no steel rods. EPS foam may help, but it disperses forces, not eliminates them.

Yes, they're both as safe. Piper rides in a Nautilus. The Frontier is too big on her, and when she was younger it didn't provide a belt fit I liked on her tiny frame. She found it less comfortable. I'd reverse that recommendation for a broad child.

Wendy

Baylor

I have GNs and Love them. I am planning to get a FR85 because I want the extra growing room for my boys. I have a 6.5 yr old who can use it now and a 3 yr old that will definitely need it.

You may want to try them both. The GNs need to be 100% on the seat so you want to make sure they fit properly.

My suggestion is to go to a store and try them in the car and with the child. That way you will know what fits both best.

sholoulou

Yeah, I have no data ;) just my obsessing.

My daughter is a little thing so maybe the graco will work better. I will try it in the truck.

sholoulou

She is 4 yo 36 lbs but there is nothing to her.

I want 3 new carseats but I know that is "crazy" bwhahaha! Just kidding guys!
My list is Nautilus, Frontier and ProSport.

Mommy2Marcus

I own a Graco Nautilus & am absolutly happy with it. I also own 2 other Evenflo seats that my son rides in a great deal. I feel that as long as I can properly install it & use it properly, then it will be safe for my child.

My son is also on the smaller side & fits GREAT in the Nautilus. I really think that both are great seats & that either of them will be a good seat for your child. Also know that the Nautilus does have steel rods in it. So that might help you.

ETA: Your DD is right about the same size as my son. He is a little over 4 years old & weighs between 35-37lbs depending on the day. He is about 42-43 inches tall as well.

Baylor

My Just turned 3 yr old is 42 lbs.. I would love it if he was still RFing. I always think I have not played with enough of them. I have a few I would love to try out.. I see COWMOO in my future in different styles.. :)

myliljunebugs

I have owned both. I wouldn't say that I ever felt that that Nauti was less safe than the FR85. However, DD hated the Nauti with a passion. Would scream and cry that her back and/or her bottom hurt. Horrible head slump. Loves the FR85, never a complaint. If your child finds the Nauti comfortable then that would be MORE than enough seat for her considering her size, DD would still have room to grow in it and outweighed your DD at that age by about 4lbs. HTH

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I'll opposite what the last poster said..I have both and my dd loves her nauti and flat out refuses the frontier. I prefer the nauti due to the easy installs as well.

pepsicola

We need another seat.

2002 Ford F150. Graco Nautilus or Britax Frontier? Do you think these are on the same level as for a safety, comfort and design. I know all seats pass but I also know that a seat of just plastic compared to a seat with eps foam, steel rods, etc up the chances of a good outcome in a bad wreck.

I'm glad you asked because I have been wondering the same thing trying to decide which seat is "better". I like that the GN is a crazy good seller with lots of glowing reviews and even some that said it did well in crashes. On the other hand I do get warm fuzzy feelings with my kid in a Britax :duck:. What? They have really good marketing :whistle:....

firemomof3

My dd2 is a tiny petite thing and she loves her dori GN :love: She doesn't have any head slump and finds it very comfortable. I had originally bought the Frontier when I turned my ds ff but I didn't like it at all. It is more time consuming and sometimes more difficult to install vs the GN. It is also more reclined than the GN and has lots more room...everywhere. So if you have a bigger child the Frontier is great. I haven't tried the ProSport so I can't comment on that.

momtoo3

We have a 2004 F150 crew cab. I get a rock solid install with the Nautilus latch and seat belt (not at the same time :).) With the Frontier 85 I got an ok install using latch but could not get a good install with the seat belt at all (I used short belt path, did not try long belt path.) I wanted a good install with both latch and seat belt because of the 40 pound latch limit on the F150. Both my 5 yr old and 2 yr old love the Nautilus (my 2 yr old has only used it 2 times when his rf seat was left in papa's car, but he loved the cubbies.)

Baylor

I think that is a bonus with the Nautilus. I think they are so easy to install correctly. I find that Dh can install it as well as My dad with no trouble too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC