Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reputation and Thanks Information

This seems to be a pretty common question, so can we get this stickied up here for easy access?

Thanks
    Thanks is public; You can see when a poster receives a "Thank". Thanks are always worth one point, never more. You are given 5 "Thanks" per day. This feature is in all forums except for some specific sub-forums.

Reputation is given when members think that other members have given good, useful advice. To give reputation, you must have at least 10 posts and 6 reputation points. It is more private, only the receiver can see it (and likely mods/admins, I don't know). Rep allows you to leave a message, too.

How do you give it?

At the bottom of everybody's post, there is an icon that looks like a scale (screen shot is below), click on that and a message window pops up. You enter in a message/sign your name, and voilą. You have given rep. You do not have to add a message/your name, however, it's also a good way to earn some reputation. You do not earn rep points by giving it, but members who see that you give reputation are more willing to give you reputation, too. Members who are not benefactors can not see who leaves the reputation unless the giver leaves their name, so keep that in mind.

Keep in mind, it is best to earn your rep, not ask for it.

Quote Originally Posted by CPSDarren View Post
    Community members who are blatantly increasing their posts counts with trivial posts or soliciting reputation points may have their reputation points reset for doing so.

How do I get it?

You are more likely to get rep when your rep is enabled. If your box(s) are black, then you have them disabled. To turn your reputation on, click HERE and then check the box that says, "Show Your Reputation Level".

You get rep by giving good advice. So post, read, and learn!

Everybody is worth a different amount of rep point(s) that they give when they rep another member. It is all dependent on other factors. There is a formula that will determine how much your power is worth.

+1 Point for membership (Everybody starts with one point)
    +1 Per year registered
    +1 Per every 3,000 posts you have
    +1 Per every 1,500 rep points you have in yourself

Members (and Mods/Admins, too) are capped at 10 points. You can't give more than 10 points per rep click, no matter what.

The more reputation points you have yourself also determines how many green boxes you have under your screen name. The more rep, the more green boxes:

1 Box = 5-99 Points
    2= 100-199
    3= 200-299
    4= 300-399
    5= 400-499
    6= 500-699
    7= 700-899
    8= 900-1099
    9= 1100-1299
    10= 1300-1499
    11= 1500 +

If you hover over the green boxes, you can see a title. This gives a general idea of how much rep you have. I have no idea if this is up to date (thinking now, I think there was a minor change within the last year), but it's the last I've seen, so we'll go with it.

5-9 Points: Earning a good CPS reputation
    10-24: Cub writer
    25-49: Journalist
    50-74: Recognized Contributor
    75-99: Writer
    100-249: Editor's choice author
    250-499: Almost a CPS know-it-all
    500-749: Top author and CPS Guru wannabe
    750-999: Know it all
    1,000-2,499: Leader
    2,500-5,000: Expert

There are two more categories (CPS Guru Extraordinaire & Reputation over the Fargin' Limit) but I don't know where they start/stop.

You can give reputation in most forums with a few exceptions like Swap and the Senior Community Member forum, but Thanks is not available in most of the private Community forums. In the Community Member forum, your reputation power is worth half and it rounds down. If you are worth 2 points, you will be worth 1. If you are worth 3 points, you will be worth 2. If you are worth 4, you will be worth 2, etc. Since it is rounded down, if you are only worth 1, you will be worth 0 in community forums.

You can give 2 reputation clicks per day, provided you haven't used any Thanks for the day. The clicks are limited, and they run on a rolling 24 hours, so before you can give rep again, you must wait 24 hours.

*This is subject to change at any time.
    Last edited by Mae; 03-03-2011 at 11:39 PM.
    "Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't." - Bill Nye

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Reputation and Thanks Information

I want to bump this... I wish there was some way to sticky it or make it easily accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurezalia View Post
    I want to bump this... I wish there was some way to sticky it or make it easily accessible.
    Agreed. However, since I'm just a regular ol' member, once 30 days pass from me posting this, I won't be able to edit/update any changes. Silly setting.

CPS Fanatic

Thanks for posting this -- I was just wondering about some of this stuff.

I hadn't been around the boards much for a year or two, and the 'thank you' system was new to me. Seems that many/most people do the 'thank you' now... because it's quicker/easier than leaving rep? I think I may go back and 'unthank' someone, so I can go leave rep instead, for a post I really liked (I noticed that the system doesn't let you do both).

And, at one point per, I realize I may as well get used to my own current number of little green boxes -- they won't be getting company for a L O N G time .

Katrin

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    Great info!

Question about this, though:

Quote Originally Posted by Mae
    Thanks are always worth one point, never more. You are given 5 "Thanks" per day.

You can give 2 reputation clicks per day, provided you haven't used any Thanks for the day.
    I thought it changed so we have a certain combined number of clicks (like, five or something) but we can divide them however we want. Like, five Thanks or five Rep, or two of one and three of the other...or something.

Or did it change again?

Or did I completely make that up?

Quote Originally Posted by LISmama810 View Post
    Great info!

Question about this, though:

I thought it changed so we have a certain combined number of clicks (like, five or something) but we can divide them however we want. Like, five Thanks or five Rep, or two of one and three of the other...or something.

Or did it change again?

Or did I completely make that up?
    I think I recall something like that, but I've tried to give rep more than 2X per day and I can't. I usually don't do Thanks, but I still can't do more than 2 reppies. So I guess not?

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    Hopefully the great and powerful Oz will come clarify.

You need to leave rep first before leaving thanks I believe, if you want to maximize your clicks. Thanks is an addon and once you make it worth rep, it's a little odd how they share total clicks.
    Welcome to Car-Seat.Org! Click to Post a Question. Please respect our signature guidelines. Thank you.
    These topics have useful information: Main Announcement, User Guidelines, Please Support Car-Seat.Org
    Please support Car-Seat.Org by using forum links to Amazon (please bookmark!), Wayfair, Target, Walmart, Albee and our Sponsors.
    All Website Content Copyright© 2001-2019, Car-Seat.Org, All Rights Reserved
    Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | About Us

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    You need to leave rep first before leaving thanks I believe, if you want to maximize your clicks. Thanks is an addon and once you make it worth rep, it's a little odd how they share total clicks.
    I swear that used to work, but after some experimentation, I don't think it does? Somebody gave rep and a thank, but the thank didn't show in the User CP and the rep count didn't go up. maybe I'll experiment later.

The only real alternative is to make Thanks worth zero Rep.
    Welcome to Car-Seat.Org! Click to Post a Question. Please respect our signature guidelines. Thank you.
    These topics have useful information: Main Announcement, User Guidelines, Please Support Car-Seat.Org
    Please support Car-Seat.Org by using forum links to Amazon (please bookmark!), Wayfair, Target, Walmart, Albee and our Sponsors.

The only real alternative is to make Thanks worth zero Rep.
    No, I'm not complaining! LOL.

Unfortunately, that's the only real choice to make it less quirky. Then the two systems act completely independent, as they did before.

Quote Originally Posted by Mae View Post
    No, I'm not complaining! LOL.
    Take note of this: If her complaining starts driving you crazy again, you just have to threaten her.

Lol opinions are welcome. There's just not a lot I can do in this case, it's one way or the other. I don't mind switching if there seems to be a consensus that the old way was preferable. Again, the whole system may change if/when the forums get an upgrade to version 4, though that isn't likely until the end of the year at the earliest.

Just sayin', you can continue to bring up the removal of the rep system as leverage. She'll comply immediately.

Well, it's not really leverage since the upgrade will happen eventually. The only question is when!

Well, it's not really leverage since the upgrade will happen eventually. The only question is when!
    When it does, and if the rep system goes away, I think I'll make a screencap of my little boxes, and make that my avatar... heh
    apparently, people put stuff here.
    imagine:
    photos of my extremely adorable spawn.
    their stats and a
    witty quote.

posted from my computer using the internet...
    Super SEEEEKRIT stuff here.

19. Thank You from:

Mae

Quote Originally Posted by Simplysomething View Post
    When it does, and if the rep system goes away, I think I'll make a screencap of my little boxes, and make that my avatar... heh
    Ditto.

today I tried to give someone rep and it told me I had to spread it around before I gave it to that person again.. Is there a limit you can click someone?
    A five stepper and a booster rider

Quote Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
    today I tried to give someone rep and it told me I had to spread it around before I gave it to that person again.. Is there a limit you can click someone?
    You have to spread the love before you can click the same person again. I think you have to give to 3 or 4 different people in between the same person?