Question Multi Tech foot prop help!

ADS

gsdguenter

Ugh, I remember trying to figure that out the first few times! Basically, I was able to get it tight once I figured out the tether straps ahve to be really tight and yanked down on them.

I just assumed that, like the RN, you didn't pull hard on it, but just got the slack out. But for the MT you need to really tighten those tether straps! Put your back into it lol

Does that make sense?

hrice

gsdguenter said:
Ugh, I remember trying to figure that out the first few times! Basically, I was able to get it tight once I figured out the tether straps ahve to be really tight and yanked down on them.

I just assumed that, like the RN, you didn't pull hard on it, but just got the slack out. But for the MT you need to really tighten those tether straps! Put your back into it lol

Does that make sense?

They are very tight but I'll try to get them tighter.

Did you have a very noticeable decrease in leg room from the RN to the MT?

gsdguenter

DD has a lot more leg room in the MT than the RN. Also, I have have my seat back farther since it is so upright.

Is the foot prop moving? Is it in the green?

Basically I pushed it all the way out then inched it forward till I got the right angle (even though I think it was in the red still). Then I really tightened those straps and it went into the green and didn't move.

I know it is frustrating though trying to fiddle with it.

As much as I read about it, I still didn't really get it until I was able to figure it out and do it myself. I know, really helpful, huh :p

hrice

DS has way less leg room! I'm so upset right now.

I have tighten the tethers as tight as I can get them and messed with the prop and it just won't lock! So far I totally regret this purchase :(

hrice

Ok I've pulled the tethers so tight that my armpit muscles hurt and I still can't get the foot prop to lock.

Does that loop need to stay around the plastic thing or do I slip it off? I've tried both ways with so success. The manual says to pull the prop as far away from the child seat as possible. Do they mean where it attaches? That arm just pivots back and forth. I'm just confused so any help is appreciated.

Also no matter how many times I twist the female end when I tighten the seatbelt I cannot keep the buckle away from the lock off. I tried every seat position in the second row. It is installed ROCK solid but the buckle is touching the lock off. Is that ok?

delgirrrl

The footprop needs to be locked before you start tightening. It pulls out in stages. I suggest taking the seat out and just playing with it to figure out how to lengthen and shorten the foot prop. Then put it in the car, do the seatbelt install, then lengthen the footprop to the right length, touching the floor and locked in. It may not yet be green. Then attach and tighten the forward anchors. They should go green with the pressure from tightening.

I'm kind of puzzled you have less legroom than you did with the RN - we had plenty more with the MT. Strange...

About the lockoffs, mine touch too. It's rock solid and doesn't worry me. Further, if you have ALR seatbelts, you don't need to use the inbuilt lockoffs if you feel they may interfere with your ability to get the seat tight.

Good luck!

hrice

So I dont have to use the lock offs?! That would have saved me allot of stress this afternoon!

The manual instructed to tighten the tethers first. I guess I will start ar square one tomorrow.

lenats31

Also no matter how many times I twist the female end when I tighten the seatbelt I cannot keep the buckle away from the lock off. I tried every seat position in the second row. It is installed ROCK solid but the buckle is touching the lock off. Is that ok?

This is mentioned in the user guide as "not ok" The lock offs are there to keep the seatbelt attached to the seat. Most cars in Europe don´t have ALR / or ALS belts (whatever they are called) belts.

It is a lot easier to get the leg to lock if you pull the tether straps prior to installing the footprop.

Lena

gsdguenter

I gave the straps a quick tightening (but not really very tight - just getting the slack out) and then pulled the foot prop down and locked it. THEN I really tightened the straps and it all worked.

I agree, play with it out of the car and it will start to make sense.

I remember really regretting my purchase for a few days until I became comfortable with the foot prop. It was so frustrating! But, then it all made sense and now I can install it in a heart beat and wicked easily.

Can you take a picture or video and post so we may be able to better help you? I am very confused about why you have less leg room :confused:

twinsmom

The footprop needs to be locked before you start tightening. It pulls out in stages. I suggest taking the seat out and just playing with it to figure out how to lengthen and shorten the foot prop. Then put it in the car, do the seatbelt install, then lengthen the footprop to the right length, touching the floor and locked in. It may not yet be green. Then attach and tighten the forward anchors. They should go green with the pressure from tightening.

I'm kind of puzzled you have less legroom than you did with the RN - we had plenty more with the MT. Strange...

About the lockoffs, mine touch too. It's rock solid and doesn't worry me. Further, if you have ALR seatbelts, you don't need to use the inbuilt lockoffs if you feel they may interfere with your ability to get the seat tight.

Good luck!

This is exactly how I did it and didn't have a problem. Install with seatbelt, let the footprop retract to the floor, then pull it a bit further to "click" into the next locked position. It will probably still be in the red. Just tighten the tethers until it goes into green and the seat is tight.

I'm also confused about legroom. My tall 5.5 year olds had plenty of room.:confused:

firemomof3

I feel your pain :( I really think the MT is an unbelievably cool seat and I really wish we had them in the states. But I had a love/hate relationship with the MT. Can you take pics. of your install? Is the MT really upright? If yes then I would try using a tightly rolled towel to recline it a bit.
I think you just need to play with it and it'll get better, good luck :)

hrice

I feel your pain :( I really think the MT is an unbelievably cool seat and I really wish we had them in the states. But I had a love/hate relationship with the MT. Can you take pics. of your install? Is the MT really upright? If yes then I would try using a tightly rolled towel to recline it a bit.
I think you just need to play with it and it'll get better, good luck :)

I'm at work now but will take pics later. It is very upright. Pulling the tethers helped adjust the recline but it's probably still less than 30 degrees.

Now that I know I don't *have* to use the lock offs :doh: because I have locking seat belts I will redo the whole install. I thought the MT required the lock offs because the manual didn't describe another method. I will try the towel too.

My prop does not seem to adjust in stages as you all are describing. I pull on it and the whole thing just slides out. There have never been any clicking noises either.

twinsmom

I'm at work now but will take pics later. It is very upright. Pulling the tethers helped adjust the recline but it's probably still less than 30 degrees.

Now that I know I don't *have* to use the lock offs :doh: because I have locking seat belts I will redo the whole install. I thought the MT required the lock offs because the manual didn't describe another method. I will try the towel too.

My prop does not seem to adjust in stages as you all are describing. I pull on it and the whole thing just slides out. There have never been any clicking noises either.

If I remember correctly, there is a place to squeeze on the sides of the bottom of the prop to get it to extend, right? If you are pressing those, it will just extend, when you stop pressing, you can extend or retract a bit to the closest "click". That's how I remember it but it's been a few months.

hrice

If I remember correctly, there is a place to squeeze on the sides of the bottom of the prop to get it to extend, right? If you are pressing those, it will just extend, when you stop pressing, you can extend or retract a bit to the closest "click". That's how I remember it but it's been a few months.

Mine doesn't have any buttons that I can find. I pull it and it just slides all the way out. There is no in between.

finn

ds definitely had more room in the MT than the RN.

If you hold the release and let the foot prop flow freely it wont lock, so if you extend it all the way then let go of the release, it wont be locked, if you push the bottom of the foot prop in a little it will click, or lock into place. There is also an angle indicator in the instruction manual, so the foot prop doesn't have to be pulled out until the loop is tight, it just has to be at the right angle.

I always threaded the seat belt, loosely attached the tethers, extended the foot prop, tightened the seat belt, got dh to pull down on the tethers and that was enough to change the foot prop from red to green. The foot prop was only just long enough in my car.

hrice

ds definitely had more room in the MT than the RN.

If you hold the release and let the foot prop flow freely it wont lock, so if you extend it all the way then let go of the release, it wont be locked, if you push the bottom of the foot prop in a little it will click, or lock into place. There is also an angle indicator in the instruction manual, so the foot prop doesn't have to be pulled out until the loop is tight, it just has to be at the right angle.

I always threaded the seat belt, loosely attached the tethers, extended the foot prop, tightened the seat belt, got dh to pull down on the tethers and that was enough to change the foot prop from red to green. The foot prop was only just long enough in my car.

Does the loop need to stay around the plastic part or should I slide it off? If I leave it on the prop want to angle in tward the seat instead of away.

Where is the release? All I have to do is gently tug on the bottom of the prop and the whole thing slides out:confused:

lenats31

Firstly the MT is not supposd to be installed at a 45 degree angle like US seats. This is one of the ways that European seats differ from the US seats. They are very different and so are the guidelines.

The MT guideline says you can use the seat until the tip of the child´s ears reach the top (of the headsupport). It is not 2" below the top. The more reclined a seat is, the more the child moves upwards in the seat in a crash. If the seat is installed at a more upright angle, the child will move further into the seat rather than upwards in it.

Secondly the footprop should never turn inwards.Nor should you make alterations to the seat such as moving the footprop tether.

Pushing the seat down with a knee or a hand and have someone else pull the tethers often helps. It sounds like your rear seats have quite an angle and sit high above the floor, therefore you have to push the seat down.

Some owners think that the sliding section is the foot of the footprop. The sliding section is the extendable part of the footprop. You shouldn´t have to slide anything to make the indicator go green.

277.jpg

276.jpg

You´l hear an audiable click when the footprop locks into place.

Lena

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC