The worst part is...

ADS

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
sorry, i forgot to add. all of the children were restrained. however it seems as though only one child was in a seat.

Last edited:

lovinwaves

I'm not sad I am FURIOUS!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I have ZERO tolerance for drinking and driving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My blood is boiling just reading that article!!!!!!!!

MsFacetious

Ditto. I once again wish there was a way for every vehicle to require a breathalizer to start it. If this was the case this guy wouldn't have even been driving... most of the people killed by drunk drivers are kiled by first time offenders. Makes me sick. There was a family taken out here a few months ago. Pregnant Mom and two of her kids were killed by a drunk teenager.

I have no tolerance at all for this. Absolutely none.

I read how the drunk driver's father came to the scene shortly after the crash, and was told which hospital to go to... and tried to imagine how I would feel knowing that the child I raised had just committed such an atrocity out of sheer STUPIDITY. :(

LeeLi

What a loss of so many young lives with such potential...

And stories like this are what makes me wonder why our society thinks it's okay to allow people to drive younger then when we allow them to drink legally. When my car was totaled a year and a half ago it was by a 17 year old who crossed over the center lane into my car. And back when I was doing EMT training and observing in the ER I saw 2 teens come in who were involved in an drunk driving/speeding accident that killed a third teen. Of course in this case the drunk driver was underage too... But still I frequently wonder why we let high schoolers drive cars.

I think almost everyone has been touched by drunk driving at some point in their lives, or knows someone who was. A good friend of mine in high school was killed by a drunk driver on the night of our graduation, on their way to our Grad Party; the other girl in the car survived, but was comatose for several weeks before waking to find her best friend had died. :( She committed suicide later. :crying:

I don't know what the answer is here-- having lived in Japan and Europe (although not having stats handy ATM), I've seen how *allowing* children/teens an occasional drink, and teaching them to respect it, can be a positive thing. BUT here in the US, "underage drinking" is such a cultural thing-- it's a method of rebellion that's instilled in our kids through the media, and social influences and pressures. I don't know how long it would take to undo that, and how much damage we could expect in the interim... :(

teekadog

Not to sound unemotional, as I think it's tragic as well... But that Mercedes SUV could restrain 8 people???

I just checked on edmunds.com and I was right, it only seats 7. Those M-class SUVs are really on the smaller side. My folks had M-B fanatic friends who got one back in the day, but soon traded it in for another M-B sedan, because the sedans were roomier.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
So sad and so preventable. :( The car geek in me also wondered about the vehicle's seating capacity but didn't have the heart to research the model more thoroughly. :eek:

I'm extremely saddened and numb in light of all of the sad crash stories, particularly because of a crash that almost literally happened in my backyard on Fri. A 19 year old driver on his way home from school either ran a stop sign or failed to yield. He pulled out in front of a semi-truck and was killed instantly. His 14 year old friend riding shotgun survived and is expected to recover, and the truck driver was uninjured. So sad and a sobering reminder of how a moment of inattention or a distracted/inexperienced driver can be deadly. :(

Loves2sing

I'm not sad I am FURIOUS!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I have ZERO tolerance for drinking and driving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My blood is boiling just reading that article!!!!!!!!

:mad: :(

Drunk drivers always come away with few or no injuries, too. It's just not fair.

:yeahthat: The driving regulations are ridiculous. I think that kids should at least have graduated High school before they can get a driver's permit. I drove later in life. I got my licence when I was 20, and looking back, I am glad I waited because most of the 16 year-old I know, and knew way back when, did not have the maturity level to be trusted behind suge a huge, in this case, weapon!

Morganthe

That was such a preventable accident. :( Even if the kids had all been in seats, it sounds as if it was just unsurvivable, poor things :(

I don't know what the answer is here-- having lived in Japan and Europe (although not having stats handy ATM), I've seen how *allowing* children/teens an occasional drink, and teaching them to respect it, can be a positive thing. BUT here in the US, "underage drinking" is such a cultural thing-- it's a method of rebellion that's instilled in our kids through the media, and social influences and pressures. I don't know how long it would take to undo that, and how much damage we could expect in the interim...

I don't know the answer either. I sometimes think it's just as stupid for us to allow someone who has been drinking any amount of alcohol to determine their sobriety level just like all these targeted idiotic public service infomercials are aimed towards women with severe postpartum depression to get out and ask for help all by themselves. Each are addressing individuals with severe mental impairment. Kind of like a heart surgeon operating on himself :shrug-shoulders:

Vehicle Keys should be confiscated at the order of a drink, imo. I realize that would make things complicated, but only at first while we're figuring out safe-rides & taxis & other forms of transportation.

There's been enough surveys to demonstrate that the vast majority of drinkers honestly believe they're more sober than they actually are. Rarely can anyone guess their intoxication level. Since our society has this blanket anti-drinking stance, there's never any chance for a young person to learn LEGALLY the individual effects of alcohol. In a way, it's worse than the controversy about abstinence vs sex education.

We're so busy saying its illegal and don't do it, there is no education from parents or society other than all those really cool advertisements, teaching anyone HOW to drink responsibly. Basically, we're a nation of binge drinkers who pride ourselves on how wasted we can get on weak nasty tasting watered down beer. :( Eventually, everyone will be legal, so don't waste the educational moment. :thumbsup:

There were two summers I spent with my parents railpassing through the different countries in Europe. The first trip I was about 14. My parents allowed me to drink cider which has 3-5% alcohol content with dinner while they shared a bottle of wine. The second trip, I was 16 1/2. Legal drinking age over there. My father educated me on what constituted a good bottle of wine, how to select it, and we also tried out some of the different beers. I learned that I could drink a glass of wine and I'd feel a slight buzz. Anything more, was not appreciating the vintage. My dad would receive looks of approval from other parents who were also 'educating' their children at the different establishments.

He emphasized heavily that after drinking, driving was not acceptable! But in Europe, we were either walking or taking public transportation. Even when I was there in the early 90s and this last tour, there was always a way to get where we needed to go without driving. Much more difficult in the US. :shrug-shoulders: Teens aren't licensed until their 18 and that's only after a huge expense by someone for driver's school and license purchase. So most are the reverse of here in the US. Access to alcohol at a younger age, but not a vehicle.

There are just as many closet alcoholics over there as here, so it's not utopia at all. But at least it's out in the open instead of being some sort of rebellion thing.

As soon as we came back to the States, that was it. I was NOT LEGAL, so even the discussion of alcohol became this taboo subject from my parents. But I remembered a lot of that bonding with my dad.

I had a binge drinking episode when I was 18 1/2, but I did not drive anywhere until the following morning. Compared to my peers, I was a complete teetotaler.

I turned 19 in TX just before the age limit was changed to 21 and then I was stationed outside of DC where it was also 19 legal age for beer & wine. If you were married & your spouse was over 21, then you were legal for the hard stuff :rolleyes: I watched as my sig-other sank into severe binge drinking/ alcoholic dependant habits and was accused of driving him to the drink. He never liked the taste of the drinks, only the drunken state he'd go into.

After my split up, I drank heavily at the different military 'parties', but I always remembered my parents' admonishments to not drive. It also helped that I pulled people over for DUI's and they were ALWAYS SO STUPID! I never met a smart drunk. :rolleyes: But I did prefer living overseas because it WAS so much easier being a responsible drinker due to the public transportation and local establishments near to where one lived. Unless you live in a major city, it's hard to compare.

I barely drink now -- some German Mosel white wine that we imported and the occasional Cider which I really really miss the French cider-wine style from Normandy or Brittany. :crying:

But something that I have yet to encounter in the last 20 years or so, has been a young person who can appreciate beverages containing alcohol for something other than the chance to get blisteringly drunk. What a waste. :(

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
well, i visited the memorial site today. very sad. im having a hard time with it. it was right near my home, at an intersection i often drive through (and drove through everyday on my way to school, at 16). Its just very sobering, realising that in an instant, just one moment, everything can be gone. I too have no sympathy for drunk drivers, however, this kid is 19...he will have to live the rest of his life knowing that he killed 4 children... 4 children just like him. i dont think hes taking any of it lightly, as hes on suicide watch.

but what should the legal age limit be raised to?

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
I was reading the article and it's sooo sad, but i'm really curious as to how all of them were restrained. There is no way that a 1998 Mercedes could seat that many people. How can the paper cite that?

Honestly, i'd be on suicide watch as well. :( I don't care if you drink, I don't care if you waste your liver, I only care about if you get into a car and hurt innocent people.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC