What have you done after becoming a CPST?

laudymama

I was really wanting to get certified but then I saw a thread on here about being insured and now I'm not sure what to do since I know we can't afford to have any extra bills. I would have to sign up in the next couple of hours for the course as it starts tomorrow and is the only one listed in my area for the rest of the year (as of now anyway). What have some of you who are techs done w/ your training-if anything? Just wondering what my options are and if I would need to be insured or if I would even get to put the training to any kind of work asside from personal knowledge.....:cool:

ADS

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I'm not insured. I do private checks for all my friends/neighbors that I can. I've taught classes at mom's groups and such. I used to volunteer to teach about 10 min infant classes at WIC. I volunteer at every seat check that I can (hard when I have to find sitters for my own kids).

I have made myself known around here though and the instructors are planning a big conference (yearly thing here) called the Safety Summit. They called me and asked if I'd be one of their speakers. I get about 10-15 minutes to talk about online resources for techs and parents (mostly this site).

I also have tried to get information to the local pediatricians offices and give my info to them. I've done seat checks for daycares plus one for a ped (only 1 mom came). Sometimes I hand out small fliers. Oh, and the school safety fair.

There's lots of opportunitues if you have time.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I volunteer with two local SafeKids coalitions to do seat check events. For those events I'm covered by their insurance.

I also do private checks, and I do have insurance because it's only about $80 a year. If it were significantly more I'd probably skip it but would still do checks. I'm not overly concerned about being sued.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I do about 95% private checks, but I volunteer when I can. My private checks are charged, and I don't carry insurance. Last month was a slow month and I did 20 seats. I'm covered under WA State Good Samaritan law by name as a technician.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.61.6871

I've taught classes, done group presentations, and of course I spend far too many hours online helping and educating.

Wendy

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
From what I've read, it's extraordinarily uncommon to be sued as a tech. I've read both no one has ever been sued and only one tech has ever been sued... so it's not something I'm terribly worried about. I do primarily private checks (although not a whole ton of them, since I'm still new,) but I don't carry insurance. Frankly I have nothing for them to take, lol! If you're worried about it, when you do checks with an agency (SK) their insurance covers you.

Realize this is moot since your course started (with or without you) this morning, but just wanted to put that out there anyways.

Harmony96

This is an interesting thread b/c I had an opportunity to become a CPST but declined at the time, partly b/c of childcare and partly b/c I didn't know what I'd "do" with the certification once I had it.

turtlemama

When I get my certification I plan on doing checks for my mom's group and going across the street and seeing if the hospital needs me for anything. I will also get some business cards and hand out to Peds and WIC. I'm also thinking about putting up flyers in my apt. building.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC