Question Need seat advice for petite 19 month old

mommafriend

Hi All,

My CPS tech certification expired over a year ago and I have gotta say, I am out of the loop when it comes to shopping for new seats. :confused:

My 19 month old daughter is just shy of 20 pounds and is 31 inches tall. She is quite petite and I really don't know where to begin with a new seat for her.

She is currently in a Chicco Keyfit 30, and I would like to keep her in it till she outgrows it, but I am expecting in May and will use the Chicco for the new baby. Because she is so small, I want her rear facing for as long as possible. I was looking at convertible seats with high RF weights - 35 to 45 pounds, and FF weights 65+. Should I focus solely on a convertible, or aim for an all-in-one? I want seat longevity and the most bang for my buck, but her safety is our number 1 priority.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated, and I thank you in advance.

ADS

Jan06twinmom

You definitely want a convertible. Since your DD is so small, you should be find with a 35lb rear-facing seat. My DD is also petite (around 18lbs at a year old) and she sat rf in a 33lb limit seat until she was 4y4m old. She's only 39lbs at 6yo so she could still sit rf in some seats.

Some of the seats to look at are the Complete Air, Triumph 65, First Years True Fit, Graco MyRide, and Radian. All of these seat will probably keep her rf until she is at least 4yo and in a harness seat until she is over 6yo.

If you want to consider a smaller seat because of space issues, I would look at the Combi Corroco or the Safety First Avenue. You would probably want to pass this seat down to the baby in a couple of years and then buy another seat for your older child.

Melanie

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
The only 3-in-1 I would really recommend is the new graco smart seat, but for the price you can get a nice convertible (complete air $150) and a nice ff seat later (graco nautilus $130).

Stefanie, cpst in iowa - mom to 4 great kids

firemomof3

I would recommend the MyRide because it fits smaller, petite kids so well. It has a nice smooth harness adjustor, super soft cover and will allow her to stay rf for a long time :thumbsup:

mommafriend

Thank you so much for the advice, and the car seats to look into.

To answer Judi's question, the seat will be going into a Dodge Caravan.

I think I will avoid the all-in-one and aim for just a convertible. We are going shopping today so hopefully I can narrow it down to just a couple.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
My son is also 19 months, ~19 pounds and 31 inches, and he rides in a Complete Air and a Coccoro. He has a long torso and will be outgrowing the Coccoro before I'm ready to FF him, so he will likely get another Complete Air :)

jjordan

I love the new Britax convertibles (roundabout55, marathon70, boulevard70), especially for small-ish kids! Give one of those a try if you get a chance. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC