Couple of things

afdani1984

For those who posted on my other thread about DS in his new RN, I mentioned having problems getting the straps tight enough and they kept sliding off his shoudlers. I think I fixed the problem. I moved him up to the 3rd from bottom harness slot. Once I got him to cooperate and sit up as straight as you can get a 9 month old to sit, I realized he was RIGHT at that harness slot. I moved the straps up, and it seems to have fixed the slipping. I also tried the tug-tug-tug instead of tuuuuug and that helps too.

I did notice today when I sat in the back seat with him, that the RN is sort of leaning. It didn't look like this when I first put it in..and the seat hasn't been used that much. Plus the install is rock solid..so not sure what's going on. Anyone else have a problem with a seat tilting? Maybe it was like this when I first installed and I just didn't notice. I suppose it could also be the seats in my car.

Also, DS has issues with head slump when he sleeps in the car. He is too tall for the little infant head insert and it always ends up flung out of the seat. Can I use one of those little infant neck pillows, the ones that look like something you'd use on an airplane, as long as it doesn't interfere with the straps? I don't know if the headrest on the RN will come down anymore, but now that he is in the 3rd harness slot I should be able to adjust that, right?

Thanks in advance!

ADS

HayleyCPST

What type of car is it and are you using latch? If you are using the seat belt, it might be leaning because of the pressure of the locked seat belt. Usually Radians don't tip though since its so low.

Does it tip towards the side it is buckled? If so, it's probably the seat belt.

I'm surprised he's having head slump issues because the radian tends to be so reclined! Can you try adjusting it so it's more reclined? Since he's still pretty little, I would say a 45 degree angle is fine.

You can use the infant pillows that came with the radian. All others are not OK.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
At his age head slump isn't a concern. He can pull his head back up in his sleep. So I wouldn't worry about it. Its only a concern when they can't control their heads and can suffocate with their chins on their chests.

Do you have the seat tethered? If so that will pull it off center.

Wendy

afdani1984

It's installed with the seatbelt in an 08 Chevy Cobalt and is not tethered. I really can't get any more of an angle than I have now or I will lose the rest of my front passenger space. It might just be that it's sitting a little off center on the seat and my seats have kind of an indent in the middle. I will have to see if I can adjust it a little more.

I tried using the pillows that came with the seat and the side ones made it hard to fit J in the seat because they took up too much room, and since the head support velcros to those it didn't really work without them and he would eventually toss it out of the seat.

Thanks for the help!

bbartlettnfld

You can take the head support off the "side pillows" and then use the "side pillows" as a head support. I don't have a photo of what I mean but someone must! The side pillows have these little strings attached to them that you thread through the harness slots (I just tied them around the fabric of the seat itself not the actual shell).Postition the head support so that it is located just above the slots he is using and tie it in place. They make a very cushy support .

BethAnn

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC