Talked car seats with another mama at the Dr today

hrice

She sat next to me with her 5 and 2 yr old and an infant in a bucket. I noticed the belly clip and loose falling off the shoulders straps right away. I sat for a couple of minutes pondering whether I would say something and decided to just go for it. So I turned and told her I am a car seat safety fanatic and wanted to share some information on how to properly secure her baby. She was very receptive and adusted everything and asked if that was right. I showed her the pinch test and how to position the chest clip. I was so happy to see that sweet babe safely restrained! I then handed her an ERF postcard I carry with a link to c-s.org. She thanked me and started reading it. She turned to me again and said can I ask you a question. I of course was thrilled that she wasn't brushing me off and wanted to learn more. She asked about moving her 5 year old to a booster. I told her about it being a maturity thing and that he is at an appropriate age as long as she feels he mature enough. I explained about sitting properly 100%of the time. I also explained when a FF harnessed seat is outgrown and that there are seats with higher harness limits that convert to a booster. She was very thankful.

Anyway that's it. Just wanted to share :)

ADS

afdani1984

We took J to the doctor for his 9 month well-baby today and he was talking about some general baby safety info and mentioned 5-pt harnesses, which I knew was going to lead to the 1 & 20 conversation. We told him we were planning to do ERF. He seemed really impressed and pleased. It's always nice when you can impress even your doctor :D

I'm glad you got to help that woman and that she was so receptive to your info :)

Kat_Momof3

YAY!! I hope she gets her seats checked to make sure her installs and the straps on her other little ones are correct. Awesome job!! :thumbsup:

hrice

YAY!! I hope she gets her seats checked to make sure her installs and the straps on her other little ones are correct. Awesome job!! :thumbsup:

I told her to log on here to ask questions about restraints for her other kiddos so hopefully we'll be hearing from her soon!

autumnlily

Fantastic!!!

I did the same thing yesterday at work and then asked the lady what it was that I said to make our conversation inviting and me not being a nosy bystander... and she said it was because of the way I started the conversation. "Hi, I'm a CPST and I noticed something on your seat that might make it easier to adjust - do you mind if I share it with you?"

Oh it feels glorious when someone appreciates you for being helpful! Good job for reaching out to her and risking rejection. It's always worth it.

luckyclov

I must be a jerk because anytime I decide to make the effort (except for the times people approach *me*), they get all defensive, ignore me, or try to find something *I'm* doing wrong. Lame.:rolleyes:

Anyways, yay for you making a difference!:thumbsup:

Harmony96

That is great! I did something similar a while back when I noticed a baby with a "belly clip" in her car seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC