how times have changed

alake

I was talking to a good friend of mine. She has two kids, aged 12 and 8. I told her that we bought S. and L. new car seats. She told me, that we must be happy to have both of them in booster seats now, that they are older. I told her that we had infact had just put S. back into a harness. She said isn't she way to big to be in a harness, and isn't L. at the age where she could be in a booster. I explained that Leah only weighs 30 pounds, and that Summer truly hates her booster seat, and that is why we put her back into a harness.

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
My oldest is 15. My youngest is 5. During that 10 years, so much changed... but in reality, with an 8 year old, you'd think she would be a little more aware...or you'd hope! Even my (now) 13 year old was in a 65lb harnessed seat!

-Nicole.

alake

I know, but didn't know what to say, both of her kids are very tall. Her son is also on the heavier side, so he maybe out of a booster seat in either way.

Jillybeans5

My oldest is 15. My youngest is 5. During that 10 years, so much changed... but in reality, with an 8 year old, you'd think she would be a little more aware...or you'd hope! Even my (now) 13 year old was in a 65lb harnessed seat!

-Nicole.

Just curious, what 65 lb harness seat was available for your 13 year old? I couldn't find HWH seats for my nearly 13 yr old son when he want over 40 lbs at barely 3.

QuassEE

The Marathon came out in 2002. He was only 5 at the time, and used it until he was 49" and about 52lbs. It had a 65lb limit. Prior to that, he was in a Canadian 48lb NextStep harnessed. Afterwards, he was in a Britax Super Elite and Husky for long trips and then a booster for around town. The Super Elite was definitely available prior to the Marathon (2001?), the Elite before that (1999?).. and the Airway and Futura were also higher weight harnessed seats available around that timeframe. The Futura went to 60lbs and was made in 2001 for sure, maybe earlier. There were quite a few higher weight harnessed options in the US, and 48/47lb harnessed options in Canada in the early 2000s.

-Nicole.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The Marathon came out in 2002. He was only 5 at the time, and used it until he was 49" and about 52lbs. It had a 65lb limit. Prior to that, he was in a Canadian 48lb NextStep harnessed. Afterwards, he was in a Britax Super Elite and Husky for long trips and then a booster for around town. The Super Elite was definitely available prior to the Marathon (2001?), the Elite before that (1999?).. and the Airway and Futura were also higher weight harnessed seats available around that timeframe. The Futura went to 60lbs and was made in 2001 for sure, maybe earlier. There were quite a few higher weight harnessed options in the US, and 48/47lb harnessed options in Canada in the early 2000s.

-Nicole.

My almost 15yo (less than 2 weeks, eek!) was EH until 80lbs and 10yo. Century Breverra 45#, Fisher Price Futura 60#, Britax Super Elite 80#, Britax Husky 80#.

I bought one of the first batch of MA's for Christmas in 2001 (DOM 9/13/01) for DS using DD's eminent birth and upcoming need to pass down DS's RA (not that she was tall enough to fit into it for months, LOL) as an excuse.

The Futura came out before the Super Elite, but the Airway was just a bit after.

Keeanh

Yep, my oldest, 12, was in a Century Breverra. It had a 47lb (or 48lb?) limit. MIL had one of those Evenflo Express seats for her (also 47lb limit). A Marathon was waaay out of our price range.

QuassEE

Century seats were 48, Evenflo 47 :)

I'm pretty foggy on the dates--I suppose the Marathon was late 2001, but I recall something about it being IMPOSSIBLE to get them until 2002 so that's probably why I'm mentally off a year on that.

-N.

hipmaman

Ha, my oldest is 11 now and I remember biting the bullet to get her the Roundabout from Li'l Niblets (the only Canadian store that carry the only Canadian Britax seat) in early 2000. $300 and GST!

She outgrew her Evenflo On-my-way at 3.5 mos (yeah yeah, recall on that one) and Fisher-Price was revamping the Safe Embrace and no stock available. This is also when most babies were ff at 6 mos old or 20 lbs (because 20 lbs was the upper rf limit for most seats)). So I had to make the parental decision to keep her rf in the RA (which was the same as the US RA) beyond 20 lbs, as seats with rf limit to 30+ lbs were not out until months later :(

Even when my ds was born, the MA was not out yet. He was lean but long so he outgrew the Fisher Price infant seat (name escape me right now. The one with the shoulder strap) and we had another RA for him which lasted for a couple of years, until the MA came out in 2002.

I even bought another MA for my oldest when she was 5 and I wanted her to continue harnessing. This was before the Radian or anything like that, the MA was the only seat with relatively tall top harness slots. That lasted her about 1 extra yr for the 1" of shoulder height growth.

Sigh... How much things have changed and have improved for us. My dd#2 is now a bit older than 3.5 yrs old and still rf while the other two had to ff at around 18 months.

Jillybeans5

Maybe there just wasn't anything available locally in 2001 when he outgrew all the 40 lb seats. I lived in Oklahoma, was young, broke, & without internet; that is probably why I couldn't find any.

snowbird25ca

Just noting for clarification sake, that until May 2007, the only seats available in Canada that harnessed above 48lbs were special needs seats.

There has been a gigantic amount of change in the time since I've been a tech, let alone the time since my dd was born - even beyond the higher weight limits.. we have more seats with higher top harness height, energy absorbing foam is present in almost every seat now when it wasn't 6 yrs ago, and there's a larger selection of seats to choose from. Heck, most seats on the market now will take a child to booster age both by height and weight - the same couldn't be said 5 years ago.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC