Which is more comfy....

abbi_n_nadia

On long car rides Nautilus or Frontier85? Which is more padded?

We are going to be driving back and forth quite often from Ft leavenwoth to Wichita Kansas, 4 ish hour drive. After an hour and half my dd was complaining about being uncomfortable in the XTSL. I've often wondered why they put a thin layer of memory foam in it which seems to me like it squishes flat and provides no padding at all!! But anyways which would be better comfort wise, a GN or FR85? We might go up to BRU to try them out but thought I'd ask here first. :)

ADS

momtotwogirls

I dont have a Nautilus and am expecting at frontier but Ive heard alot of kids get uncomfortable with the crotch buckle on the Naut, mostly boys but some girls. The crotch buckle just doesn't go out very far

Kayleen

We don't make the long trip often, but DD has never complained about riding in her GN for our 5-6 hour drive. We generally stop every 2 hours anyway for bathroom and meals. Depending on what time of day we travel. Sometimes I stop 1 or 2 times, other times its more like 3-4.

ETA: we generally have the DVD player set up so she is completely occupied during the trip.

Baylor

I have to GN's and Neither boy, 6 at the time and 3 now have ever complained about the buckle. My older son has the gray/black one. And that is not as cushy as the Garrison GN that DS2 has.

It fits them well too.

I saw the FR85 this weekend and it is a really nice seat!

ahgirls

I have never had a complaint with F85 its used for 5+ hour trips. Last fall I used it for a 9 hour all day drive. I think it just depends on how much padding is normal for your kids seat. If you get a seat that has more padding then their normal seat it will feel better every time.
We use the GN in our second car. DH decided to be save on gas and take his car on a 2 hour day trip. DD2 complaint 1 hr in our trip that her bottom hurt but she was used to ridding in a marathon at the time. I don't know if the marathon has as much padding as the F85. I don't feel like going out to the cold and checking right now.

WhatAboutPuppy

When we were in the market for a HWH i had Gavin sit in both the GN and the Frontier 80 (this was about a year before the 85 came out). He chose the frontier and never complained. Our longest drives were about an hour but they were quite frequent he also had a daily drive of about 45 min each way to and from school and such and never complained there either.
He chose the frontier over the nauti because if the roominess. He said he could "wiggle" more. Lol mind you, he is harnessed beyond snuggly. It was the fact that he had extra room at his shoulders and could cross his legs (crisscross applesauce) in frontier and no way in the nauti.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Kaede's_Mom

We have the GN and the older frontier. DD doesn't like the GN for long trips because of where her legs fall. She says they fall sleep. With the frontier her legs lay differently and she has plenty of room if she wants to cross her legs.

DaniChildcare

I think you would have to see which one fits better, and which one she finds more comfy. It will completely depend on the seat in your car, and the way your DD fits in the seats. :thumbsup:

abbi_n_nadia

Wow thank you all for all the replies! I was already leaning towards the FR85 (love the cow!! Lol) so I'm glad to hear most kids find them comfy. I know it's probably different for every kid and depends on how it fits in the car also. Hopefully we'll get a chance to go up to BRU and try them out. I'm trying to resist impulsively buying the cowmoo!

One question...with the FR85 if they sit with their legs crossed do the cup holders bother them?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC