Switched my 2.5 year old FF, I didn't have a choice

coleslawcat

My son is very large, way off the growth charts. When he was 15 months I bought a Radian XTSL because he was past the RF limits on our Marathon (it was a 33 pound limit). I thought this would last him at least until 3. He still fits in it RF, but he can reach the buckle on the LATCH strap with his foot. He kicks it and loosens the seat every time he's in the van. I tried talking to him, but there is no reasoning with a 2 year old. He is too big for any other RF seat on the market. He is just about 40 pounds right now. I didn't see any other options but to FF him. I feel guilty over this, but I did make the right choice, right?

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
If you want to keep him foward-facing, I'm not opposed to it for a 2.5-year-old. However, if you want to keep him rear-facing we might be able to help you.

First, are you sure your son is loosening the seat or do you just assume that? There have been MANY reports of the Radian's SL LATCH strap loosening on its own. (Not that that solves the problem, but I wanted to mention it.)

Second, have you tried installing it with the seatbelt?

coleslawcat

If you want to keep him foward-facing, I'm not opposed to it for a 2.5-year-old. However, if you want to keep him rear-facing we might be able to help you.

First, are you sure your son is loosening the seat or do you just assume that? There have been MANY reports of the Radian's SL LATCH strap loosening on its own. (Not that that solves the problem, but I wanted to mention it.)

Second, have you tried installing it with the seatbelt?

It is definitely my son doing it. I can hear his foot kicking against the buckle. I even watched him do it while I was parked and waiting for my husband to run into the bank. He thinks it's a new game to play while in the car.

Once I get the baby napping I'm going out to try a seat belt install. I don't know why it didn't occur to me before.

monstah

Once I get the baby napping I'm going out to try a seat belt install. I don't know why it didn't occur to me before.

I'm giggling my butt off here because I racked my brain for over a week about a problem I was having with one of my seats and LATCH. Then my DH said, "Use the seatbelt." and I was :eek: :doh: :ROTFLMAO:

babyherder

Hope the seatbelt works better for you! (And if it doesn't, then yes, I think you did the right thing by ff him)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC