Need some advice

afdani1984

So I'm considering buying another carseat for DH's car. Right now the CA is sitting in there waiting for me to reinstall it, but I'm not sure I'm happy with using that seat anymore. It wasn't on the list of recalled seats, but has the same mechanism as the recalled ones. That and it is a PAIN to install. Plus, it is a huge fight getting my 9 month old into it. I definately don't think I need to buy another $260 seat since it won't get THAT much use.

If I were to get another seat, what are some options I might look into? I'd like something that rearfaces to at least 40 lbs and frontfaces to maybe 50-60 lbs. Hopefully by that point we can look into boostering. I'm not sure how long DS's torso is, but he's at the 2nd from the bottom slot in his RN and it actually goes behind his shoulders a good 2-3 inches. I'd also like something that isn't going to be too much of a bear to travel with, as the RN will probably stay behind if we fly back to the states.

Or should I just suck it up and use the CA until he hits the FF weight limit?

ADS

gsdguenter

The only seats that rf to 40+ lbs. are the Britax 70s, CA, RNs, Scenera (Target version), MR65. Hmmmm, I feel like forgetting one . . .

Where are you moving? If it is Europe you could wait and buy a TWE or MT when you get there as they rf to 55 lbs.

Depending on the weight of your LO you might be able to get a TF since it has a tall shell, but it rf to 35 lbs., not 40.

The MR might be a good option for you since you can get is for $125-160. I just saw one for $126 at my local WM today! It can be incompatible with some cars ffing though.

gsdguenter

Oh wait, I realized you might move back to the US :p

If you post what car DH drives and how much your LO weighs that would help too.

afdani1984

We're stationed in Germany for at least the next 4 years, so any trips back to the US will be to visit family. Right now my husband is driving a 93 euro spec Mitsubishi Lancer. I have no idea what the car "really" is. If that makes sense. Alot of the European cars that have other country makes are usually something else. Like some of the european Chevy models are badged as Chevy but really a Daewoo. All I know is the car is old, has no locking seatbelts and no latch. I considered putting the CA in the middle back seat with just the lapbelt, but since it is a manual transmission DH has to have the seat in a pretty precise location and I'm not sure if it would fit in the center. I went out and attempted to install with the locking clip, and couldn't even get the belt through the belt path right. It kept twisting inside it no matter what I did. I even had a hard time getting the CA installed right in my car with LATCH.

Right now DS is around 23 or 24 lbs (we'll find out exactly tomorrow) and probably around 28-30 inches.

ETA: He's in a RNXTSL in my car, since usually when we go out that's the primary baby mover. Love love love the seat, but like I said..don't need we need another one for what is essentially the "spare" seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC