Question Convertible Seat for Honda Fit, tall baby, tall driver?

aurelia615

Hi there!
We have a baby (5.5mos) who is still in an infant car seat. She is 26.5" long and 16lbs so she'll probably outgrow the seat (30" max height) in length before she outgrows it in weight. We intend on keeping her rear-facing until 2 years old. We have a 2011 Honda Fit and my husband is 6'1", so we're interested in what probably doesn't exist... a convertible car seat that is safe, will accommodate a tall baby/toddler, and doesn't take up a huge amount of room.

So... is this a pipe dream? Or does someone here know of something that will fit the bill?

Thanks in advance :)

ADS

hobblyone

Yes, the Fits are fun for rear facing. We weren't expecting as much trouble as we had finding a seat since the Fit always has felt so roomy front and back before adding the baby. We have a 2009. The curve of the frontseats adds to the issues, esp since car seat can't touch the back of the passenger seat. But there are a some seats that fit. We also were looking for a seat that could rearface w/ both front seats all the way back.

We tried the MyRide inclined to more a new born angle and it had the front seats moved up multiple spots. Complete Air, even more upright, took several notches up rfing.

We didn't try the Evenflo seats because we also were looking for more narrow seat since we have a full back seat. You might want to try those.

The Scenera only required the front seat up only one notch.

The new generation of Britax (Roundabout 55, Marathon 70, Blvd 70) fit the best. The front seat was all the way back. The Britax was reclined for rfing. Definitely check these out. It even could be installed more to the side edge to give more width space in the back. The seats might also not last as long as some other seats that don't fit the Fit w/ front seat all the way back. We were just glad to find something we could rear-face longer and give us space in the front. If we have to switch seats a bit sooner, that is fine. We plan to switch our Blvd out in the FIt for a lower profile car seat in our van once we are ffing. We also felt the Britax was solidly built in case of a side crash.

Pixels

I'm pretty sure the TrueFit fits in the Fit with the seats all the way back.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

abigaylebelle

Oddly enough the best seat I've had rear facing in the fit is the recaro signo g2 (now the recaro proride). I can put the driver's seat all the way back without touching the car seat. It isn't often recommended, but it works great in the fit and my child is still able to rf in it at age 4.
I'd also recommend the evenflo convertibles, the new britaxes even though they have less shell height, the safety 1st complete air, and the true fit.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
aurelia615 said:
Do you mean that your child might outgrow them earlier than other seats?

Thanks to everyone for your help! I'm glad I have a few suggestions :)

She is meaning that the britax seats are outgrown faster then most other seats on the market.

Most convertibles take up less room the infant seats, because they can be installed more upright. So, you should be able to fit somethine if your infant seat fits and doesn't touch the front seats.

Also, how are you installing? LATCH or seatbelt?

Stefanie, cpst in iowa - mom to 4 great kids

aurelia615

Whoops, I replied without being logged in so I don't know how long it will take for that reply to show up, I'll just reply again :)

The Fit has LATCH, but we will probably need to get another car seat for our 2000 Camry which does not have LATCH. We're thinking of going with something cheaper that still gets good safety ratings (it'll be the less-often used car). Unless it's easy enough to switch the seats from car to car?

I had no idea that the car seat couldn't touch the seat in front of it. I assume that is for infant seats as well. I read the Chicco manual (our infant seat is a Keyfit 30) and don't remember seeing that anywhere! Maybe because my husband installed the seat bases?

ETA: the infant seat must not be touching the front seat because I can fit my hand in between the back of the car seat and the front passenger seat in order to push the release button to get the seat out of the base. Phew!

abigaylebelle

I've heard good things about Recaro seats. Do those tend to be longer?

ETA: Just re-read the thread and saw that they are recommended :)

Yeah I'm the one who recommended the recaro. They aren't generally recommended on this site because they don't have a lot of legroom rear facing/leg support forward facing and they sit up high on a base. However it has worked the best for front legroom in my fit so that might be beneficial for you. I don't know what the manual for the newer fit says but in my 08 you can use either of the two rear seatback positions and if you recline it then the child will gain rearfacing legroom.
The recaro has a pretty high shell so it will get most kids rearfacing to age 2 or beyond, but it only has a 35lb rf limit (as does the true fit).
The true fit will also work well in the fit and it is a better choice for larger children.
Anyway I just wanted to point out the possible choices that fit in the Honda Fit. I always find it immensely helpful if you can find a nearby store where you can try out the seats in person to get a feel for what works best for you and your child. Have fun shopping!

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC