So I played with the FR85 today!

Baylor

Well well, I never realized what you all meant about the no rethread harness.. or why it was such a great thing.. But playing with that and seeing how it fit DS1... Man.. What a cool seat! I think I am going to order one from Amazon they are about 50.00 off right now.

I am so excited! Now to pick color!

ADS

momtotwogirls

Albeebaby has them but i think all but the onyx is back ordered for at least 2 weeks. I ordered from them initially but they said they werent getting any in until March 9th so i cancelled and ordered through amazon it was 223.99 and i signed up for their amazon prime and got free 3 day shipping.

Baylor

albeebaby has them for $209 right now.
Thanks! I will check that out!
Does the 85 have mesh covers? If it does, avoid the mesh, avoid the mesh...

yeah.. I don't like mesh.. How will I know? Does it specifically say? Or can someone who has seen all the styles tell me.. They had the tan one there today.
The cow doesn't have mesh...

(I've heard the blue doesn't either, but you need to go with cow)

I want COW! I think it is cool but DS does not.. I may have to buy him one and then the COW for the baby!

Can I ask how these booster? Do people like the fit as a booster?

VoodooChile

We have the 80 version and are really happy with it as a booster. If the cow fabric is the same as on the MA, it's really plush and soft. I'd like to ride in it. Heck, I fit just fine in dd's Frontier :whistle:

Baylor

We have the 80 version and are really happy with it as a booster. If the cow fabric is the same as on the MA, it's really plush and soft. I'd like to ride in it. Heck, I fit just fine in dd's Frontier :whistle:

:D I was thinking the same thing today.. this is an amazing seat!

Just raising the headrest and moving the harness and seeing all the room DS had? I may have to buy 2! Oh boy..

These place needs a disclaimer. ;)

TerisBoys

There's a screw on the back that comes out for booster mode (at least there was on the original Frontier 80). Once it's out, it's the tallest belt-positioning booster on the market.

Amazing seat, really.

Pink, Red and Rushmore (grey) have the mesh. It's really snaggy and stuff like crumbs and lint get caught under it.

Baylor

There's a screw on the back that comes out for booster mode (at least there was on the original Frontier 80). Once it's out, it's the tallest belt-positioning booster on the market.

Amazing seat, really.

Pink, Red and Rushmore (grey) have the mesh. It's really snaggy and stuff like crumbs and lint get caught under it.

Thanks! I can not wait to have this seat and my van back!

A few more questions? Can you adjust this when it is already installed? So that I could change it for DS2?

I could not believe how much harness height my DS1 had in it!

Mae

Okay.. So I have to take it out.. But still no re threading.. That in itself.. JOY!!!

Did I notice a recline foot too??:)

Yeah, but it's not exactly what you're thinking, I'm sure. ;)

The recline foot MUST be "reclined" when used in harness mode, and it MUST be upright when in booster. But it can cause problems, like in this thread: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=161113

I have pictures, give me a second.

In some cases, it makes the recline foot slip forward. See, I have an "acceptable" install here, but within a day or two, that foot slips forward off the seat, making it loose again. I haven't tried just installing it with the foot off the seat, because I don't like it that way.

162882_176791132350389_100000585107656_529413_5570436_n.jpg

This is how much of a gap there would be. I don't like it, so I use my RN XTSL instead.

155875_176785659017603_100000585107656_529385_5390212_n.jpg

Mae

Of course though, don't let that change your opinion on buying it! The FR85 still works in many cars. :)

I would buy it from somewhere that you can return it without any hassle, just in case you do have that problem though. :)

emtb79

I have the Onyx and Cow both non-mesh. Cow is very plushy and soft. The Onyx is smooth I love both. Tomorrow morning I can provide Real LIfe pics.

Baylor

Of course though, don't let that change your opinion on buying it! The FR85 still works in many cars. :)

I would buy it from somewhere that you can return it without any hassle, just in case you do have that problem though. :)

Well maybe you can help me think this through.. Based on a Nautilus base I have a good 3 inches on front of the seat with it installed rock solid. I don't know how the bases compare.. Now in my Dh's car I can see it being a problem because the GN's are just completely on the seat. But in my van, I have a good sized bench and the GN's sit really well.

I did not bother trying it in my car today because I have DH's car til mine is fixed. Maybe I will wait until I get my van back to be sure. It is a GC2001.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC