Question Flex Loc and baby with form of Reflux

DaniChildcare

Not sure this is the right section, but it is about car seats. Not sure if it should go in special needs or not though? Sorry if it's the wrong section!

For a little background, the infant i watch is 3months old and has some form of Reflux (most likely GER)

She sleeps fine, in the seat, but i have noticed that the way the seat is formed, she literally is "bent" and not really laying out in this seat, so i've noticed when i take her out of the seat, she arches her back, and is obviouly uncomfortable. These are the times i'm noticing the "acid" smell in her breath most.

Is there a different infant seat i can recommend to them? What about convertible seats?

She will outgrow this seat by the time she's 6 months old by height (it's the 22 version) so it probably won't be worth it to get another infant seat, except that she has 2 older siblings, and it is much easier to take her out of the car in the seat. Can someone recommend both one or both?

ADS

Pixels

The back of the BabyTrend is straight, not curved. Make sure her bottom is all the way back in the seat.

finn

ds was in this seat until he outgrew it at around 5 months, he also had reflux & hated the seat. We moved him into a convertible, a Safe and Sound Meridian AHR, which I'm 99% sure is the same as your Britax Boulevard, he hated that as well :(

I think car seats are just hard on their tummies. He then had a Brio Zento & a Britax Multi Tech both of which he also hated. He liked the Britax High-Way but outgrew it at 3 years 9 months, so we moved him into a Britax Frontier which he adores.

Sorry for the novel lol

He outgrew his reflux at around 18 months but it didnt make any difference to him liking car seats lol

Pixels

So you're referring to the 90 degree bend that is the seat bottom. No, I'm pretty sure they all have a 90ish degree bend to form the seat bottom.

henrietta

Carseats are not the best thing for reflux for babies, period. They are pretty much all at the wrong angle for that, but some seem to be more comfortable than others. It's more just trial and error. My lo's both loved the Evenflo Triumphs.

FWIW, if you can smell acid on her breath, her reflux is undertreated and probably needs medicated. That is NOT a good sign. That's enough acid coming up to damage her throat and trachea, to go back down into lungs and cause pneumonia, and to obviously cause pain. Not all "reflux" needs to be treated, but some does. Please talk to her parents about it. If it all possible, try not to feed her before you need to drive her anywhere. It would be best if her little tummy didn't have food put in it for a bit before a drive (maybe an hour, if possible).

hths

henrietta

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Infant seats typically do cause babies to "slouch" more and create that curve you described. I think there are a couple that have inserts that help with this problem (the Britax Chaperone, for example) and others with adjustable crotch buckles that can be set closer to the baby to prevent slouching, but I think it would be rather silly to buy a new infant seat at this point.

Switching to a convertible will most likely help; they can just try them out in the store to check for fit and see which ones keep her back the straightest. When my kids were reflux babies, I could have told you which specific seats were best for that, but I don't know which of the current seats do.

DaniChildcare

Carseats are not the best thing for reflux for babies, period. They are pretty much all at the wrong angle for that, but some seem to be more comfortable than others. It's more just trial and error. My lo's both loved the Evenflo Triumphs.

FWIW, if you can smell acid on her breath, her reflux is undertreated and probably needs medicated. That is NOT a good sign. That's enough acid coming up to damage her throat and trachea, to go back down into lungs and cause pneumonia, and to obviously cause pain. Not all "reflux" needs to be treated, but some does. Please talk to her parents about it. If it all possible, try not to feed her before you need to drive her anywhere. It would be best if her little tummy didn't have food put in it for a bit before a drive (maybe an hour, if possible).

hthshenrietta

Henrietta,

I completely agree with you. She is 3mo, and the dr has given them no real help. I know very little about reflux, but even the simplest searches i've run tell you what angle a baby with reflux should be at. The dr has basically told them to keep her "upright" the problem is, that they weren't given instruction on what angle she should be at, and that being a "C" shape isn't ideal.

The first time i smelled the acid, i checked her clothes and such for vomit, and then realized it was actually coming from her breath. :eek:

Lara,
Thanks for the link to that thread ... that's what i was trying to describe, she's too much in a C shape in her seat.

They've been talking about buying a new convertible anyways, and since she is super tall, she will outgrow the seat fairly quickly anyways.

Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC