Vomit.. UGH..

Baylor

Okay.. so I took the seat apart and used a natural cleaner on the straps with a paper towel. I just did it over and over and will be ordering new Harness today.

Here is my problem. He vomited into the Harness adjuster well. I have wiped it and I can brush it out, The harness adjuster I pulled all the way out so I had access to clean both sides of the harness strap with paper towels and natural cleaner.
I don't want the smell though. And I just don't see how you can clean it out well enough to get it all.

I hope I got it all, but I will be ordering a new base anyway.
Of course they are out of stock at the moment. What I would like to do is go buy a dedicated booster Or (FR85) for DS1 and switch bases for now. Is that okay?

DS1 has a DOM of 2008 and DS2 is DOM 2010.

Thanks for opinions or any other ideas!

ADS

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I would get DS1 a dedicated booster and use the DOM 2008 for DS2 for now or I would honestly just use the seat since you cleaned it. Just keep an air freshener in the car.

Baylor

I would get DS1 a dedicated booster and use the DOM 2008 for DS2 for now or I would honestly just use the seat since you cleaned it. Just keep an air freshener in the car.

There is nothing I hate more than throw up smell.. UGH!

Thanks! I just wanted to make sure I was not breaking rules!

DaniChildcare

So i haven't looked through my manual for this (since i don't feel like going to get it right now LOL) but is it possible to take the harness adjust out of the slot so you can get in between it?

As gross as this is going to sound, the best thing to get "chunks" out of the harness adjuster is an air compressor (i would wear goggles and old clothes for this activity!)

Dillipop

What "natural" cleaner did you use? When ordering a new harness, see if you can get a new adjuster strap as well.

With vomit, I've always had good luck with a solution of warm water and a drop or 2 of dish soap. Use a wash cloth to wipe down the straps. Then use a wash cloth with just water to rinse. Lay the straps out in the sun to dry. Never had a problem getting out the smell.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
What kind of cleaner was it? You're not supposed to use chemicals on the straps.

Baylor

No chemicals. No bleach. I wet the paper towel and then wiped the straps down.. I did not spray that harness directly. I have another Harness assembly in my Main car for just such an occasion but my car is still in the shop as they try to figure out what the heck is wrong. I pulled every thing off and washed the cover and wiped the whole seat down, I have to wait til they have more bases in stock and I will just order a new one and new harness. I have cleaned things and they smelled clean but in the summer bake.. That smell can come back.. YUCK!

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
What "natural cleaner" did you use?

Just for future, a little baking soda mixed with water and a soft bristle toothbrush are your friend :)

ETA why are you ordering a new base? Just ash the cover and wipe down the plastic...

Last edited:

Baylor

I did wash the cover but he threw up in I have cleaned the harness but I don't think I can get it all out. I don't think you can pull the harness out and rethread it either or I would.

Green works. Nothing abrasive in there.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
.I wouldn't use it on your harness straps. That's just my opinion. A couple drops of dish soap in a sink ok water maybe but NEVER any spray cleaners...

Baylor

.I wouldn't use it on your harness straps. That's just my opinion. A couple drops of dish soap in a sink ok water maybe but NEVER any spray cleaners...

Now you have me thinking. I use it on everything to spot clean because it is amazing. I did not douse the straps or even spray them. I just sprayed a paper towel and wiped them down. I did not douse the paper towel either, It was just so thick and mucusy.(sorry!) that water alone would not break it.

I have a spare set that I will go get from my other car tomorrow and use until I get the new set from graco.

I won't use it the next time if you think it is bad. I was just more worried about using water on the straps.

Dillipop

I won't use it the next time if you think it is bad. I was just more worried about using water on the straps.

Water won't break down the fibers of the straps. Greenworks most likely will. As long as you don't SOAK the straps, a little water is not going to hurt them. A little greenworks probably will, whether you soak them, spray them, or just wipe them with a cloth with some on it.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
For vomit or urine, I take a WET (not just damp but wrung out a little) washcloth and wipe as best I can. Then I get the baking soda, mix with a bit of water to make a very thin "paste" and a soft toothbrush and lightly scrub the straps. Use a clean WET washcloth to wipe off the baking soda. Put on a towel and pat dry Hang out to sun dry if possible. (I sometimes lay them flat between 2 towels and press on the top towel (like you would a stain on a carpet) if there is no way to sun dry them... I then drape them over a clothes hanger to dry.

For food I use a baby wipe as soon as it happens or a damp washcloth when we get home.

Baylor

For vomit or urine, I take a WET (not just damp but wrung out a little) washcloth and wipe as best I can. Then I get the baking soda, mix with a bit of water to make a very thin "paste" and a soft toothbrush and lightly scrub the straps. Use a clean WET washcloth to wipe off the baking soda. Put on a towel and pat dry Hang out to sun dry if possible. (I sometimes lay them flat between 2 towels and press on the top towel (like you would a stain on a carpet) if there is no way to sun dry them... I then drape them over a clothes hanger to dry.

For food I use a baby wipe as soon as it happens or a damp washcloth when we get home.

Thanks for the lesson.. that makes perfect sense. I don't know why but cleaning vomit makes my brain go dead. I can not stand it. We have a standing rule in the family that DH is the vomit cleaner but when it comes to the car seats I do it. I know his solution would be to hose the whole thing down, so that is a NO GO. I HATE cleaning throw up. It is usually all I can do not to barf myself.. lol. At least this kid warns me. He told me he was going to throw up. In my car I have blankets under the seat for cold days or emergencies and I just would have thrown that over him, but I was in my Mom's car.

I guess that the lesson is even natural cleaners are no good. I hope others can learn from my mistake. I always have an extra harness, so I will switch it out later and then order a new one as back up when they get them back in stock.

Thank you!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC