s/o: Vehicle Inspections

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Someone on another thread mentioned that most states require annual inspections of vehicles. That (generally) hasn't been my experience so I was wondering how widespread the practice is.

So, what does your city/county/state/etc require? What do they check? How often?

In CA you just need a smog check every few years.

Edit: I realize this probably should go in the Car Safety forum, but the thread I'm spinning off from is in this forum and no one reads Car Safety. :p

ADS

crunchierthanthou

Utah required a safety inspection every year (windshield, lights, signals, brakes...), and an emissions inspection every other year up to ~7 years vehicle age, and then emissions every year after that.

and, uh... we still have Utah plates. :eek:

Cilia

Clark and Washoe Counties in Nevada (pretty much Las Vegas/Henderson and Reno) require a smog check every year once the vehicle has been registered for more than two years.

Last edited:

erikanohelani

I live in MS and they do require inspections annually. We have to keep an updated inspection sticker on our vehicles. I cannot remember all they check, but I found this list online.

* Windshield wipers.
* Rear and front lights on the vehicle.
* Turn signals.
* Brakes.
* Shocks and struts.

In addition to this I know they check to see that the windshield is free of any major cracks on the drivers side.

They do not issue a sticker if the car's tint does not comply with state law.

krasota

Virginia requires a yearly inspection. Northern Virginia counties might require smog checks, but I've never lived there. Maryland required inspections and smog (near DC). I don't think Indiana required checks of any sort, but I last drove an Indiana titled car ten years ago, so I can't remember.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
In my part of VA, I must have a safety inspection every year and an emissions check every other year.

I think state inspection is $18 and emissions is $26? I think?

christineka

Utah required a safety inspection every year (windshield, lights, signals, brakes...), and an emissions inspection every other year up to ~7 years vehicle age, and then emissions every year after that.

This is not entirely true. If you live in Tooele county (and quite possibly others) there is no emissions inspection.

If your car is less than 8 years old it only needs inspection every other year.

fyrfightermomma

7 counties surrounding Milwaukee county in Wisconsin: Every 2 years you get an emission inspection. Cars prior to 1998 get a tailpipe test. They drive the car on a dyno machine with a hose attached to the tail pipe. Over the limits the State sets and you fail and have to get it repaired and retested. After 3 tests you have to pay to get it tested again. After 1998 we check the onboard computer with a regular old vehicle computer scanner. Any trouble codes and you fail and it needs to be repaired and retested. If your engine light is on, you don't even bother getting it tested as you will fail. Cars prior to 1996 don't get tested. They did a few years ago but they must not have the money to do it anymore

We have registration every year (from like $75 up to around $150 a year I think. I only remember the prices from back when I worked there which started at $48 but it's much more now), but every other year you need to pass emissions to even get your registration

The first 3 emission tests are free (per testing year). After that you pay to test it. So basically for everyone with a car that will pass it's free.

There are no safety inspections in Wisconsin. If you aren't in the 6 county area you also don't need an emission inspection

My first job was actually an emission tester (back when we drove all the cars) and I loved it. Nothing like watching a man sweat and shake when a 16 year old girl gets in his $400,000 car to drive it :p I did it for 5 years. Everyone hated me but it was fun LOL

luckyclov

I think, in GA, as long as your vehicle is 3 years old or less, you don't have to do anything (we never have for as long as we've lived here). Once you reach that 3-year marker, you have to pass an emissions test (annually).

keri1292

NY requires an inspection and emissions test every year. They check for a ton of stuff...

ITEMS INSPECTED ON CARS AND LIGHT TRUCKS

Seat Belts

Inspect for proper operation and anchorage.

Model years 1969 and newer - one seat belt is required for each seating position
Model years 1967 and 1968 - two front seat belts are required (driver position included), and one seat belt is required for each seating position elsewhere in the vehicle
Model years 1965 and 1966 - two front seat belts are required (driver position included)
Your vehicle's Air Bag Warning Lamp will be checked for proper operation. You will be informed if the vehicle's air bag warning lamp is on or is not working. This is an advisement only and not cause for rejection.

Brakes

At least one front wheel must be removed to inspect the brakes.

Brake pedal reserve - brake pedal must have 1/3 reserve
Brake pedal fade - brake must hold for one minute without fading
Power brake unit - check for proper operation
Brake master cylinder - check for leakage and proper fluid level
Disc brake pads - check condition
Drum brake linings - thickness of linings must be at least 1/16 inch on bonded linings or at least 1/32 inch over rivet head on riveted linings, with no loose or missing rivets or lining
Brake drums and/or rotors - check condition
Wheel cylinders and/or calipers - check for leakage
All brake lines and hoses - check for leaks, cracks, chafing, restrictions, and improper support
Parking brake - check for components and function
Brake equalization - test vehicle for a straight stop without significant wheel pull
Steering, Front End, Suspension, Chassis, Frame and Wheel Fasteners

Front end assembly - check condition

Steering wheel play - check for excessive freeplay
All steering linkages - check for tightness or binding, excessive wear and/or looseness in parts, including idler arm, center control arm, tie-rod ends, drag link ends, steering and pitman arms, gear box, cross shafts, bushings, wheel bearings, steering column or steering wheel shaft mounting
Power steering - check operation, condition of belt, and for leakage
Shock absorbers - check shock mountings and for broken or missing shock absorbers
Springs and torsion bars - check for sagging or broken springs, or a broken, disconnected, missing or bent torsion or stabilizer bar
Chassis/frame - check for breaks, cracks, or severe rust at the suspension attachment points
Wheel fasteners - check for missing or broken parts
Tires

(Except spare)

Tread depth - must be at least 2/32 inch when measured in two adjacent major tread grooves showing the most wear
Tire condition - check for any fabric break or cut over the length or width of 1 inch, visible bumps, bulges or knots, and any restricted use designation on the tire
Tire pressure - You will be informed if the vehicle's tire pressure in not within the manufacturer's recommendation. This is an advisement only, and not cause for rejection.
Lights

All lighting must be of an approved type and inspected for operation, proper mounting, and broken or missing lenses. Side marker lamps, parking lamps, and additional flashing turning lamps mounted on the side of the vehicle are not inspected.

Headlamps (low and high beam)
Tail lamps
Stop lamps
Directional signals
Backup lights (1969 and newer)
License plate lights
Hazard warning/four-way flasher (1966 and newer)
Directional signal indicator
Windshield and Other Glass

No crack of 11 inches long or longer is allowed if any part of the crack is within the area cleared by the windshield wiper.

Windshield - check for presence and condition
All windows - check for approved safety glass or rigid plastic and condition
Windshield Wipers and Blades

(Not including rear window or headlamp wipers)

Wipers - check for presence and operation
Blades - check condition
Horn

Check mounting and operation

Mirrors

Check mirror locations for proper mounting, cracks, breaks, and/or discoloration.

Model year 1970 and newer - must have a left outside mirror and an inside mirror, or both left and right outside mirrors
Model year 1968 and newer - must have a left outside mirror
1967 and older - must have one mirror that is either an inside mirror or a left outside mirror

Plus the emissions test.

crunchierthanthou

This is not entirely true. If you live in Tooele county (and quite possibly others) there is no emissions inspection.

If your car is less than 8 years old it only needs inspection every other year.

Oh, that's true. I didn't think about county variances. I was in Salt Lake. and maybe I'm remembering wrong and it was emissions every year and safety every other? All I know is that we owned our car for 9 years, and the last few we had to do both inspections every year.

DahliaRW

I know PA does because we usually take my dh's grandma's car in when we're out visiting her! I think they just check the major safety things (turn signals, brakes, etc, and probably emissions too).

Where I live in WA we have nothing, because I'm rural enough. If I lived 5 minutes closer to a city, I'd have to have an emissions check done every so often. But we don't, YAY!

Baylor

I know PA does because we usually take my dh's grandma's car in when we're out visiting her! I think they just check the major safety things (turn signals, brakes, etc, and probably emissions too).

Where I live in WA we have nothing, because I'm rural enough. If I lived 5 minutes closer to a city, I'd have to have an emissions check done every so often. But we don't, YAY!

Pa is a yearly state inspection. Emissions is a separate sticker but also mandatory. You can get an exemption from Emissions for a classic car or special category. About 81.00 for the pair of stickers.. That is if nothing is wrong.. ;)

NVMBR02

Where I am at in MN there are no vehicle/emissions inspections.

We had the smog checks when I lived in CA, but I don't remember what was checked. My car was only 2 years old and did not need to be inspected while I lived there. NM also didn't have any vehicle inspections when I lived there.

We had pretty strict inspections when we lived in Italy. I think it was rather expensive, if I remember correctly (or maybe that was just the road tax, can't remember)

kalamos23

cpsaddict said:
Oregon requires a smog inspection every 2 years, when you renew your tags.

Not all of oregon does, I think it is only portland area.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

finn

Our cars have to be inspected every 6 months, they check breaks, lights, indicators, windscreen wipers, seatbelts, shocks, tyres & just give the car a general check over. It costs $50 per check.

Cars also have to be registered once a year and that costs $280 :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC