I'd like to learn more about car seat safety

Brianna

Is it worth it to become a certified inspector? The only inspection place in my county is the State Troopers so I don't think I can just pop in there as an inspector, but I would like to learn more so that I'm better qualified to install car seats. Has anybody else taken the training just so you are more knowledgeable for your personal use?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Most of us here are like that. Some, like me, make it a business (though not a full time business for me). Others volunteer only. Still others do it just so they can guarantee that their own kids are safe.

I moved this to carseat chat for you.

Wendy

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Just hanging around and reading here will give you quite the education. Not to the point that you should be installing seats for people, but you'll certainly know a lot more for yourself.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Welcome. :)

I became a tech in order to be certain that every child I drive while babysitting is as safe as possible. After losing a dear friend in a crash, I became so much more aware of car safety in general. Before I was certified I still knew a little of how to install, but I still made so many mistakes and am lucky that nothing happened. So, that's why I became a CPST. :thumbsup:

I volunteer at checks, but I'm hoping to become more active with it.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
https://ssl13.cyzap.net/dzapps/dbza...OURSESEARCH&Webid=safekidscertSQL&pSearch=yes

You can volunteer with a Safe Kids in your area even if you're not a tech. They'll have you scribe for a tech at a check event. It'll be a good chance to see how checks happen, what techs are looking for, how they're interacting with parents, etc. Hopefully there will be good techs there.

Honestly, though, this board is where 99% of the passionate techs are located. We're here helping parents online because we want to be. Most technicians I work with were trained because their chief told them to go and get certified. They're fire or police and didn't become a fireman so they can install carseats. Some are very good, some don't care, and some are downright scary.

When I took my class after having been on the boards for a few months I knew much more than everyone else in my class, and sometimes more than my instructors. So just read everything here and you'll learn more than you will in your class. Your class will get you certified, and it is the best place for hands on practice.

Wendy

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I certified partially to help others, and partially to make sure I was transporting kids safely in my own vehicle. I am a shared nanny to several families, and my job necessitates me installing/uninstalling my seats frequently to change setups, etc. Being certified, I know I'm doing it correctly, plus I can help my families with their seats. I also work checks occasionally and am available for private help.

I definitely think, though, that you learn much more hanging out here -- you learn what you learn in class and then some. So before searching out a class, I might just try hanging out with us here and learning all you can. Then if you STILL have the bug, get connected, find a class, and jump on in! :)

DahliaRW

lovemybabies924 - I've been waiting for a class in our area (I'm assuming you're in W. WA from other posts). It'd be funny if we ended up in the same one. I want to be able to offer to help friends and such with car seats and have some "backing"behind it. I also want to offer to do free checks for families at my kid's school and such.

Baylor

I could not take the class in February here because I had no child care. I think I will be able to in May and I am really excited about it. This place has been invaluable and Now I know when I travel my kids and any other kids in my car are safely secured. I have learned things that I could never have guessed would be important here.

I was told that this place in itself is the very best place to learn.

I had a tech from here come check my seats and she was awesome! She gave me much more information than just how to install the seats, Watched me install them both with latch and seat belts, and when I left there I felt so good about how my kids were riding in my car.

I suggest if possible have your seats checked by someone here and go from there!

lovemybabies924

lovemybabies924 - I've been waiting for a class in our area (I'm assuming you're in W. WA from other posts). It'd be funny if we ended up in the same one. I want to be able to offer to help friends and such with car seats and have some "backing"behind it. I also want to offer to do free checks for families at my kid's school and such.

I'm in Sumas, where are you? I can see the canadian border fence from my back yard, and the cascade foot hills from the side haha

DahliaRW

I'm in Sumas, where are you? I can see the canadian border fence from my back yard, and the cascade foot hills from the side haha

I'm East of Seattle near Redmond/Issaquah. Found 3 classes "near" me, Dupont, Marysville, and Bellingham. But all too far to get sitters for and make it to an 8:30 class. DuPont and Marysville are 1 1/2 - 2 hours away and Bellinghamp 2 - 2 1/2. :( I need one closer to seattle. The days work, just not the locations. Most of the ones I've seen closer to me run on Sundays, and I can't skip my religious obligations to take a class, so that's that!

Brianna

I didn't know the classes were only offered during weekdays, I can't take off work for car seat training unfortunately.... There are also no seat check events anywhere close to my area- is this due to lack of interested techs? I'm kind of sad actually that there aren't any I could help out with, any way to get events closer to my area?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There are often classes that are Friday and Saturday, or Saturday and Sunday for two weekends. Keep your eyes open for those.

Wendy

gsdguenter

Are courses offered more often at certain times of the year than others? I have looked every now and again and can't seem to find any near me.

I did find one in Boston, MA but it is T/W and T/W and I could never take 4 days off work.

Hopefully there are some in NH/MA/ME over the summer so I could take one since I have July and August pretty much off :thumbsup:

Baylor

What I did was look up the local Safe kids coalition and offer to help with volunteering at a seat check. That to me is the first step along with learning as much as I can here.

gsdguenter

Apparently we don't have a local safe kids coalition in NH:rolleyes: But there is one in Boston, about 1.5 hrs. away.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC