My little guy in his new Radian *pics*

afdani1984

Here are a few pics of J in his RNXTSL. For those who asked in my other thread, this is the Shadow cover.

I know it looks like the harness is falling off his shoulder. This was after we got home and I was messing with the seat. I'd just taken the shoulder pads off to see if I could get the harness tighter.
IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg

Does this look like the harness is in the right slot? It's 2 from the bottom right now because when I fitted in the house before install, it looked like he was between 2 and 3, but 3 would put the strap above his shoulders.
IMG_0944.jpg

Does the harness buckle look like it's angled ok?
IMG_0945.jpg

ADS

hrice

The strap height and buckle look fine but that little round thingy around the buckle (belly Pad) actually should rest on his crotch/lower belly between him and the buckle. The straps do need tightening.

What a cutie!

afdani1984

I find it a little difficult to get the straps tight without any gaping behind him. This is even with me pulling down on the harness from behind while pulling the strap at his feet. That's part of the reason I took the pads off, because I thought they might be getting in the way. It's almost like the yoke where the straps connects reaches the bottom of the underpart of the seat and that's as tight as I can get it. I wouldn't consider my son a small baby, so this wasn't a problem I anticipated having. Thanks for the reminder about the little circle thing, I never pay much attention to it when I'm buckling him in. And thank you for the compliment about my little guy. We think he's pretty cute too :)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I take all pads off. I hate them. Remember that the radian has a ratchet system. So you have to pull, release, pull, release, and the harness adjuster. I do pull from the back with RFers a lot too.

tiggercat

He is adorable :) One other thing I noticed is the tether strap hanging loose on the floor. Make sure that is wrapped/tied up so that it can't hang outside of the vehicle. It is possible to run over the end of the strap with your rear wheels and damage the seat.

I agree that the straps could be a bit snugger, but it is hard to tell in pictures. Can you pinch a fold in the harness at the shoulder? If you're not sure if it will tighten more, try removing him from the seat with the straps tight, then try to pull it tighter. Also, try tug-tug-tug rather than tuuuuuuug. The radian has a ratcheting mechanism in the adjuster.

afdani1984

The tether strap is actually still attached to the back of the seat with the zip tie. I was debating using it, but I was satisfied with the angle and the tightness so I decided not to. I'll double check it next time I get back in the car and tuck anything loose back up behind the seat. Thanks for catching that. I'm so used to my car looking like a Toys R Us/Military Surplus store I didn't even notice.

tiggercat

The tether strap is actually still attached to the back of the seat with the zip tie. I was debating using it, but I was satisfied with the angle and the tightness so I decided not to. I'll double check it next time I get back in the car and tuck anything loose back up behind the seat. Thanks for catching that. I'm so used to my car looking like a Toys R Us/Military Surplus store I didn't even notice.

What I am seeing is right underneath the doggie (birdy?)'s chin. Might not be what it looks like :)
If you need help figuring out the RF tether (which is an extra safety feature) let us know.

afdani1984

No, you're right..I'm pretty sure it is some of the excess from the tether. I started trying to undo it when I installed the seat and realized I didn't have anything to cut the zip tie. I tried to tuck everything back in and I guess some of the strap came out and is hanging down.

Thanks for all the help. If I decide to use the RF tether and run into problems I will definately ask for help.

Now I just need to mess with my CA and get it installed right in DH's car. :confused:

hrice

The function of the tether strap is not to help secure your installation. It acts as anti rebound for RF.

cookie123

The baby is darling.:) I love that Radian pattern, too.

I really hope they change the adjuster before I need my next Radian. Oh, and see how a removable head rest like on the True Fit would be nice? He doesn't NEED 2 feed above his head!!

DaniChildcare

haha that's what i thought ... back seat looks just like my 06! yay, now i know it will fit RFing too! i don't have one, but now i know it fits in case i want one! :thumbsup:

afdani1984

haha that's what i thought ... back seat looks just like my 06! yay, now i know it will fit RFing too! i don't have one, but now i know it fits in case i want one! :thumbsup:

It may be a tight fit for front passengers, but yes it does fit. I gained maybe an inch or two of front passenger space back by pushing the headrest up so the top of the RN was over the auto seat. It's not pushing into the auto seat at all. I'm only 5'2 and was able to ride as a front passenger comfortably. It lined up with where I position the driver's seat when I drive, and was only a few inches farther forward than the driver's seat with my husband behind the wheel. I just have to remember to tell any non-family passengers not to push the seat backwards or it'll mess up my install. LoL.

I was actually really worried about the fit too. We're in Germany and the BX on base only had Graco infant buckets and some other seat that didn't even look like it had a brand name on it. I looked at some of the european seats at the BRU off base but wasn't sure if there would be problems with compatibility between a euro seat and an american car. I got my RN off amazon pretty much praying it would fit and work for my son. I think I researched carseats for a good 2 or 3 months before deciding. We were using a Safety 1st Complete Air in my car, and compared to the RN that seat was a GIANT PITA to install. I think I fought with the CA for over an hour, and now it is sitting in my husband's car..waiting for me to tackle it again. I got the RN installed in 15 minutes.

Laurette

The head wings are suposed to be in the top position until the child is using the third from the bottom harness slots. It doesn't really fit right until then.

afdani1984

The head wings are suposed to be in the top position until the child is using the third from the bottom harness slots. It doesn't really fit right until then.

Do the headwings not look like they are in the right spot? I know they are supposed to be in the top position...I just assumed that's where they were when I took it out of the box and couldn't get them to move up anymore.

afdani1984

LoL it's ok. I wondered myself, and I didn't really "mess" with them to see if they moved. I gave it a try and when they didn't move, I moved on to trying to make sure my kid fit in the seat. He's kind of tall, and of course the angle of the photos might make it look like they are wrong too. Next time I get in the car I will check them to make sure.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC