Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My little guy in his new Radian *pics*

Here are a few pics of J in his RNXTSL. For those who asked in my other thread, this is the Shadow cover.

I know it looks like the harness is falling off his shoulder. This was after we got home and I was messing with the seat. I'd just taken the shoulder pads off to see if I could get the harness tighter.

Does this look like the harness is in the right slot? It's 2 from the bottom right now because when I fitted in the house before install, it looked like he was between 2 and 3, but 3 would put the strap above his shoulders.

Does the harness buckle look like it's angled ok?
    --Danielle
    Formula feeding, baby wearing, military mom to Joseph Miko (9 months, 22 lbs & 28.5"), currently RF in a Safety 1st Air Protect Complete and a Radian XTSL

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: My little guy in his new Radian *pics*

The strap height and buckle look fine but that little round thingy around the buckle (belly Pad) actually should rest on his crotch/lower belly between him and the buckle. The straps do need tightening.

What a cutie!
    Heather, proud mommy to:
    Dustin 12y & 105 lbs 5-stepped/Seatbelt only
    Colton 6y & 43lb FF RXT/Pinnacle/FR90
    Peyton 5y & 38lb FF in Sureride/FR90/FR85

I find it a little difficult to get the straps tight without any gaping behind him. This is even with me pulling down on the harness from behind while pulling the strap at his feet. That's part of the reason I took the pads off, because I thought they might be getting in the way. It's almost like the yoke where the straps connects reaches the bottom of the underpart of the seat and that's as tight as I can get it. I wouldn't consider my son a small baby, so this wasn't a problem I anticipated having. Thanks for the reminder about the little circle thing, I never pay much attention to it when I'm buckling him in. And thank you for the compliment about my little guy. We think he's pretty cute too
    --Danielle
    Formula feeding, baby wearing, military mom to Joseph Miko (9 months, 22 lbs & 28.5"), currently RF in a Safety 1st Air Protect Complete and a Radian XTSL

I take all pads off. I hate them. Remember that the radian has a ratchet system. So you have to pull, release, pull, release, and the harness adjuster. I do pull from the back with RFers a lot too.

He is adorable One other thing I noticed is the tether strap hanging loose on the floor. Make sure that is wrapped/tied up so that it can't hang outside of the vehicle. It is possible to run over the end of the strap with your rear wheels and damage the seat.

I agree that the straps could be a bit snugger, but it is hard to tell in pictures. Can you pinch a fold in the harness at the shoulder? If you're not sure if it will tighten more, try removing him from the seat with the straps tight, then try to pull it tighter. Also, try tug-tug-tug rather than tuuuuuuug. The radian has a ratcheting mechanism in the adjuster.
    Natalie, CRST-I, mum of Greg (15), Megan (10), Benjamin and Samuel (6).

The tether strap is actually still attached to the back of the seat with the zip tie. I was debating using it, but I was satisfied with the angle and the tightness so I decided not to. I'll double check it next time I get back in the car and tuck anything loose back up behind the seat. Thanks for catching that. I'm so used to my car looking like a Toys R Us/Military Surplus store I didn't even notice.
    --Danielle

Quote Originally Posted by afdani1984 View Post
    The tether strap is actually still attached to the back of the seat with the zip tie. I was debating using it, but I was satisfied with the angle and the tightness so I decided not to. I'll double check it next time I get back in the car and tuck anything loose back up behind the seat. Thanks for catching that. I'm so used to my car looking like a Toys R Us/Military Surplus store I didn't even notice.
    What I am seeing is right underneath the doggie (birdy?)'s chin. Might not be what it looks like
    If you need help figuring out the RF tether (which is an extra safety feature) let us know.
    Natalie, CRST-I, mum of Greg (15), Megan (10), Benjamin and Samuel (6).

No, you're right..I'm pretty sure it is some of the excess from the tether. I started trying to undo it when I installed the seat and realized I didn't have anything to cut the zip tie. I tried to tuck everything back in and I guess some of the strap came out and is hanging down.

Thanks for all the help. If I decide to use the RF tether and run into problems I will definately ask for help.

Now I just need to mess with my CA and get it installed right in DH's car.
    --Danielle

The function of the tether strap is not to help secure your installation. It acts as anti rebound for RF.
    Heather, proud mommy to:
    Dustin 12y & 105 lbs 5-stepped/Seatbelt only
    Colton 6y & 43lb FF RXT/Pinnacle/FR90
    Peyton 5y & 38lb FF in Sureride/FR90/FR85

aww cute! Shadow is my favorite radian color!
    Julianna 8/15/02,Adult seat belt Fiona 12/1/05 Harmony backless booster Nolan 8/3/08 ffing in a maestro, and booster training in a vivo seat re-arranging at the moment

adorable baby!
    3 big kids in seatbelts
    1 in a Turbo booster or incognito
    1 in a Foonf

What car is this in???

Adorable little guy
    Nanny to Many - Owner Of:
    Graco SafeSeat 1 - Ionic
    Britax Roundabout - CowMoo
    Graco Nautilus - LaGrange

The baby is darling. I love that Radian pattern, too.

I really hope they change the adjuster before I need my next Radian. Oh, and see how a removable head rest like on the True Fit would be nice? He doesn't NEED 2 feed above his head!!
    PEG - Gramma to:
    Hannah - 16 - Seatbelt! Reya - 1.5 4Ever/BLVD/Peg
    Brett - 15 - Seatbelt Nolan - 2.5 - 4Ever/Fllo
    Matt- 11 - Seatbelt Baby Boy due 1/17/19 Pipa
    Griffin - 6 - Parkway SG

Quote Originally Posted by DaniChildcare View Post
    What car is this in???

Adorable little guy

It's a 2008 Chevy Cobalt

And thank you
    --Danielle

haha that's what i thought ... back seat looks just like my 06! yay, now i know it will fit RFing too! i don't have one, but now i know it fits in case i want one!
    Nanny to Many - Owner Of:
    Graco SafeSeat 1 - Ionic
    Britax Roundabout - CowMoo
    Graco Nautilus - LaGrange

Quote Originally Posted by DaniChildcare View Post
    haha that's what i thought ... back seat looks just like my 06! yay, now i know it will fit RFing too! i don't have one, but now i know it fits in case i want one!
    It may be a tight fit for front passengers, but yes it does fit. I gained maybe an inch or two of front passenger space back by pushing the headrest up so the top of the RN was over the auto seat. It's not pushing into the auto seat at all. I'm only 5'2 and was able to ride as a front passenger comfortably. It lined up with where I position the driver's seat when I drive, and was only a few inches farther forward than the driver's seat with my husband behind the wheel. I just have to remember to tell any non-family passengers not to push the seat backwards or it'll mess up my install. LoL.

I was actually really worried about the fit too. We're in Germany and the BX on base only had Graco infant buckets and some other seat that didn't even look like it had a brand name on it. I looked at some of the european seats at the BRU off base but wasn't sure if there would be problems with compatibility between a euro seat and an american car. I got my RN off amazon pretty much praying it would fit and work for my son. I think I researched carseats for a good 2 or 3 months before deciding. We were using a Safety 1st Complete Air in my car, and compared to the RN that seat was a GIANT PITA to install. I think I fought with the CA for over an hour, and now it is sitting in my husband's car..waiting for me to tackle it again. I got the RN installed in 15 minutes.
    --Danielle

Senior Community Member Laurette's Avatar

The head wings are suposed to be in the top position until the child is using the third from the bottom harness slots. It doesn't really fit right until then.
    Former CPST/Mommy to
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j82/nlgm2006/IMG_0508-1.jpg
    adding a new seat to my Mazda5 in June!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurette View Post
    The head wings are suposed to be in the top position until the child is using the third from the bottom harness slots. It doesn't really fit right until then.
    Do the headwings not look like they are in the right spot? I know they are supposed to be in the top position...I just assumed that's where they were when I took it out of the box and couldn't get them to move up anymore.
    --Danielle

Senior Community Member Laurette's Avatar

Ya know, they probably are in the right spot... I'm not sure what made me say that.
    Former CPST/Mommy to
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j82/nlgm2006/IMG_0508-1.jpg
    adding a new seat to my Mazda5 in June!

LoL it's ok. I wondered myself, and I didn't really "mess" with them to see if they moved. I gave it a try and when they didn't move, I moved on to trying to make sure my kid fit in the seat. He's kind of tall, and of course the angle of the photos might make it look like they are wrong too. Next time I get in the car I will check them to make sure.
    --Danielle