So if I was to get seats...

glockchick

Dh is keeping a harnessed seat in his car, maybe two. Which means I need a harnessed seat for a 6 year old, 4 year old, and 3 year old for a 99 suburban hauling 6 kids.

I currently have a MA, FN85, and GN in various places. The FR and GN are in my civic, but that's negotiable.

The 6 year old wants a GN because she wants to sit in the middle of the suburban and I can't get a FR to install well there.

I need to fit another harnessed seat next to it. I'm not sure if another Nauti will fit. I can for sure fit the MA, TB, and old style PW. Oh wait. No I don't. I can put 2 harnessed seats outboard in the 3rd row, but that means the 14 year old has to ride up front. But then I can tether two seats.

And if I can only tether 2 seats, which kid do I not tether? The lightest? The oldest?

Or I could get a higher weight RFing seat for the 3 year old, but that limits who goes where and Abi wouldn't get her middle seat which means she'd gripe about the harnessed seat again. Argh. And the Radian doesn't work in my truck either so I'd only get another 3-4 lbs rearfacing from it.

Maybe I'll just stick with cheap and get Maestros. But then again, Abigail is 47ish lbs. And I hate continuous harnesses. :p

And it would be cool if I could get them all in the same seat in my truck but with different covers. Each to suit their own personalities. :)

Picky? Me? Never... ;)

ADS

DaniChildcare

I see your 6yo is already in a booster, is there any particular reason she wants to be back in a harness?

Honestly, your best solution is to keep her in a booster. You don't have to worry about which kid is not going to be tethered, and seating positions then become much simpler.

She may not get her seating position that she wants, but maybe a pretty new booster she picks out would be sufficient.

glockchick

Her shoulder belt never stays on right. It worries me. She sit right and all, I think it's just the way my truck is or that she's so slender. Also, I just took the EMT class and the pictures I've seen and stories I've heard about kids her age and older in seat belts and boosters are what put it over the edge for me. :(

And I still have to worry about who gets tethered. With her in a booster, she needs a shoulder belt. So I have to put one of the harnessed seats in a middle position lap belt only so I have enough shoulder belts for the other kids.

Right now I have the GN untethered with my 4 year old in it and the MA tethered with the 3 year old. I figure the MA has a higher center of gravity.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I would probably make the same choice of tethered vs untethered in your current setup.

What about Nautilus for the 6yo, Maestro for the 4yo, tether them both, and go RF CA for the 3yo? When he gains those 3-4lbs (in a month, six months, or a year,) you can turn the CA FF -- since it makes a nice FFing seat -- and your 6yo will have had a chance to grow a bit more. Maybe you could then put the 3yo in the Nautilus untethered, move the 6yo to the Maestro as booster (it fits small riders quite well, IIRC,) and put the 4yo tethered in the CA.

glockchick

Thanks. That's a good idea. I have a love/hate relationship with the nautilus. I love everything about it except for the the head slump the kids get when they fall asleep.

I prefer the FR85, but it won't install center which isn't a problem right now but will be when CJ is the only one in a harnessed seat. I like the fact that it has higher strap heights as well.

I tried the CA and wasn't super impressed. It only has a 40" rear facing height limit, right? I also didn't love the fabric and the shoulder straps cut into the kid's neck.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC