Help installing Radian in 2005 Uplander

ErinEmily

I have a 2005 Uplander. My mom brought me a Radian with 12/06 mfg date from Calgary.:thumbsup: The local ones are 08.06 and older.

If I can't get it to fit my van before she goes home on monday my dh is going to make me send it back.

I took some pictures of the installs that I could get solid (only tried lap and shoulder, cus' that's how I want to use it ;) )

The first few pictures are captain's chair drivers side then some passenger side 3rd row bench (though if it goes outboard 3rd row it has to be driveres side for the teather) and center of 3rd row.

With a bit of sweat I could get it solid in all three locations, though I am not sure they are good installs.

In the captain's chair I am concerned that the seat belt is too squished and if enough of the seat is touching the van seat.

In the 3rd row out board I am pretty sure that it is a no go. The only place the seat back touches, when I can get a solid install is just at the top on the head rest. I can put my whole hand behind the seat top to bottom.

In the 3rd row center, there is no head rest, this makes for a better install. I am still worried about the seatbelt being too squished.

any install in the 3rd row required 3 full 360º turns of the male buckle.

Sorry this is so long. Please help me get this car seat to work if it can. I really don't think my 45ish lb 4 year old son is mature enough for a booster.

though while I am posting pictures, the last one will be of him sleeping in his Evenflo Chase being used as a booster. Is it safe this way?

Thank you so much in advance for your help. The next car seat clinic here is early June and if I can keep the seat I am planning to go to that, but until them...

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mrsnodecam/album?.dir=/ae5fre2&.src=ph&.tok=ph998sGBLt3vcjYm

Thank you.

Erin Mitchell - Saskatoon

ADS

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Do the head rests not come out all the way??? Check the owners manual.

Also why the locking clip??? and '05 really shouldn't need one are the switchable seat belts???

ErinEmily

The head rests don't come out, don't adjust either. The seats fold flat forward and the head rests flip back out of the way.

The seat belts leck if I pull them all the way out if that is what you mean. When I did that I would get like 3-4 " of forward/ back movement when it won't move side to side.

I could try again but I could get it WAY tighter with the locking clip than with the retracting seat belt. I couldn't actually get a halfway decent tightness with just the seat belt.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
ok how long are the stalks on the seat belt ??? I know you said that you had to twist a full 3 times and it was still moving some... what about if you leave the seat belt and let it go into the belt path will it reach??? pic found in my siggy link of what i'm talking about. I'm off to bed but will check back in the AM and see if i we can get the seat to work for ya! :) i really love ours a lot!

ErinEmily

ok how long are the stalks on the seat belt ??? I know you said that you had to twist a full 3 times and it was still moving some... what about if you leave the seat belt and let it go into the belt path will it reach???

Ok, I tried that.

DSC01875-notwists.serendipityThumb.jpg

Does it look ok? It had a bit of front to back movement before I did up the teather. With the teather it seems rock solid.

Oh, I desperately want to keep this seat. Am I fooling my self?

Thanks,

Erin

becca011906

Senior Community Member
if it was me, i would move the locking clip a little so that it lays fulling the belt path i know it might be more then 1/2 inch but laying flat would be better.
Remember front to back movement is ok, just not more then 1" of movement at the belt path side to side.
Also you said you can flip the haed rest back, can you do that and install the seat? maybe that would get it more flush with the seat...

ErinEmily

This is center of third row. Here there is not a head rest. The head rests out board, when they flip only flip when the seat is folding flat.

I will try moving the locking clip a bit. THANK YOU!

Erin

rachel3612

Senior Community Member
There is a trick with the locking seat belts. Install it like you normally would and get it as tight as possible with the seat belt locked. Then unbuckle it but hold onto the belt and only let it go in a couple of clicks, then bounce in the seat to get it buckled again. If it buckles with little effort, undo it again and let it in a few more clicks then bounce and buckle it again, it usually takes two people, one to bounce all their weight in the seat and one to buckle. That will be easier than a locking clip. Also when tightening it, pull the shoulder part from the buckle side first to get the lap part tight, then pull the shoulder part from the other side to feed it into the retractor.

Rachel
cpst since 2002

Mom2nj

Can you try reclining the seat and getting the seatbelt as tight as possible then push the seat back into the upright position. That's how I got our Radian rock solid with the seatbelt in the 3rd row of our Olds sillouhette.

all together ooky

My neighbor has an uplander...
You CAN get the headrests to go back (in the third row) but it will take two people-PITA. The headrest will tilt back when the seatback is folded forward flat (like youwould do if you were taking the seatout of the van). While it is folded flat have one person hold it in that position and then put the seatback upright again. That person that is holding the headrest back will have to hold it in that position the entire time you are installing the Radian. When you have the Radian in good and tight the person that is holding the headrest can let go.
Caveat-I do not know if the Radian will install tight in the outboard third row-I didn't have the patience. :eek:
It does go in nicely RF though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC