Car Rental in Hungary--Sceneras or Something Else?

cat mommy

We will be traveling to Hungary and renting a car. The kids will be 1.5 years. Usually, we travel with Scenera 40s, but I don't know if those will work in a rental car there? I really don't want to have to deal with a locking clip!

If the Sceneras won't work, what would be a good, inexpensive alternative? DD is about 23 pounds and DS is 20 pounds now and short to average height. I would prefer a seat that fits nicely on a Walmart luggage cart (like the Sceneras do).

There is NO WAY I am dragging my Britaxes along (for a myriad of reasons).

BTW: We are flying Lufthansa, so we don't expect any issues with the seats on the plane.

ADS

mommycat

Well, that's a tough one! I would think a rental car may have a good chance of having isofix, but on the other hand, if it doesn't, it is very likely that the seatbelts will not lock, requiring a locking clip. I traveled to Poland with both a Scenera and a Britax Marathon and liked both of them for travelling. If you are dead set against taking the Britaxes (which would make the locking clip unnecessary) then I would really say you should practice the locking clip installs with the Sceneras and just use those.

The only other seat besides Britax that has lockoffs is the TrueFit, IIRC, and those are pretty wide. I wouldn't count on them fitting in trans-atlantic airline seats all that well.

The only other option would maybe be a couple of SnugRide32 or 35s, if the kids still fit in them by height - at least 1" of shell above the head (my DS fit until about 18mo but it depends on torso length). The bases have lockoffs.

Lucy_R

We traveled to Slovakia(and made some trips to Hungary) last summer, and I must say that having to mess around with a locking clip would have been a nightmare. We ended up in 3 different vehicles, and only one of those had ISOFIX. I used an MA and the lock-offs were a godsend. If you are picking your rental car, I suppose you could make sure it had ISOFIX, but I honestly would have hated dealing with a locking clip.

BananaBoat

I would just urge you to get very comfortable with your locking clip. The majority of seats that are light & travel-friendly don't have lock-offs, so you're kind of in a bind in that regard.

We've traveled between Germany, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia & Greece with DD over the past 2 years & have always needed a locking clip. I have yet to find a rental car with ISOFIX (we've rented Opal Astras & Fiats) & have also not found it or locking seat belts in any other cars we traveled in - including Mercedes taxis in Germany that were only a couple years old. It's just a fact of life over in Europe, so I'd be well prepared. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC