Finally!

amymariee

Im from around Edmonton Alberta, and today I was watching "Global Edmonton, News Hour Final" and they had a car seat ad on saying how 68 alberta children die every year from improper use.
I was so happy to see an ad of this type on tv. They were saying that a lot of people are getting pretty good with harnessed use,. but people are not using boosters once the children hit 40 pounds =] Sadly though they said Alberta is the only province were it is not a law!

Whats the rules in your province

ADS

selinajean

In BC children must be in a booster seat until they are 4'9" or 9 years old. I wish there was a minimum age on booster use but there isn't.

mam521

Awesome that Global is bringing awareness to the forefront!

Booster law may not be present in AB, but manufacturer instruction states 40lb minimum (which I think is in CMVSS 213.3? Trudy? lol!) and I know of a lot of 3yr olds in boosters... :O

Unfortunately, I personally don't have a lot of faith in the law enforcement agencies in the Edmonton area as I've seen so much misuse and no reprocussions for it. I don't fully understand why the police agencies don't have basic, basic carseat knowledge - enough to recognize a top tether is required, that there shouldn't be more than an inch of movement along the belt path and that the harness needs to be tight with the chest clip at armpit (not ANKLE) level. Knowing these basics would certainly identify major faults/misuse and hopefully force people to see a tech and safely secure their child. I mean they know that a regular seatbelt needs to be buckled, be it shoulder strap or simple lap belt and ticket when people are not in accordance. Why is it acceptable for children to be improperly secured? *sigh*

smackeen

Here is ours for PEI:

In Prince Edward Island, it is the law that young children must be placed in an approved child restraint system that is appropriate for them.
Infants from birth weight to 10 kg (22 lb) and a minimum of one year of age must travel in a rear-facing child restraint seat.
Toddlers from 9 to 18 kg (22 to 40 lb) must travel in a child restraint seat.
Children who weigh 18 kilograms (40 pounds) or more must be in a booster seat if they are nine years of age or under and shorter than 145 centimetres (4' 9").

Chances are this would never be enforced though. My sisters boyfriend is rcmp and he admits that he does not know much about child restraints.

selinajean

Wow! I totally missed that! Did the old laws (pre-2008) say 4yrs?

I don't think so, but am not positive. I think it is one of those things that is strongly recommended by a lot of the booster manufacturers so it gets handed down into our general info as what should be done.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Sadly though they said Alberta is the only province were it is not a law!

Whats the rules in your province
Well that's not true. Saskatchewan and Manitoba have no booster legislation either. Although Manitoba at least has their car seat legislation required a seat to 5 and 50#. Apparently Northwest Territories and Nunavut also don't have booster legislation, but the source I used wasn't up to date so maybe they've implemented something in the last few years.

Chila88

For those of us that live in provinces without booster legislation (I'm in SK) what does it take to get it legislated? Have their been any movements to do so? How did it come about it in the other provinces?

simplychels

For those of us that live in provinces without booster legislation (I'm in SK) what does it take to get it legislated? Have their been any movements to do so? How did it come about it in the other provinces?

When I did my tech course in SK (Oct 2010) the instructors were saying it's been introduced to the leg to try to implement a booster law. How long it takes, or how far they were into it is beyond me though. But they did say it was "in the works". :rolleyes:

Shanora

Last I heard about Alberta is that the Premier mentioned something about a booster law, but nothing ever went forward about it.

The NWT/Nunuvut have one of the most lax laws around. The only thing it says if in a child Restrain until 40lbs. Thats it, Nothing about RFing or FFing, or and age.

As far as I know there isn't even anything in the works to change that either....

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Well, that would've been a combination of a sign of the times and the culture in that area. My oldest was in a booster at 4.. Different world back then.

-N.

Chila88

When I did my tech course in SK (Oct 2010) the instructors were saying it's been introduced to the leg to try to implement a booster law. How long it takes, or how far they were into it is beyond me though. But they did say it was "in the works". :rolleyes:

Are the courses in SK offered through SGI, or is it through St. John's Ambulance.....or perhaps the SK Prevention Institute?

Those are my guesses....but I'm not really sure. Just curious!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor

In some cases it's injury prevention pushes that get the legislation moving forward, in Alberta, the only way it will happen under the current government is if enough citizens write in expressing that they want there to be a booster law.

Last I heard about Alberta is that the Premier mentioned something about a booster law, but nothing ever went forward about it.

The NWT/Nunuvut have one of the most lax laws around. The only thing it says if in a child Restrain until 40lbs. Thats it, Nothing about RFing or FFing, or and age.

As far as I know there isn't even anything in the works to change that either....

There is no rf'ing or ff'ing in AB law either - but we have proper use, which gives rf'ing and ff'ing by that. The law itself is just under 6 or under 40lbs must be properly restrained.

Last time I had a conversation with some of the people deep inside injury prevention in the province what I was told is that the government feels "Albertans don't like to be told what to do" and that there won't be a law that comes in to effect basically until there's public pressure. I've been told that the best way to get a law enacted is through writing letters to your MLA, the premier, and the minister of transport. Apparently handwritten letters are weighted as representing a certain amount of the population since so few people take the time and effort to write a letter and mail it these days...

I have a letter that was close to completion, but never finished it.

Are the courses in SK offered through SGI, or is it through St. John's Ambulance.....or perhaps the SK Prevention Institute?

Those are my guesses....but I'm not really sure. Just curious!

SGI runs the course for free, but teaches the SJA curriculum and certifies techs through SJA.

The Edmonton area news stations have actually been pretty good at regularly having spots on car seat safety. As for local law enforcement, there are a few certified techs on the Edmonton Police Service, and I can tell you that the ones I have met are very passionate and truly are trying to make a difference. There are roadside checks set up in Edmonton and area where there are techs with the officers roadside, but they're only semi-regular.

Most police on traffic duty should know the different parts of the law and what to write a ticket on - and because you can be fined for not having a seat top tethered, they would be aware that seats legally need to be tethered. However - a seat has to be occupied for a ticket to be issued, and if a parent is being pulled over for some reason, they may or may not check how the child is restrained. And really, given that most officers aren't trained to evaluate misuse at a glance - and realistically can't be, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

The course that myself, hipmaman, and quassee taught in Ontario had some members of law enforcement in it, and they were very grateful to be taking the course. They expressed how they always wanted to be able to give information when they had people pulled over for traffic stops, but were never completely sure that what they were seeing was right or wrong unless it was blatantly obvious. They were very much looking forward to being able to spot what was correct and incorrect in the future, and being able to give accurate information. I would guess that this would be the case with most police officers - but training takes resources, and police have a whole lot of different areas that they are responsible for in the interest of enforcing the law.

Would it be nice to see higher levels of enforcement? Yes, provided it was accurate enforcement. Do I see it happening anytime soon? No, not at all - there's just not the resources.

FWIW, in Alberta, parents can be ticketed for children who are out of a harnessed seat but not in a booster if the seatbelt isn't being worn properly. And given the uncomfortable fit of most lap/shoulder belts when a child is small enough to be in a booster, it's a high probability that the shoulder belt will be under the arm or behind the back. So tickets do get written for that - just as they get written for improper booster use... we may not have a booster law, but if you're using one and then misuse it, you can be ticketed for it. I don't know the law in all provinces the way I do the AB law, but it's kind of an odd law in many ways. For instance, I could tell you by looking at a seat that a child is ff'ing in a seat that doesn't allow it before a year - but most techs wouldn't know which models have the 1yr age minimum and which don't... even techs have limitations based on what part of their job involves being a tech.

Anyways, there's the novel on things in Alberta. We need to catch up with the other provinces. I do believe that SK or else MB has booster legislation in the works, and AB has the research now to support the need for booster legislation - it's just a matter of convincing the politicians that whether the public likes it or not, they need to be told what to do in this case.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC