Question For CPST re: insurance

Joddle

So, I did my tech course a few weeks ago and my certificate came yesterday so I thought I was already to go!!!
But I posted on an Aussie car seat forum about it, and someone started asking me about insurance.
I CANNOT afford insurance ($1000+/yr for liability insurance) and assumed some sort of insurance would be included with the membership cost. But it's not.
So, do the CPSTs on here have insurance included with their trainning, or do you buy it separately, or do you not have it at all?
Would I need it if I were providing the service for free? Could I be sued over something I did for free?
I have a reciept book that every little detail gets written into, so I'm confident I have my bases covered.
But now I'm just worried/annoyed that this training has done nothing for me, especially if I can't even do it for free without a risk...
I just want kids to be safe :(
TIA for your replies :)

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I have insurance because it's like $80/ year. If it were more I probably wouldn't bother. The odds of being sued are EXTREMELY low (I've heard of one person bring sued, ever) and the chances of being found guilty are even slimmer.

As long as you document well and do things according to your training, you'll probably be fine.

ConnorsMommy

I'm hoping to take the CPST course this summer. Is insurance required for CPSTs in the US (I am in Colorado)? What kind of insurance is it and what does it cover?

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Insurance is not mandated.

If you are a tech who only does check events under Safe Kids, then you're covered by Safe Kids.

If you work under another agency (for example, a police or fire dept or other public agency or private company) and being a CPST is part of your duties, you're covered by your employer.

If you are going to do private checks (free or for a fee) then insurance is a good idea.

Anyone can really be sued for anything at any time. Whether or not the suit has merit, or whether it can be won, is another story.

Anyone who has their cert can find the instructions for obtaining insurance in the tech forum. If you're not certified yet, then be sure to check there after you are. It's around $100 per year. :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Check your local laws as well. In WA state I am specifically named under the good samaritan act. Unless I am acting as a tech for a retail company I cannot be successfully sued. I also document everything and have the parent sign, and they get a copy. So it'd be awfully hard for them to do anything. They're also the last to touch the seat. So it boils down to me doing basically what I do here. Give advice. :)

Even though I charge and am considered a professional I don't carry insurance. I've never carried it.

Wendy

Joddle

As long as you document well and do things according to your training, you'll probably be fine.

Good to know. This reciept-pad is like the king of documentation lol!

Anyone who has their cert can find the instructions for obtaining insurance in the tech forum. If you're not certified yet, then be sure to check there after you are. It's around $100 per year.

Thanks, I will have to get access to the tech forum. It may be around $100/yr in the US, but over here it's at least $1000/yr :(

I also document everything and have the parent sign, and they get a copy. So it'd be awfully hard for them to do anything. They're also the last to touch the seat. So it boils down to me doing basically what I do here. Give advice.

Even though I charge and am considered a professional I don't carry insurance. I've never carried it.

That's really good to hear Wendy, and that would be my plan too, to have the parents do the final install themselves. And I'm confident enough in my skills to be sure their child would be safe with continued proper use of the restraint :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC