how do you feel about this??

On another car seat group we discussed this.. it came up when I realized that Fiona has maxed out the true fit ffing for height, and her torso has grown 2 inches almost since the summer.. she is using the top harness slot of the nautilus.. and then that is that.. probably will barely make it to age 6.

Anyhow she is super skinny light, she was around 33 lbs last time she was weighed but that was like almost a year ago.. so maybe she is 35lbs (I will know tues when I Take her for her well check) We were speculating what if she maxes out the harness on the nautilus for height like this summer and weighes 36 lbs or so.. how I hate the idea of boostering this light of a 5 year old.. someone suggested using a parkway sg even though she is under 40 lbs. just making the parental decision to use it, cause of the sg clip, a lot of people agreed.

What do you guys think of that.. I was planing to use a vivo, but is she better off in the parkway sg? even if she is 36 lbs as oppose to 40? I am deciding what I think.... hopefully she will take a break from growing in the torso and make it to 6 so I Can just booster her with out worrying.. so much

ADS

DaniChildcare

This is from Britax's website, and i'm going to give my interpretation on it:

The PARKWAY SG Belt-Positioning-Booster seat can be used for children 120 lbs. or less as long as the vehicle shoulder belt guide places the belt in the proper position for the child, and the top of the child’s ears are below the top of the head restraint, and the child physically fits in the seat, and is not being used beyond its expiration date (6 years from date of manufacture).

My feeling is, that Britax is striving for people to wait to use the booster once their child is ready. It is rated for 40-120lbs, but then says 120lbs or less, leaving it a little open to interpretation. I think a lot of these boosters are trying to get kids to a more appropriate age to booster, so that people aren't putting their 30lb 2 yo in one, but there are many 6yo's that are barely 40lbs (i was somewhere between 7 & 8 when i hit 40lbs - i was a peanut)

Since the SG clip will keep her from submarining, i would feel comfortable using it, even at not quite 40lbs, even more comfortable if you would be using the SGL version since it has LATCH to keep it in place)

Hey, she might surprise you and weight 39lbs now :p

NannyMom

This was discussed once in SCM. I think someone said the min weights can be important because it can be related to head excursion or chest Gs or something. It's been awhile, so I'm fuzzy on the details.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I'm a boring old goody-goody, no-fun, stick-in-the-mud, but I can't advocate using a seat illegally and against manufacturer's directions when there are reasonable legal alternatives.

I'm a boring old goody-goody, no-fun, stick-in-the-mud, but I can't advocate using a seat illegally and against manufacturer's directions when there are reasonable legal alternatives.
see I am feeling slightly nervous about it too.. would it be better to have a seat with SG used under the weight min, or a seat with out SG that she meets the weight min of.

christineka

see I am feeling slightly nervous about it too.. would it be better to have a seat with SG used under the weight min, or a seat with out SG that she meets the weight min of.

I would get a seat that gives her really great belt fit. The parkway sg didn't give a very good belt fit for my kids, though the sg makes it better. I'd be more comfortable with a seat that gives really good belt fit than one with okay fit with the sg clip.

Pixels

This was discussed once in SCM. I think someone said the min weights can be important because it can be related to head excursion or chest Gs or something. It's been awhile, so I'm fuzzy on the details.

A seat with a 30 pound minimum is tested with the 3yo, 33? pound dummy. A seat with a 40 pound minimum is not tested with the 3yo dummy. The next dummy up is the 6yo, 53? (fifty-something for sure) pound dummy. No difference in the requirements for injury measures, just a difference in which dummies are used.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
A seat with a 30 pound minimum is tested with the 3yo, 33? pound dummy. A seat with a 40 pound minimum is not tested with the 3yo dummy. The next dummy up is the 6yo, 53? (fifty-something for sure) pound dummy. No difference in the requirements for injury measures, just a difference in which dummies are used.

Pixels, am I reading the FMVSS info wrong? It looks like the Parkway SG was tested with the 3 year old dummy and passed, according to the results listed on the 1/10 FMVSS 213 compliance testing. I checked the full report to make sure it was the SG model and not the older Parkway.

Pixels

Hmmm.

Okay, I see now. I was only paying attention to the weight limits, not the height limits.
A child restraint that is recommended by its manufacturer in accordance with S5.5 for use either by children in a specified mass range that includes any children having a mass greater than 10 kg but not greater than 18 kg, or by children in a specified height range that includes any children whose height is greater than 850 mm but not greater than 1100 mm, is tested with a 12-month-old test dummy conforming to part 572 subpart R, and a 3-year-old test dummy conforming to part 572 subpart P and S7.2, provided, however, that the 12-month-old dummy is not used to test a booster seat.
Translation: any seat that is rated to accommodate a child over 22 pounds and less than 40 pounds, or 33.5 inches to 43.3 inches, is tested with the 12 month old and 3yo dummies (but the 12mo dummy is not used for boosters).

The PWSG is rated 40-120 pounds and 38-63 inches. Its weight limits don't require it to be tested with the 3yo dummy, but its height limits do require the 3yo dummy be used.

DaniChildcare

So, would the PWSG then be safe for a not quite 40lb child since it was tested with the 3yo dummy?

I know manufacturers recommendations trump our interpretations of them, but i'm just curious about that.

Pixels

It has met the legal requirements and could be labeled from 30 pounds without them having to do any additional testing. However, the manufacturer has chosen to place a higher weight limit on the seat and we don't know why.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
My dd was 5 1/2 and 35 lbs. when she moved to a booster full-time. We went with the Turbo, it fits her great and of course, she loves the pink! I do have an Old Parkway that we use but she's just now 40 pounds so I use it as a backup. Could you go with a TB for a while until she reaches 40?

the vivo is a great fit, I have not tried her in a parkway sg before. I guess we will see where we are when she starts boostering full time.. for now she is going to booster train in the vivo in DH's car for sure.. (well when hers arrives)

mlohry

I would be very surprised if the SGL fit your child well. It sure did not fit my 45 pound skinny 6 year old son. If I would have been forced to buy it, I would for sure use the SG clip, it would be the only way to keep the belt in the right position. I thought that was ridiculous though. I put him in a HB TB for a while, then he wanted back in the GN harnessed, now he wants an Amp, that fits him great, his brother has one-who would have thought!

JOII

I would be very surprised if the SGL fit your child well. It sure did not fit my 45 pound skinny 6 year old son. If I would have been forced to buy it, I would for sure use the SG clip, it would be the only way to keep the belt in the right position.

:yeahthat:

I have heard many times it actually DOESNT fit littles/skinnies well. My son just turned 6 and is 38lbs fully clothed (46") and though he only sat in one briefly, and it wasnt fully buckled, it just didnt look like it was going to work. I prefer the Vivo to any other booster with his build. The belt fit is great and it surrounds him and his skinny self quite well. :):)

Kat_Momof3

I would be shocked if the Parkway fit well.. I've seen slim and young booster riders demo it in pictures on other threads and the shoulderbelt was often too far to the edge of the shoulder...

I would stick with the vivo... and the vivo's armrests keep that belt so nice and low I really don't see the risk of submarining in it for a child old enough to truly use a booster.

if this was a super-long torso'd 3-4yr old that was already a good 50lbs and had just outgrown the Maestro (giving example here), I'd be pushing the Parkway SG unless budget could afford the Frontier...

but a child who is 5yrs old, well over the minimums, and is outgrowing some of the tallest top slots on the market? I'd just pick the booster that fits her best and go with it.

her vivo arrived today, she is very happy with her color selection, she chose midnight desert, her big sister uses a crimson one (how we know it fits so nicely on Fiona) anyways she loves the one she chose cause it is all plushy and soft, she kept petting it.. she says it looks like vanilla and dark chocolate lol

anyways she did not want to play, we got home from nyc and it was at the front door(Keith and I had our anniversary night and they stayed with his parents.. so she was pooped and wanted to go to bed, so she will get to play and take pics tomorrow!)

BTW off topic but We saw The kings speech and I HIGHLY Recommend it, best movie I have seen in AGES

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC