Question Really flimsy sides? Comfy Carry Elite

purplemama

So I got one of these when they were $50 at Kmart. I really hate the way DD fits in the snugride and I wanted front adjust.
But I have some issues with it. The sides and basically the whole shell is super thin and really flimsy. Like beside the baby's head the seat will really wiggle back and forth several inches. Which makes the foam squeak. I got the cover off and the shell is sooooo thin. So when I install it, it ends up smashed tightly against DS2's XTSL. The XTSL pushes on it so much it actually narrows the interior of the seat. :( Other seats I've installed there kinda push on each other but this one has so much give the XTSL pushes on it alot.
So yeah, this makes me really nervous. DD fits awesome in the harness. The second slots are just below her shoulders and in the closest slot the crotch strap is perfect. In the snugride she's not quite to the bottom slots and there is a mile of room between her and the crotch strap. I'm just not comfortable with her in it yet. I tried her in our backup Titan and I hate her fit in that too.
So I guess I'm asking how you would feel about the flimsy sides? If I could install it with out being side-by-side I would but that's not an option. I'm still just kinda shocked how thin the sides are.

ADS

Kat_Momof3

remember, the seat passed all the testing...seats are made with varying types and firmness of plastic.

some think the more flexible plastics may be a good thing (something to do with moving more with the child when taking the forces in a crash.

in fact, the rigidness of the plastics and the steel reinforcements (according to CPSDARREN on another thread) were why the Graco SS had some issues with chest numbers and the harness pads are required rearfacing.

I really wouldn't be bothered by it because all seats have to pass the same testing.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I can't say that the flimsy sides on their own concern me, but the fact that the Radian is pressing on it enough to narrow the interior of the seat does concern me.

Is there any way to switch what seat is installed where or slide one over slightly so that the shell of the comfy carry doesn't have that much pressure being placed on the side of it?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I can't say that the flimsy sides on their own concern me, but the fact that the Radian is pressing on it enough to narrow the interior of the seat does concern me.

Is there any way to switch what seat is installed where or slide one over slightly so that the shell of the comfy carry doesn't have that much pressure being placed on the side of it?

I had the exact same thoughts. Is there another seat in the car, some reason they must be next to each other?

Did you try your daughter in the SR with a rolled cloth at the crotch to see how she fits like that?

purplemama

I lessened the pressure from the XTSL slightly by installing the Comfy Carry with seatbelt instead of LATCH. I have an '02 Trailblazer, my DS1 (12) sits behind the driver, DS2 (3) is RF in the radian in the center which is very narrow and DD is behind the passenger. The snugride does fit better beside the XT but she doesn't fit well in it. I know she'll fit better soon and we don't go out much. I've got a cloth diaper between her and the crotch strap so she doesn't slide forward and I get the harness nice and tight. So I know she'll be fine in the snugride, I just hate the rear adjust.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC