Recaro Monza Reha

lovemysalr

My daughter is 82 pounds, 51 inches and 7 years old. She is post-stroke, with mild CP and autism. We just got the Recaro Monza Rhea w/isoFIX. (Thank you insurance, thank you!) However, no one seems to know much about it, even the place we bought it from. She seems very comfortable, and I'm pretty sure we have everything set right. (Strap height, belt rides low and also hits right at her shoulder)

Since this is really a booster with positioning harness, is it okay to add a chest clip? She starts out fine in the seat, but within a few miles, she wiggles one or both the straps off her shoulder. Then she freaks out yelling "I'm not safe and cozy!!!!"

I have included two pictures, one of her right as we start out, and one showing how the strap ends up. (Did I load them right??)

5471608280_da57592158.jpg
[/url]
Untitled by Allyson244, on Flickr[/IMG]

Untitled by Allyson244, on Flickr

Last edited:
ADS

Pixels

I'm not really familiar with this seat and haven't read the manual, so I'm shooting from the hip here. Does it adjust up any higher? If the positioning harness was moved up higher, it probably would stay on her shoulder better.

lovemysalr

I does adjust higher. I will try that when she gets home from school. I was just concerned that raising it any higher might put the shoulder strap too close to her neck.:confused:

mish

I'm not familiar with the seat either, but my first instinct would be to say no, you can't add a chest clip. Hopefully someone with more experience can help you out.

Pixels

I say try it and see if moving it up puts the shoulder belt uncomfortably close to her neck. The biggest risk with the shoulder belt touching the neck is that the child is uncomfortable, and then does something like put the shoulder belt behind her back or under her arm to get it off her neck. It seems like your daughter is pretty safety-conscious in regards to how she should be in the car, so hopefully this won't be an issue for her.

I can't see where the belt guides are in relation to her shoulder, but it seems like they are right at her shoulder right now, or even slightly below. They need to stay at or above her shoulder, so you would likely have to move them up soon anyway.

lovemysalr

One of our biggest problem seems to be that no one near us is familiar with this seat or even this type of seat. We can't even get a definitive answer on if we are supposed to buckle to positioning harness first, then the car seat belt, or if we do the seatbelt first then the positioning harness.

The "positioning harness" is about 1" above her shoulder when seated, and the car seat belt hits the seat belt guide at about 1 1/2' above her shoulder.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I'm going from memory here and we all know how reliable that is, but it seems to me that in other pictures I have seen, the harness is fastened first and the seatbelt buckled over that. That might keep her from messing with the belts.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
chickabiddy said:
I'm going from memory here and we all know how reliable that is, but it seems to me that in other pictures I have seen, the harness is fastened first and the seatbelt buckled over that. That might keep her from messing with the belts.

That's what I recall seeing, too.

joyride

I "think" to have read first position harness, then car belt.
In my opinion, because it is only a position harness, you can add a chest clip (if it doesn't interfere with the car belt).
Joy

lovemysalr

Here is the response I got to my question regarding the harness/seat belt order:

"Thank you for your inquiry. In the future, please feel free to contact either me or anyone at ExoMotion, we are the US distributor for ThomasHilfen products (the Recaro Monza is a special needs adaptation which ThomasHilfen provides). When placing your child in the Recaro Monza, please buckle the built in five point positioning harness first then route the car’s three point safety belt over the positioning harness.

Please let me know if you have additional questions, we are here to help."

When I get an answer re: chest clip I will post that also.

vamom

I have been looking at this seat, the snugseat pilot, and the columbia 2400 which is a 5pt harness seat. Snugseat came to my house with a sales rep for a fitting. The columbia rep is coming next. Not much help from teh recaro distributor and no help from merritt. The slipping of the strap is what I was concerned about with the positioning harnesses.

Thanks for the pics. I was really looking for something like this. I posted pics in my thread on special needs seats of the snugseat pilot. My kid is 52.75" 64 # and 8.

lovemysalr

I have been looking at this seat, the snugseat pilot, and the columbia 2400 which is a 5pt harness seat. Snugseat came to my house with a sales rep for a fitting. The columbia rep is coming next. Not much help from teh recaro distributor and no help from merritt. The slipping of the strap is what I was concerned about with the positioning harnesses.

Thanks for the pics. I was really looking for something like this. I posted pics in my thread on special needs seats of the snugseat pilot. My kid is 52.75" 64 # and 8.

She has been very comfortable in this seat and really likes it....except when the strap slips off her shoulder. It is very plush and very cushioned. She really enjoys the speakers in the head rest also. It is smaller than I anticipated and i'm not sure it will last us to max weight. :( Our Monza was the very first one ordered by our DME so it has been a learning process for us.

For the time being I have made the parental decision to add a chest clip. We purchased the SK ones. Since it is going on the positioning straps, and not interfering with the seat belt restraint, I am comfortable with this choice.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC