moving to Canada

U

Unregistered

We are moving to Canada and I assume we will need to buy new carseats for our 2 boys (5 and 2.5 years old). They are both currently in Maxi Cosi Priori's. My 5 year old is small (39 lbs and 40"), do I put him in a booster? I was wanted to buy the Britax Frontier for my 2.5 year. But I can't decide whether or not to put my 5 year old in a Frontier as well, or go straight to a booster. If a booster, which one? The Britax booster reviews were not great in a recent news report here in the USA. What about the Sunshine kids booster, it wasn't evaluated in the report I read. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
May I ask where you found this recent report? Both the Parkway SG/SGL and the Monterey are very nice products. In fact, we have them both in our blog's recommended carseats list. Assuming they fit your child and vehicle, I don't know of any major issues regarding either of them, though of course they each have various pros and cons.

amelia222

In Canada all boosters have a minimum of 40lb, so you will need a harnessed seat for him if the move is soon. Other than the weight, with a big move like that, you probably want to keep as much consistency as possible in the rest of his life so switching to a booster right now might not be the best idea.

If you like the frontier and the 2.5yo is ff, then I'd get two of them.

U

Unregistered

Thanks. The report was done by the IIHS in the US. The Sunshine Kids seat were just not included in the report, they were not poorly rated. After some more research, I think 2 Frontiers might be the best bet.

I assume I should purchase the new seats in Canada, so they have the Canadian specific certification? I was hoping to buy them, ship them down, so we can use them to drive up to Canada when we move in a month. And so I can get rid of my current carseats.

ninejr

You won't find any retailers that will ship Canadian car seats to the US, you will need to buy the new seats when you get here (unless you have a person who will ship them to you, but that will be REALLY expensive and car seats in Canada already cost more). You do need to buy the seats in Canada, they have to have the Canadian stickers (it looks like a little Maple Leaf with a number). You will have a bit of time to get new seats while you try to do all the other car related stuff (import inspections and such).

U

Unregistered

That's what I figured. Now I will be stuck with 2 good carseats that are only 2 years old:( We lived in Denmark before we moved to USA.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You can see about selling your current seats.

Your five year old still fits in the Priori, though? Shoulders below the top slot? You've only got another pound before it's outgrown, and that's weight with clothes and shoes on. Is he still 39 pounds and his shoulders below the top slot dressed?

Wendy

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Which province are you moving to?

As mentioned--we have a 40lb minimum for boosters here..and at that size, you're pretty lucky that you'll be able to continue to harness. If you get a harnessed seat that goes on to make a good booster later, you'll be fine. The Frontier (XT, in Canada) is good for this purpose, as is the Graco Nautilus.

I understand your situation--I made the same move in 2002, and not only was I expected to replace my seats...I was expected to do so at a time when Canada's seat selection was pathetic relative to the US. Fortunately, you'll have a nice assortment of seats to choose from.

-Nicole.

U

Unregistered

Good reminder about the shoulder straps! I double checked today. His shoulders are the strap level, not above. And he is 39lbs with his clothes on, but I didn't take into consideration his winter boots:( I'll get him to kick them off in the van. He's a shorty. But I am anxious to get him a new seat. We knew this move was coming for a few months so I didn't want to spend the money on a new carseat here in the US and then again in Ontario. We are moving in 4 weeks.

Thanks for all the help!!

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Well, since his current seat is outgrown, you would've had to buy another seat anyways :) You're not really out anything. If he's still under the height and weight limits of the seat, I'm sure he won't be exceeding them in 4 weeks.

-N.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC