Is it just a rumour or has anyone actually done it? Radian in overhead?

Mommy090804

Has anyone actually stowed a Radian in the overhead bin during a flight?

I have been searching through past threads, and it is mentioned a lot, but only in one or two cases has anyone reported doing this.

We are flying Alaskan again next month. In the past I have installed two Radians next to each other (window and middle), but DD finds it quite uncomfortable for long trips (5h) since her legs are unsupported and it is impossible for her to sit cross-legged. I have no problem with her sitting in the seatbelt at 6.5 and 45lbs. There is also a possibility that I may have DS sit in the seatbelt as well. They do not sleep on the plane anymore.

We will be bringing their Radians to install in the rental car at our destination. Should I try to stow DD's Radian in the overhead bin? We are very light travellers, and will only have two small backpacks as carry-on between the four of us, so we will be nowhere near the carry-on limit.

What would you do with the carseat(s)? My concern is being allowed by the flight crew to stow the Radian in the overhead bin. We would likely board early so finding room in the bins shouldn't be a problem.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I haven't personally but my cousin and his wife have stowed the XT in the overhead multiple times. They didn't ask. They just did it, and no one told them not to.

Mommy090804

Thanks, Ketchupqueen. Hmmm, maybe we should just board and stow the seat immediately. If there is a problem, then we'll have to install the seat. Gate checking wouldn't be an option.

I think I'd have DS sit in his carseat rather than having to stow two Radians.

Cryssy Jane

I did! I carried my 80sl on my flight to Cali to take it to my mom. I stowed it first thing on the plane right above my seat. I was given no grief what-so-ever but did receive a few awkward looks. It had to lay sideways (long ways) in the overhead bin and I flew southwest.

LittlePeanut

It will really depend on the aircraft type. If you want to post those details (or PM me with flight number and date and I can see if I can locate the aircraft type for you), I can try and see if it will fit. If it's a larger aircraft, you should be fine. If it doesn't fit, I would just install it and see if you can stack your backpacks at her feet (obviously not during taxi, take-off/landing) so she has somewhere to rest them.

Mommy090804

It will really depend on the aircraft type. If you want to post those details (or PM me with flight number and date and I can see if I can locate the aircraft type for you), I can try and see if it will fit. If it's a larger aircraft, you should be fine. If it doesn't fit, I would just install it and see if you can stack your backpacks at her feet (obviously not during taxi, take-off/landing) so she has somewhere to rest them.

It's a 737-800. I would think it would easily fit, since I've seen some pretty big suitcases stowed as carry-on. We have tried stacking the backpacks to support her feet on previous flights, but it just isn't high enough, or maybe we haven't packed enough in them!

Thank you to everyone for their for the input!

Eclipsepearl

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to do that? The Radian fits so well ffing into aircraft seats and your child would be safer with the seat installed.

If you're saving money and flying with a child on your lap, try to get an extra place to use your car seat in. Ask nicely at check-in if your flight is full. If not, ask and try to use it on board. Lap babies are not protected if anything goes wrong.

I own a Radian and flew for a living for 13 years. I can tell you that it should fit in pretty much any aircraft's overhead bin. The problem you might encounter is the fact that everyone is bringing everything they own on board these days. Be especially careful if your airline charges for checked bags. People might get nasty seeing such a large item in the overhead, call over a crew member and insist that it be gate-checked.

The Radian is heavy so they might claim it exceeds the weight limit for the overhead but I can't give you any details on this. If you have a hand weight, bring it in case of a disagreement.

Please, please, please, if the overhead doesn't have some sort of lip or something to stop items from sliding out (often on the 747) be sure it's pushed all the way to the back. Also, monitor what's going on up there. Don't just fuss with your own things during deplaning and get up if you have to. Make sure no one accidently pulls it out and that it doesn't land on someone's head.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Just out of curiosity, why would you want to do that? The Radian fits so well ffing into aircraft seats and your child would be safer with the seat installed.

If you're saving money and flying with a child on your lap, try to get an extra place to use your car seat in. Ask nicely at check-in if your flight is full. If not, ask and try to use it on board. Lap babies are not protected if anything goes wrong.

Her kids are 4.5 and 6.5. I don't think there's a worry about lap babies, and her 6.5 year old is a decent size to sit in just the lap belt. She just doesn't want to check the seat (as she shouldn't) but her daughter (the 6.5 year old) doesn't find it comfortable to sit in for five hours without leg support or the width to cross her legs.

Wendy

DaniChildcare

I've flown Alaskan at least a dozen times, and their staff is pretty much always accommodating. Mind you, i've never flown with car seats, but they are always accommodating to customers with them that i've seen. One woman brought 2 backless boosters on board (with her 2 daughters) and the attendant gladly stored them in the overhead (which has always had a lip on it) without any issues.

I would just get on and do it. Likely the flight attendants aren't going to know they are car seats (since most car seats don't fold) and they give precedence to those that boarded first. The people that board last are the ones out of luck for the bins.

Mommy090804

Her kids are 4.5 and 6.5. I don't think there's a worry about lap babies, and her 6.5 year old is a decent size to sit in just the lap belt. She just doesn't want to check the seat (as she shouldn't) but her daughter (the 6.5 year old) doesn't find it comfortable to sit in for five hours without leg support or the width to cross her legs.

Thank you, Wendy, for clarification as to why I would stow the carseat, and why DD finds the Radian uncomfortable. :) When travelling by car on longer trips, we usually stack a couple rolled sleeping bags under her feet.

I've flown Alaskan at least a dozen times, and their staff is pretty much always accommodating. I would just get on and do it. Likely the flight attendants aren't going to know they are car seats (since most car seats don't fold) and they give precedence to those that boarded first. The people that board last are the ones out of luck for the bins.

Thanks for the tip. I think we will preboard and immediately place the Premier (RN80) in the overhead bin. We will then install DS's XT. (They won't be able to fight over who gets the window seat!) I don't think he minds sitting in it for long periods of time, and since he is a bit smaller, his legs are still supported by the seat. Yes, the nice thing about the Radian is that they are able to completely fold down the tray tables and use them to play, colour and have snacks. :thumbsup:

Thank you to everyone for replying. We are really looking forward to our spring break trip!

Last edited:

ctbcleveland

I have done it before and it worked fine - we were on a boeing flight. IDK the flight number, but it was a 3X3 configuration - maybe the 777?

What we did is have my hubby preboard during the time they say "passengers needing extra time to get down the jetway".... and then we waited and were the last ones on the plane. I think Wendy taught me this trick, IDK.

Mommy090804

Update: The Radian easily fits in the overhead bin on the 737s. In fact, it is smaller than some of the huge carry-on suitcases that some of the other passengers crammed into the bins.

We did pre-board on most flights of this particular trip, and while I installed DS's Radian, DH just placed DD's Radian Premier in the overhead bin above their seats. I think we will travel this way for the next year or so while she still fits in her Radian. She fit just fine in the airplane's seatbelt and was much more comfortable than in her Radian on her last trip - just more room for her and her legs, and easier to sit cross-legged.

I was glad that 4.5 year old DS was in his Radian. On our last flight coming home (later in evening), he was getting sleepy and begged me to sit on my lap. I think he would have been difficult to keep in his seat had he simply been in a seatbelt. Because he was harnessed in his RadianXT he was fussy for only a minute or two before falling asleep.

Thanks everyone for their tips, and I wanted to reply in case anyone else was deciding between taking a Radian and a booster. I have found the Radians to install easily with LATCH in all the newer rental cars.

max

Was the Radian FFing or RFing on the plane? Also, did you run into the superlatch issue when installed in car?

Jan06twinmom

Another follow up question for you...

Why did you decide to take the Radian as opposed to a booster seat for your 6.5 yo? How big is your 6yo?

My DD will be 6.5 yo when we travel this summer. She is about 43in tall and 42lbs. Our choice is between flying with the Radian or the turbobooster. My DD has requested that we take her booster seat for this trip, so I'm leaning that way. She does sit properly in the booster seat when she is in our secondary vehicle.

Her twin brother will be in a booster seat for the trip. He's about 51in tall and 65lbs. Due to his size, the only seat we have that he hasn't outgrown is the Regent and he is going to outgrow that seat soon.

Melanie

Mommy090804

Was the Radian FFing or RFing on the plane? Also, did you run into the superlatch issue when installed in car?

The Radian was installed FFing on the plane.

Our Radians do not have Superlatch, so I cannot comment on Superlatch installation issues.

Another follow up question for you...

Why did you decide to take the Radian as opposed to a booster seat for your 6.5 yo? How big is your 6yo?

At the time of the aforementioned trip, our daughter was about 43" tall and 47lbs. I only began booster training her last fall, and prior to the trip I had not had her ride in a booster at speeds over 25mph (she rode within our small town in a booster only) or for longer than a few minutes. Because we were going to be driving on somewhat unfamiliar roads, I thought the possibly of an accident was higher. Fast forward four months and DD is close to 7yrs and would be horrified if a classmate were to see her in a harnessed seat. Since then she has also made two or three highway trips in her booster (1-2hours).

The current dilemna I am faced with is that we have another airline trip next week. We will be travelling on very busy highways during our vacation. I am much more comfortable with her in a harnessed seat. There will be no classmates around ;) Her Radian will not likely fit in the overhead bin of the smaller planes that we will be travelling on, and I am know gate checking is not a good idea. I am torn between having her sit in her seat on the plane for a 1.5hour flight or bringing a booster (which would have to be stuffed in a suitcase or hopefully placed in the overhead bin). I am leaning towards having her sit in her carseat on the plane. I just don't know what to do with the Radian. I know it might fit in the overhead bin sideways, but not sure if we'll be allowed to bring it on the plane.

Thinking out loud...I think if they will not let us place it in the overhead bin, then I will have her sit in the harnessed seat on the plane.

I think it really depends on if your child is booster-trained well, and if you are comfortable with her in a booster at your destination. As well, how are you planning to pack the booster and/or carseat? Do you have room to pack two boosters in your luggage? Are you planning to bring them on the plane as carry-on? The Radian would definitely be heavier to carry through the airport, but it also depends on how much you have to walk inside the airports. Do people generally place HB boosters in overhead bins or do they place them in their luggage? Or do they only travel with LB boosters?

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Many people on here fly with the Turbo. The back packed in between clothes in a checked bag and then carry the LBB pack on board storing in the overhead bins.

The Compass might fit in the overhead bins, but I can't tell you for sure.

I totally understand wanting her in a 5-point on unfamilar roads. We just went to Colorado from Iowa. The Colorado roads are very curvy.

Jan06twinmom

I think it really depends on if your child is booster-trained well, and if you are comfortable with her in a booster at your destination. As well, how are you planning to pack the booster and/or carseat? Do you have room to pack two boosters in your luggage? Are you planning to bring them on the plane as carry-on? The Radian would definitely be heavier to carry through the airport, but it also depends on how much you have to walk inside the airports. Do people generally place HB boosters in overhead bins or do they place them in their luggage? Or do they only travel with LB boosters?

We are currently on our trip. We ended up bringing the turboboosters for our twins. We packed the two highbacks in a Radian box and checked it with luggage. Since it was a car seat (just not the car seat listed on the box!), I was able to check it for free. I was going to put the backs on our luggage, but it took up too much space.

We carried the nbb with us. On the first flight, we were able to carry the nbb on the plane and stored it under the seat. On the second flight, we were told that you can't carry nbb on the plane and they had to be checked at the gate.

My DD had been using the booster some of the time at home before we came on the trip. In our area, we're driving 40 to 45mph whenever we get on the main road to go somewhere. This has been her first time being in a booster seat on any sort of regular basis. (Her twin brother has been in a booster seat daily since last fall.) My DD has done great in a booster seat on this trip though.

Melanie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC