Special help finding a perfect seat needed, special needs

pickychicmom

Hello! And TIA for offering help :) We have a marathon about to expire and I am looking to purchase a new seat. We have a few special conditions that I need help with.

Vehicle, Jeep Grand Cherokee 2001(? lol) no latch system

Firstly, my daughter is sadly FF at 19mo, because of car sickness and our lengthy(7hr) car trips(for her medical visits) in which she would scream non-stop...enough with me rationalizing, but I do not want moms to think this decision was made lightly.

I am wanting the best protection for a younger FF

she also has a shunt to help regulate her fluids in her brain, so the BEST in head protection is KEY

also she has spina bifida and get pretty uncomfortable on trips so I am wanting a seat or suggesting to make whichever seat a bit more padded in the lowerback/bottom area as she can experience discomfort from sitting too long

lastly if you know of a great deal on the seat your are recommending it is a bonus, but I am very thankful to have a little bit extra atm and my partner and I decided that we should buy our daughter a new car seat that will last and be the best protection available.

I have already looked into recarro(something about the straps seems funky, not behind any shell?)

the graco nautallus(sp?) and elite (looks like it is shorter)

and the britax frontier 85

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
Hi there, and welcome from another SB mom!! My son is 3.5, L4 or so, shunted, and just had surgery for a thoracic cyst.

First, how long has it been since she was RF? Have you tried lately? Sometimes kids outgrow that carsick thing, and often they forget about the fit-throwing. With hydrocephalus, and with the neurological system being involved, I feel like it is ESPECIALLY important to do whatever it takes to rear-face these kids. Gage just turned a few months ago. I know it wasn't an easy decision, and I'm not flaming you for making it at all, but I would try everything in my power to rear-face her again if you can. Something with more leg room than the Marathon might be in order. It could be that the lack of leg room was what was making her mad, not the direction of travel.

Feel free to PM if you like! I love meeting new SB parents!

pickychicmom

still looking for seat suggestions:thumbsup:

she has a very strong attachment(she want to be touched and to see us completely, I still cannot walk out of a room without her screaming), so unless she can see us fully(mirrors did not work) and I have my hand on her touching her in FF she is screaming, she does not do well with travel in general. She also will not sleep in a car, she fights it and only screamed in RF to sleep once as I was unable to have a safe place to pull over:( Traveling is truly a nightmare and FF really was our last and is our last option, but it is what we do...so I could use some ideas and suggestions on seats that are superb for younger ff and maybe with a bit of recline, so she is not with all the pressure/weight on her lower spine, but rather reclined if possible in FF:love:

pickychicmom

The Graco MyRide is extremely reclined FFing. It's like a LaZBoy. It is not the last seat you'll ever need, but it might do you well for now.

I was looking at the my ride 65, is that the same one? How does it rate for head protection compared to a marathon(what we currently have?)also is the recline more-so than our marathon? tia:*

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Yes, it's the MyRide65.

We don't know how seats "compare" for head protection. The MyRide is a nice deep shell and that's a good thing. It seems to be more reclined than a Marathon, but different seats install differently in different vehicles and all that...

jess71903

Ambassador
The MyRide and True Fit were going to be my 2 suggestions. The MyRide is more reclined but probably less padded. I would just try both if you can and see what you/she likes. It's hard to find a True Fit in stores these days unless you have a Buy Buy Baby around.

As someone else mentioned, we don't know how any seat compares to any other for any safety measure, because car seat companies (with the exception of Sunshine Kids) don't publish crash test results. All we know about any seat is that it passed the minimum standards, and is therefore considered just as safe as anything else on the market, provided that it is installed and used correctly.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC