Vent I just hate this...

Kiss Me Deadly

:mad:

A good friend of mine and I went to BRU this weekend to take advantage of the trade-in discount, as she was in the market for a good convertible seat for her 6 month old because she already has plans to ERF. :thumbsup: So proud!

She ended up getting $80 off of a MA70 by trading in a bassinet that someone gave me for free...

Anyway, a lot of her friends and family who think they know what they are talking about are attacking this poor girl and telling her that she is doing something illegal and unsafe by taking her son out of the infant bucket and putting him in the MA. Mind you, these are the same people who keep the kid in the bucket ALL the time, carry it with the baby in it everywhere like a damn piece of luggage, and turn them FF at 20 lbs.

I have found a few articles online about infant seats vs. convertibles, but most were at least 3 years old. I can give her all the info I know, but I just feel badly for her. She is a young, 1st time mom, and is doing all the research she can to make her kid safer, and it's really hurting her feelings.

Do you guys have any info or personal opinions that I can pass along to her so she feels better...

Thanks!

ADS

CommMom

Senior Community Member
Send her here. :D

I've always believed that one of the best things for any new parent (especially young ones) is to help them find a community of supportive folks who are going to encourage them in a) doing the research, b) making their own decisions, and c) being confident of those decisions.

soygurl

Besides sending her here, just have her point out the instructions on the MA to anyone who questions her. It clearly states that the seat is approved for use from 5 lbs. and up on the seat itself, and in the instruction manual! Hopefully that will be enough to at least convince her the disbelievers that she isn't doing anything illegal or unsafe. Tell her to point that out next time, and tell the well-meaning meddlers that she has been told by car seat technicians that the only difference between infant only seats and convertibles is the "convenience" being able to easily snap the seat in and out of the car. :thumbsup:

turtlemama

I'd be asking where their proof is that it is illegal to put a 6 month old in a convertible. Where would the even get that idea?

sunnymw

And maybe remind people that keeping kids in infant seats all the time lowers their oxygen levels... car seats are supposed to be for CARS, not for making your kid into a piece of luggage :)

lukensophie

Senior Community Member
Heh - As someone said before, I'd send her here. There are plenty of people on this board (myself included) who brought their newborns home from the hospital in a convertible.

Just reassure her that a car seat wouldn't have a 5 pound starting weight limit if it weren't appropriate for young babies.

jess71903

Ambassador
Do they think she is turning him FF or something? I bet these are people that "know" the 1 and 20 thing, and think only infant seats RF, therefore it is unsafe to have a 6 month old in anything other than an infant seat. Tell her that many of us techs chose to put our *gasp* NEWBORNS in well-fitting convertibles and SKIP the infant seat!

afdani1984

I did use an infant seat with J up until about 2 months ago. When he was really little it worked, because it was alot nicer than waking him up if he fell asleep in the car. I could pick the bucket right up out of the base and put it in the stroller frame. Once he hit about 15 lbs I couldn't manage carrying the bucket anymore, and the only reason we didn't switch at that point was because we were in the midst of a military PCS. I also babywore, but that's a side note. I don't see anything wrong with starting your child in an infant bucket or going straight to a convertible.

This is my first child, and I understand how difficult it is to feel like you don't know what you are doing, so you reach out to others and it's hard not to take the "experienced" mom's advice as word. An example, my son was a hearty eater, up to 6-7 oz bottles by 8 weeks. We took him for a well baby visit and the doctor we saw (happened to be the one who delivered him) got wide in the eyes and tried to tell us..no you can't feed him that much, he should only be taking 3-4 ozs every 2-3 hours. I remember crying on the way home feeling like I was on the road to turning my son towards obesity. I still struggle with it sometimes, but I'm learning to just accept that my son is a big boy with a good appetite. I agree, pointing her in the direction of some of the mom groups is a good idea. I was part of a Pregnancy/Mom group and it helped tremendously. It's nice to feel like you aren't alone.

I think it's great she plans to do ERF, and even better that she has a friend (you) to keep her in that direction. Eventually as she matures (not that she's immature..just "young") and becomes a more confident parent she will be able to tell people..You're entitled to your opinions and I appreciate the advice, but I birthed this child and I will do what I think is best for him/her.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC