CPST course next week

tarabelle

and I feel like I"m going to hurl.

I don't know why I am so nervous. I've volunteered at checks, I know a lot more than many going in to the class.

I was excited about going until this weekend. Now, anxiety is kicking in. What should I bring with me, what if I am late, what if a, b, c, d, e... take your pick.....

The tech I volunteered with already told me to keep my mouth shut, and I plan to bring a notebook and pen, and water LOL...

Can someone please talk me down? What should I expect?

ADS

soygurl

I think nearly all the c-s.o members who take the course find it *really* easy for the most part. I can see how it would be tough for someone with no car seat experience, but that clearly isn't you! I'm pretty sure everything was provided for my class including note paper. I think I brought my own notebook but never used it. We even had lunch provided (not sure if that's normal or not).

The only thing we were asked to bring was a vehicle, and I made the mistake of not cleaning mine out first! :eek:

Expect to be taught a bunch of stuff you already know, and plan on biting your tongue repeatedly. I was also surprised at how exhausted I was after class every day even though most of it was spent sitting at a desk. That might just be me though.

Really, just take a deep breath. It's going to be fine! I know it's easier said than done, but don't stress! Just relax and enjoy yourself! :thumbsup:

susanx4

I was nervous before mine to! and i had 12 years of carseat experience already! i had to drive an hour every morning, and that got me even more nervous! but i had fun every day! and kissed up to the teachers lol i had another CS.org lady in my class! we had lunch provided every other day, so i packed mine so i didn't need to leave those days we didn't. they provided everything we needed including water and candy! lol and they asked to use our cars too!

So take a deep breath and enjoy your class!

christineka

My class is in two weeks and I'm getting nervous too. Part of that may be because I haven't settled childcare yet. I have ideas, but haven't asked people yet. I should make phone calls this afternoon.

tarabelle

I think nearly all the c-s.o members who take the course find it *really* easy for the most part. I can see how it would be tough for someone with no car seat experience, but that clearly isn't you! I'm pretty sure everything was provided for my class including note paper. I think I brought my own notebook but never used it. We even had lunch provided (not sure if that's normal or not).

The only thing we were asked to bring was a vehicle, and I made the mistake of not cleaning mine out first! :eek:

Expect to be taught a bunch of stuff you already know, and plan on biting your tongue repeatedly. I was also surprised at how exhausted I was after class every day even though most of it was spent sitting at a desk. That might just be me though.

Really, just take a deep breath. It's going to be fine! I know it's easier said than done, but don't stress! Just relax and enjoy yourself! :thumbsup:

Thankfully I got a heads up from the guy I've volunteered with about my instructors..they don't like input. I'll be biting my tongue indeed lol

Thank you guys so much. :love: I don't know why I'm so nervous.

laudymama

I just found out there are only 2 courses offered semi-near me for the rest of the year and they are both starting next week!! (unless they just haven't decided if there will be any courses offered after May that it is). Next week really doesn't sound all that great to me and will be a little tough since it's coming up so quickly, but would hate to find out no more courses were offered until next year! I was soo excited to get certified and now the thought of actually going makes me soo nervous- totally understand where you're coming from....what if I don't do well, what if I say something stupid, etc. etc.!! The list goes on...

ctbcleveland

I am taking in all the good advice. It will be hard for me to bite my tongue - I was so excited in my intro email that I asked the instructor which of my seats I should have in my car for us to practice on and then proceeded to list them :whistle:

I am sure he already thinks I am really, really weird.

morninglori

My class is in about 4 weeks, and I am pretty excited. I have been volunteering for over 2 years at the monthly checks one of the instructors holds. She told me that it will be easy for me. There are a bunch of people with little to no CPS training, and I intend to really listen to them and their questions. I think that this may help in finding other ways to explain CPS to parents - who may have similar questions. Finding different and effective ways to communicate these concepts is one thing I am looking to learn.

tarabelle

I am taking in all the good advice. It will be hard for me to bite my tongue - I was so excited in my intro email that I asked the instructor which of my seats I should have in my car for us to practice on and then proceeded to list them :whistle:

I haven't even contacted my instructors.. should I?

I'm already trying to find a way to explain why my 3yo DD is still RF without sounding like a dork....

christineka

I asked and the instructor said they had tons of seats, so no need to bring mine, but since I have a lot of kids, I can leave half of them installed. I plan to take only the boosters out. I do not want to be installing and uninstalling my radians.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Is recommend uninstalling (and leaving at home) any seats you have and plan to keep using.

They'll use the students cars for installs, so you'll probably have to take seats out anyway. And the seats that are used can face some abuse: getting dragged around the parking lot, carried by the straps, forced into weird positions by people who don't know what they're doing, etc.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Is recommend uninstalling (and leaving at home) any seats you have and plan to keep using.

They'll use the students cars for installs, so you'll probably have to take seats out anyway. And the seats that are used can face some abuse: getting dragged around the parking lot, carried by the straps, forced into weird positions by people who don't know what they're doing, etc.

THIS

I had all of me seats in my van (dropped the kids off to MIL before class every morning) and the instructors actually locked my seats up while students were in and out of the cars. They were afraid one would get broke!

tarabelle

Crud. I can uninstall them for 2 of the 3 days... but the 2nd day I have to drop the girls to the sitter. I will throw the base and seat in the back I guess... or take the car and put them in the trunk.

Saturn Vue or Kia Forte.. safeseat base and MyRide (vue) or Blvd (Forte)..

Thinking the Forte/SS/BLVD combo is going to win

susanx4

I left my 3 seats in for my class, they just used the only open seat for the practice seat and no one touched my seats :) though i got to prove to one instructor that there was indeed a Rf seat that went to 45lbs.. cause my XTSL was in my van! lol

amp

Thank You! This is so good to know! I take my course in April. I guess it makes sense to use available cars, but I wouldn't have expected it. I suppose I better have it some what clean :eek: I may have to put a sign requesting "no removal" of my RN, that thing is a PITA :)

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Don't be nervous! You're going to have so much fun! Just be aware that the first day contains quite a bit of dry material before they start in with the Intro to Child Restraints and actual installation stuff.

Come back and tell us how your first day goes!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC