Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Enter to win Orbit Baby infant seat G2

Saw this on FB today. For Canadians. http://www.yoyomama.ca/2011/02/orbit-baby-contest/
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

2. Thank You from:

3. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: Enter to win Orbit Baby infant seat G2

So, in reading over the article, I'm curious how accurate the statements are that they are making and how much of it is marketing-fancy talk?

The Orbit Baby Infant Car Seat G2, newly available in Canada, is one of the safest car seats on the market. It not only meets the new Canadian standards that are coming into effect in December 2011, it is also one of the first to do so without any needed modifications. It is the first only cross-border car seat to date, passing both U.S. and Canadian motor vehicle safety standards at the same time, which means that traveling parents don’t have to switch out their car seat at the border.
    One of the safest on the market? Really? They all pass the same standards and so all are "safe" and unless they also tested it for other things and have comparative data to prove it, there is not way to say it's actually "safer."

Many of the seats currently in Canada are only requiring a simple statement that includes "walking unassisted" to turn FF to meet the new standards, right? So no big deal and of course a new seat on the market would already have this.

What exactly are they implying with that "cross-border" statement anyhow? Are they suggesting that as a visitor to the US or Canada that you have to switch your seat at the border to comply with the laws? Not true. Are they saying that it will come approved with BOTH FMVSS and CMVSS so it doesn't matter which country you purchase the seat in, that as a legal resident of either, this seat will be legal? That would be nice but I'm not believeing that's what they mean. Call me skeptical.

Still, thanks for the link to the contest

Little Peanut: The Orbit seat is in fact certified for both Canada and the US. I guess it comes with both stickers.

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

6. Thank You from:

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by featherhead View Post
    Little Peanut: The Orbit seat is in fact certified for both Canada and the US. I guess it comes with both stickers.
    Cool! Well that's very impressive and makes it a hit just for that IMO It would be nice if all North American seats were that way.

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Yes, we discovered at KIM that it is the only cross-border approved seat. They had to get a waiver from NHTSA to list metric measurements first as required in Canada, but they did, and all the required wording is there, we double-checked!
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by LittlePeanut View Post
    Many of the seats currently in Canada are only requiring a simple statement that includes "walking unassisted" to turn FF to meet the new standards, right? So no big deal and of course a new seat on the market would already have this.
    The new standards are way more than just the bit about 10 kg and walking unassisted. We don't know officially whether any manufacturers have had to make changes to pass the new testing standards, although I'm quite certain some have had to - or will have to.
    ~Tracey~
    Little Boy 1 - Graco Turbo Booster & Diono Monteray - 6 yrs, 50lbs, 48"
    Little Boy 2 - FF Radian XT - 4 yrs, 42 lbs, 45"

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyd

The new standards are way more than just the bit about 10 kg and walking unassisted. We don't know officially whether any manufacturers have had to make changes to pass the new testing standards, although I'm quite certain some have had to - or will have to.
    I believe what PP was saying is that the only modification that many seats needed was the bit about walking unassisted. The seats passed the new standard (other than the wording) without having to make any changes to the seat.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Pixels View Post
    I believe what PP was saying is that the only modification that many seats needed was the bit about walking unassisted. The seats passed the new standard (other than the wording) without having to make any changes to the seat.
    Sorry yeah, I should have been more clear but that is what I meant

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Pixels View Post
    Yeah, but what I was saying is that we don't actually know if that was the case or not for any of our seats. At least I don't. If a seat was compliant with the new standard at the original Jan 1, 2011 date is that because they didn't need to change anything other than the FF statement or because they were proactive and had their other changes done on time? Unless a company comes out and says they didn't need to make changes (like Orbit did), we don't know that was the case. Maybe another company has said that and I just didn't hear about it.
    ~Tracey~
    Little Boy 1 - Graco Turbo Booster & Diono Monteray - 6 yrs, 50lbs, 48"
    Little Boy 2 - FF Radian XT - 4 yrs, 42 lbs, 45"

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyd View Post
    Yeah, but what I was saying is that we don't actually know if that was the case or not for any of our seats. At least I don't. If a seat was compliant with the new standard at the original Jan 1, 2011 date is that because they didn't need to change anything other than the FF statement or because they were proactive and had their other changes done on time? Unless a company comes out and says they didn't need to make changes (like Orbit did), we don't know that was the case. Maybe another company has said that and I just didn't hear about it.
    I believe SK hasn't had to make any changes, and from conversations I've had with retailers, I think Peg seats meet the new standards.

I know that there are some that don't meet the new standards from a crash test perspective though. And I can tell you it's more than one brand but can't really elaborate on that other than to say that current seats are perfectly safe to be using even if they're having to make changes to meet new standards.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.