Enter to win Orbit Baby infant seat G2

ADS

LittlePeanut

So, in reading over the article, I'm curious how accurate the statements are that they are making and how much of it is marketing-fancy talk?

The Orbit Baby Infant Car Seat G2, newly available in Canada, is one of the safest car seats on the market. It not only meets the new Canadian standards that are coming into effect in December 2011, it is also one of the first to do so without any needed modifications. It is the first only cross-border car seat to date, passing both U.S. and Canadian motor vehicle safety standards at the same time, which means that traveling parents don’t have to switch out their car seat at the border.

One of the safest on the market? Really? They all pass the same standards and so all are "safe" and unless they also tested it for other things and have comparative data to prove it, there is not way to say it's actually "safer."

Many of the seats currently in Canada are only requiring a simple statement that includes "walking unassisted" to turn FF to meet the new standards, right? So no big deal and of course a new seat on the market would already have this.

What exactly are they implying with that "cross-border" statement anyhow? Are they suggesting that as a visitor to the US or Canada that you have to switch your seat at the border to comply with the laws? Not true. Are they saying that it will come approved with BOTH FMVSS and CMVSS so it doesn't matter which country you purchase the seat in, that as a legal resident of either, this seat will be legal? That would be nice but I'm not believeing that's what they mean. Call me skeptical.

Still, thanks for the link to the contest :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yes, we discovered at KIM that it is the only cross-border approved seat. They had to get a waiver from NHTSA to list metric measurements first as required in Canada, but they did, and all the required wording is there, we double-checked!

sparkyd

Many of the seats currently in Canada are only requiring a simple statement that includes "walking unassisted" to turn FF to meet the new standards, right? So no big deal and of course a new seat on the market would already have this.

The new standards are way more than just the bit about 10 kg and walking unassisted. We don't know officially whether any manufacturers have had to make changes to pass the new testing standards, although I'm quite certain some have had to - or will have to.

Pixels

sparkyd said:
The new standards are way more than just the bit about 10 kg and walking unassisted. We don't know officially whether any manufacturers have had to make changes to pass the new testing standards, although I'm quite certain some have had to - or will have to.

I believe what PP was saying is that the only modification that many seats needed was the bit about walking unassisted. The seats passed the new standard (other than the wording) without having to make any changes to the seat.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

LittlePeanut

I believe what PP was saying is that the only modification that many seats needed was the bit about walking unassisted. The seats passed the new standard (other than the wording) without having to make any changes to the seat.

Sorry yeah, I should have been more clear but that is what I meant :eek:

sparkyd

Yeah, but what I was saying is that we don't actually know if that was the case or not for any of our seats. At least I don't. If a seat was compliant with the new standard at the original Jan 1, 2011 date is that because they didn't need to change anything other than the FF statement or because they were proactive and had their other changes done on time? Unless a company comes out and says they didn't need to make changes (like Orbit did), we don't know that was the case. Maybe another company has said that and I just didn't hear about it.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Yeah, but what I was saying is that we don't actually know if that was the case or not for any of our seats. At least I don't. If a seat was compliant with the new standard at the original Jan 1, 2011 date is that because they didn't need to change anything other than the FF statement or because they were proactive and had their other changes done on time? Unless a company comes out and says they didn't need to make changes (like Orbit did), we don't know that was the case. Maybe another company has said that and I just didn't hear about it.

I believe SK hasn't had to make any changes, and from conversations I've had with retailers, I think Peg seats meet the new standards.

I know that there are some that don't meet the new standards from a crash test perspective though. And I can tell you it's more than one brand but can't really elaborate on that other than to say that current seats are perfectly safe to be using even if they're having to make changes to meet new standards. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC