21 months

Splash

Charlie rear faced exclusively (minus a few emergency FF trips at 18ish months) for 21 months and 31 pounds.

I'm turning him in my car. He'll stay RF in the van, but in my car, he's turning.

I don't feel good about it, but I've weighed all my options and I feel like this is the best one for him all around.

This is only just early May, and every day this week the temp has been low-mid 90s. My car does not have rear vents for the AC, and his seat is black fur. I have no better cover to replace it with, but even pure cotton (which I might still buy aftermarket) wouldn't make enough of a difference. His skin is so fragile as is, and this heat is killing it. He's covered in rashes and he cries in the car because he's so uncomfortable.

I have to weigh the very minute risk of me being in an accident where RF would make a significant difference, against the REAL and definite risk of his skin exploding and him being miserable every time we get in the car.

He'll go from RF on the side to FF in the center. In a Boulevard installed with the belt and top tethered. There are some safety advantages to being in the middle as well, but I am mostly going for health and comfort with the move. The air vents will blow straight at him.

He'll continue to rear face in the van, which has ceiling air vents for the rear, until 33 pounds. I hope he doesn't start making a fuss over going back and forth. We'll use the van whenever possible for now.

I so wanted him rear facing until he was at least two years old. I feel like a failure, honestly. I considered this before I bought the vehicle, but everyone told me that it would not be a big deal. And there are so few vehicles with rear air vents now anyway, that I just bought this and hoped for the best. I'd thought we'd get until at least June before it got this hot, but in truth it's been like this for weeks.

I might chicken out and not do it. I haven't done it yet. But within the next few days I think it's pretty much a definite. I don't want to, but I think it's the best option for him.

:(

ADS

djma

I think you're doing what's best considering his other conditions. Don't feel bad. Let us know what he thinks...

arly1983

((((HUGS))))

You kept him RFing for 21 months and that was a major accomplishment.

You have made sure that he is in the safest spot in the car and made sure the seat is top tethered.

I think you have done a good job...and can sorta sympothize with the skin problems ( we have a problems with heat and raw, bleeding eczema)

I SO TOTALLY agree with the heat. It has been in the 90s every day this week here in S. Georgia so I know it HOT down there...

broken4u05

I have the same problem with my BV but it is no big deal for me because they do not have any health problems. and charlie is a big boy he will only have a few more months anyway and so this is for the best for him and his health. I am sorry he didn't make it as far as you wanted him too but 31 pounds is still very good.

Loves2sing

DO NOT beat yourself up over this Splash!!! You promised yourself that you would keep him RF as long as possible, and that is what you are doing!! You are keeping him RF in the van until he is at the weight limit, and you have kept him RF in the car until other circumstances made it impossible to do it any longer. It is not like he is 23 lbs or something. You are doing the right thing, and are making a very well informed decision. This is what is best for Charlie's health, and that is what is most important. To keep him RF in the car any longer would risk getting hm sick, and that isn't worth it when you are sooo close to FF anyway. You are being a great mother, and you are doing the right thing for Charlie!:)

TheRealMacGyver

I was thinking about the heat the other day, it's beginning to feel a lot like summer! I have lived in Florida since 1981 and last summer just seemed exceptionally brutal to me. Hopefully this summer is not as bad, but already it seems like it might be. Anyhow, have you considered window tinting? It would mostly help with direct sun, but technically keeps the car cooler. But, what are we talking about the difference of either 130 or 120 degrees? I've been starting the car, putting the A/C on, then slowly taking my time loading up. I'm considering getting the local alarm and stereo store to install a remote start, this way I could start it and have the A/C going sooner. The other thing I want to look into is getting those rain guard thingies, so I can always leave the windows cracked open a little to at least ventilate a little. They make those battery operated fans that go in your windows, but they don't work for squat. Well, that's my :twocents:

Splash

My windows are tinted beyond what it probably legal. I'm talking really ghetto. I don't like it, but I needed them DARK. And I leave them cracked, as well as the sunroof cracked, almost all the time (unless it is raining or rain looks definite, of course).
I just wish he was older. If he was over two, I wouldn't even fret. But I know that the big safety margin for RF comes in in side impact, not frontal. If he's in the center, and in the best SIP seat available to him, he's already well protected from side impacts.

Even if I could get his seat RF in the center, it would be better, because the vents would blow directly at the back of his seat, plus it would be out of the sun. Grrrr. How can I tell people to keep their kids RF forever, if I can't even do it?

But it does help knowing that, in a few months, the decision would have been made for me anyway. If, come September, he is still under 33 pounds (highly unlikely, but possible), I'll turn him back RF. I just need to get him through the heat of the summer.

I really think that car seats that plug into the cigarette outlet and have heating and cooling strips running all through them would be a fabulous invention.

SPJ&E

I think under those circumstances, you're doing the right thing. Yes, it's safest for him to be rear-facing, BUT if it's making him break out and be in pain all over, that's not good for anyone. You've done the best you can...he's been rear-facing much longer than many other kids out there!

all together ooky

I really think that car seats that plug into the cigarette outlet and have heating and cooling strips running all through them would be a fabulous invention.

I'm all for that! I want that on my own seats.

Charlie isn't tiny or anything. It's great you made it to 31pounds. Don't beat yourself up. :)

Loves2sing

Wow, I can't help but say that I am so jealous of your weather! It has been snowing here for the past 2 days, well it switches between rain and snow, but it sucks all the same. Maybe we should switch houses like on that movie the holiday? You could have Charlie RF, and I could wear a pair of shorts for the first time in 10 months!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC