opinions about (older) kids not being able to open vehicle doors?

singingpond

We're in the midst of a major carseat reshuffle here (replacing several seats that were in a vehicle that was rear-ended several months ago). In the process, I'm also rearranging seats in our old Crown Vic (as well as in the new car that replaced my totaled Corolla).

DS1 (9 1/2 y.o.) has been riding in a HBB for a number of years. DS2 (6 y.o.) was in a Regent in the Crown Vic. For various reasons I'm moving DS2 into a Frontier 85 now in that car. That leaves the Regent pretty much surplus. DS1 still fits in it, and has said he would like to ride in a harnessed seat again for a while (he's still way under 80 pounds, and not too tall for the seat). I've finally managed to get the Regent installed SBP, as needed for his weight. We do have a rear tether anchor for the seat. I think I can just get FR85, RF Radian (for 3 y.o. DD), Regent to fit.

However, this will leave the Regent and the FR85 quite close to the door handles. In this particular vehicle, to open the doors from inside, you have to pull a long metal lever inward, and it takes several inches of travel before the door opens. Installing the two big carseats would mean that neither of the boys would be able to open their doors from inside the vehicle.

DH jokes that this would be a good thing, and I can see his point :). However, I can also see safety arguments the other way.

Any opinions?

To be clear, the vehicle doors wouldn't interfere with the safe install of the seats in any way; just that the occupants of the seats would be unable to open their own doors from inside the vehicle.

Katrin

ETA: I do have one safety reason arguing for having DS1 in a harnessed seat in this vehicle -- we use this car for long family trips, he still falls asleep, and tends to sag out of position in his booster when he does (no locking seatbelts in this car). That would be a small argument in favor of the Regent, although I think he'll probably outgrow the seat height-wise in the next year anyway.

ADS

babyherder

I think keeping your oldest in a harness would be good if he still sleeps and falls out of position. But I think that it could be dangerous for a 9 and 6 year old not to be able to open their own doors. Assuming they know when it is appropriate and/or necessary to open the doors (like in case of a fire in the car) I think its safer if they can do so.

mykidsmom

interesting.... our car has child safety locks so the doors can only be opened from the outside in the back. At what age should we turn that off so that the kids can open the doors from the inside?

Baylor

I like that my 6 yr old can open the doors himself. I don't like to use the safety locks. I keep the 3 yr old in the middle so it is not an issue.

I think that you have to know your kids. I would want to know that if I was trapped my son could get out and possibly get his brother out too.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't like the idea of kids not being able to open the doors if necessary. Then again, I've never had a car where a properly harnessed kid would be able to open the doors while restrained, nor have my kids ever tried to.

Now, I do see the purpose if there's a developmental reason why a kid might try to open a door or something, but in general, no, not a fan of child locks.

OP, in your situation, I'd say it's not ideal, but what else are you going to do? I would probably do the same thing in your situation.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Just pondering... it wouldn't bother me that they couldn't open the doors...but 'worst case scenario', can they open the windows and unbuckle their own harnesses? At least they won't be 'trapped' in the car (or they can scramble through to the front seat doors).

DaniChildcare

I personally wouldn't care for it. I have child locks in my vehicle, but none of the kids i watch can reach the handle when harnessed in their seats anyways. I do keep child locks on during drives, but they switch off, i don't think i'd like the fact that they could NEVER get themselves out.

On a different note, at 9.5, i would maybe find a different HBB that works for him while he sleeps on long trips (or put the regent in the car for long trips) because realistically, he's not going to be able to be harnessed for much longer.

There are quite a few HBB that offer more support for a sleeping kid.

That would be my suggestion.

Athena

interesting.... our car has child safety locks so the doors can only be opened from the outside in the back. At what age should we turn that off so that the kids can open the doors from the inside?

There was a thread on this a while back and, based on my foggy memory :whistle:, the impression I got was that a lot of people thought using the child locks was a horrible thing because supposedly a properly harnessed kid couldn't open the door, while some had stories of their kids not only reaching it, but opening it while traveling.

My toddler could reach it, was fascinated by it, and yes, we use the child locks. But my children are still young and obviously, there will come a time we will unlock them. Like boostering, I don't think that happens at the same age for each child. :twocents: HTH.

Kat_Momof3

it would not bother me AT ALL that a 6yr old can't open doors (Jeffrey broke a finger by being able to open the van's sliding doors at just past 6... aka... he opened it (after I told him AGAIN to not do so till I was out and MY door was shut... AND reminded him to move his hand when I closed it) I closed my door, and BAM) I'm utterly THRILLED Ruthie hasn't figured them out yet (mostly because she has brothers and a very fast mommy))

She can open them from the outside... that's enough.

For the purpose of an emergency, I don't see it being an issue for EMTs/fire department, but I could see wanting the 9yr old to be able to open the door to let them out in case of a car fire (only reason in most cases to not stay in the car until EMTs get there after a crash)

On the OTHER hand... would they still have the ability/option of opening a window for them all to exit from?

I think it depends where you live, and how likely the need in an emergency would be.

We live in a very urban area... I have no doubt that, in your situation, I wouldn't be worried about it because, in an emergency/post crash, I know that there would be people on scene to remove my kids (most likely still all in their seats) from the vehicle... and/or the driver/other adult passenger would be able to let them out.

but if I lived in the hill/mountain filled area where my ILs are with the winding roads and little traffic and houses sometimes a mile or more from the road... I'd want the 9yr old at least to be able to open a door and to know a plan for such an emergency... I'd also want the 6yr old to be able to unbuckle (although at that age, I'd also want them to know how to buckle) and crawl out while the 9yr old helps the 3yr old in that emergency plan.

child locks in use always depend on the design of the car with the seats being used, along with the maturity and impulse control of kids.

I used them when we had a sedan... because the door release was THAT close to Damian in his harnessed seat... and he could do it with his foot.

In my van, I don't need it for when the car is moving... by the time a kid can reach and operate them... they can't mess with them when the car is moving.

However, I have activated it on one of my doors when the kids were younger (so that they would only use the door I wanted them to, so they'd all get out on the same side and we'd only have the one to close), and then I did again awhile until Jeffrey learned to be more careful when opening the sliding doors.

My van automatically locks the doors when moving more than 5mph... I love that... because it means that people who are stupider than me driving down the road (aka... I wish it were a feature in all vehicles) who need to fix an improperly closed door have to pull over and/or wait for a stop light and come to a complete stop (I hate seeing a door open and close on a road... and a highway?? EEEK!

jubgulia

My 4 (soon to be 5) year old can open the Sienna doors and unbuckle himself and his brother. I like it that way. He always asks before unbuckling or opening the door.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC