Anyone have a Land Rover Freelander?

henrietta

My sil had an '02, and she really would prefer to keep my niece in the center (even though, yes, we can get good/better installs outboard). She's just more comfortable w/her only child in the center.

What convertible seats work (or doesn't) in the center? It's a very narrow spot. It will be installed w/the seatbelt only, b/c there's no lower anchors for the center location.

She has her eye on the new Graco Smart Seat (which I thought might work b/c the base looks pretty narrow) and the Safety First Complete Air. I'm pretty sure our Boulevard would work from eyeballing it.

Thanks!

henrietta

ADS

henrietta

My sil had an '02, and she really would prefer to keep my niece in the center (even though, yes, we can get good/better installs outboard). She's just more comfortable w/her only child in the center.

What convertible seats work (or doesn't) in the center? It's a very narrow spot. It will be installed w/the seatbelt only, b/c there's no lower anchors for the center location.

She has her eye on the new Graco Smart Seat (which I thought might work b/c the base looks pretty narrow) and the Safety First Complete Air. I'm pretty sure our Boulevard would work from eyeballing it.

Thanks!

henrietta

I'm reposting this b/c I never got even one reply. ;) Please share your experiences, even w/a similar vehicle. Which convertibles have the most narrow belt path? Which ones are least likely to block her vision? My sil has a vision issue that can make seeing difficult, so she doesn't want a seat that will block her from seeing the right side of her vehicle easily. She's also worried that she won't be able to "reach" my niece if she's outboard (which actually, I'm sure would be easier-convertible in outboard passenger side).

Thanks for any insight!!!

henrietta

Jan06twinmom

I'm pretty sure that my parent's Land Rover is a Freelander. It's probably a 2003 or 2004.

We only did installations outboard with our twins. Our Britax convertible (Decathlon) worked fine. My DH was not able to get the Radians installed in the Freelander. I think he was probably trying to do a rf install, but I'm not sure.

I think it's worth trying your Britax seat in there and the Complete Air. The Complete Air is a narrower seat, but it can also be more difficult to install.

I'm not sure that a seat will work in the middle. It is much safer to have the seat installed outboard properly than in the middle improperly. If the seat is rear-facing and outboard, that is a very safe postion. With twins, my kids have always been outboard and I knew they were extremely safe.

How old is your neice, how big, and is she riding rf or ff?

Melanie

henrietta

I'm pretty sure that my parent's Land Rover is a Freelander. It's probably a 2003 or 2004.

We only did installations outboard with our twins. Our Britax convertible (Decathlon) worked fine. My DH was not able to get the Radians installed in the Freelander. I think he was probably trying to do a rf install, but I'm not sure.

I think it's worth trying your Britax seat in there and the Complete Air. The Complete Air is a narrower seat, but it can also be more difficult to install.

I'm not sure that a seat will work in the middle. It is much safer to have the seat installed outboard properly than in the middle improperly. If the seat is rear-facing and outboard, that is a very safe postion. With twins, my kids have always been outboard and I knew they were extremely safe.

How old is your neice, how big, and is she riding rf or ff?

Melanie

Yeah, we weren't even going to fool w/the Radian, w/it reclining so far and the possible install issues. My brother would flip, and my niece won't be happy leaning back that far for long! LOL

I've told her that the seat is safest wherever it installs correctly, even if that means outboard. We got a great LATCH install w/her infant seat outboard, but she moved it back center, b/c it made her really nervous and she felt like she couldn't reach the baby. So, I'm trying to figure out which few seats to try in the middle. I'm almost 99% sure than an older style Britax will work in the middle, b/c of the narrow base (and no need to fool w/noodles!). She likes the CA, but I know it will need noodles in that spot (fine by me, I can do it), but it still may not work w/the buckle. I'm wondering if the belt path of the My Ride is narrower? The True Fit may fit the bill, but it seems wide at the belt path. My big concern about the Britax is that my niece is short torsoed and very leggy...and very opinionated. I could see her really griping later about her legs--my kids never did (ds1 rearfaced till 3.5 yrs old).

Baby in question is about to turn 1 next week and weighs a whopping 17 lbs soaking wet! She hasn't even come close to outgrowing her infant seat (Maxi Cosi Mico). She's got several inches above her head, and doesn't mind her seat. She mostly sleeps in it now, but I've a feeling that in a few months, as she becomes more mobile (nearly walking now), she'll want to sit up more. She already strains her neck looking around when she's awake. And, of course, she's rear facing, and will hopefully be staying that way for a long time! But I'll be thrilled if my brother and sil keep her that way till at least 2-2.5 yrs old!

Any other thoughts? It's much appreciated!

henrietta

Jan06twinmom

How about trying the Combi Coccoro? It's a smaller seat, so it might fit in that space well. Since the baby is so small, they'll be able to use it for a decent amount of time.

I don't know about the belt paths for different seats, so hopefully someone else can jump in with that information.

Melanie

henrietta

How about trying the Combi Coccoro? It's a smaller seat, so it might fit in that space well. Since the baby is so small, they'll be able to use it for a decent amount of time.

I don't know about the belt paths for different seats, so hopefully someone else can jump in with that information.

Melanie

Yeah, I thought about the Coccorro, too. I think my sil would like it. Well, we still have a little bit of time yet. :)

Thanks!

henrietta

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC