Recommendations for 2 Lightweight Kids?

tel_76

Hi:

We are traveling and will require 2 car seats upon arrival. I am planning on purchasing something on-line and having it shipped ahead to our destination, so affordability is definitely a factor!

For those in-the-know, what are your recommendations for:
5 yr old: 44 inches, ~ 39 pounds (just can't break that 40 pound barrier)
3 yr old: 35 1/2 inches ~27 pounds

Bringing our seats from home is not an option (long story) so any tips on reliable seats that will fit these two kids, and even tips on where to buy at reasonable prices are appreciated.

Thanks!

ADS

babygirlsmom1005

How does the 5 year old do in a high backed booster? If they are booster trained snd it would work for the trip, I would put the 5 year old in a hbb (like the Graco Turbo Booster). If the 5 year old is not able to do the booster seat, I would look into the Evenflo Maestro. For the 3 year old I'd look at the Cosco Scenera.

Jan06twinmom

Evenflo Maestro and the Cosco Scenera were my first thought. Or two Maestros if you want to have a harness for both kids. Or the Graco Turbobooster for the 5 year old and the Scenera or Maestro for the 3 year old.

Will you be using the seats for future trips or just this one time? If you want a seat that will last at least a couple of years, I would definitely go with the Maestro for the 3 year old.

These seats are available at Target. Prices are usually about $80 (Maestro) and $45-50(Scenera and Turbobooster). Sometimes you can find them for a little cheaper though.

Melanie

tel_76

Thx for the replies. Unfortunately (for us) these seats will be left behind - hence the desire to carefully balance price & safety. The booster would not be a problem, I was just hesitant as I know my eldest is not yet at the weight quite yet....(dies he need to be at 40 pounds??)

I will check out the recommended options, and if anyone has any other thoughts send them my way.

Thanks for the help!!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
No, a high back Turbo is 30 pounds.

I don't think a 27 pound child will fit in a lapbelt on the plane, honestly. Is there nothing you can do to bring yours from home?

Wendy

henrietta

Yes, if you're flying, your 3 yr old really needs a harness on the plane...

Others here can tell you about special harnesses for the plane if you can't take his seat for whatever reason.

There's really no reason to ditch the seats you are buying--you could carry the bottom of the high back Graco Turbo booster on the plane and put it in the overhead bin (and pack the back in your suitcase, padded by clothes). And your 3 yr old should be riding in a harnessed seat or harness for the plane (I think at least one of them is good for in the car, too).

hths

henrietta

tel_76

Hi:

Was not aware of the 30 pound weight for the highback booster - will check that out.

Regarding the scenera - could the harness be used for both kids? would it fit?

I do have the flight portion of our travels covered (CARES Harness) which does make things somewhat less complicated. Have schlepped Britax seats through the airports on many trips and am sooo looking forward to something lighter :)

Thanks for the help - will look into all of these options!

Leche Mami

Hi:

Was not aware of the 30 pound weight for the highback booster - will check that out.

Regarding the scenera - could the harness be used for both kids? would it fit?

I do have the flight portion of our travels covered (CARES Harness) which does make things somewhat less complicated. Have schlepped Britax seats through the airports on many trips and am sooo looking forward to something lighter :)

Thanks for the help - will look into all of these options!

You can use a cheap luggage cart or folding dolly to schlep your seats instead of carrying them if that is of interest to you. We have a folding dolly (was about $20 at Costco) that we use for our weekly pilgrimage to the library with a crate on it to haul our 50ish books home in. So, we can also use it for car-seats. We also have a GoGoKidzTravelmate which we love but a folding luggage cart/dolly would do the trick for less money. We don't travel with a stroller. We use a beco baby carrier and the car-seat on wheels. Often, our carry-ons actually ride in the car-seat and I schlep baby on my back in the beco.

DaniChildcare

the Scenera only goes to 40lbs. I wouldn't risk putting your 5yo in it, since fully clothed, s/he could be over 40, and could very likely be too tall. I really wouldn't since your 5yo is SO close to the weight limit of the seat.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The CARES won't make the lap belt fit any better, though. It doesn't tighten the lap portion, or provide any antisubmarining device. It just puts a harness over their shoulders.

The five year old probably will fit ok on the planes. I'd bring a booster and be done with it. And at just about 40 pounds I'd be ok with a Turbo backless, or get a backless with a 30 pound rating. Most three to four year olds are outgrowing the Scenera, so I'd be shocked if your child fit.

Your younger child should still fit rear facing in the Scenera. Forward facing, maybe not. And as it weighs nine pounds instead of a Britax's 25, I'd bring it on board. You can also use a Traveling Toddler or a GoGo Kidz or a luggage cart and bungee to simply wheel it around the airport. Attach the booster to your handle, and that's it.. You've got two seats with you for the kids. That's what I do for my two.

Wendy

tel_76

I was under the impression that Booster Seats were not allowed on the flight? Is that not correct? OR maybe you just meant bring the booster along? Will look into all these options. Disappointed about the CARES was really excited about this being an option!!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Right, just bring it along. It's not safe to check carseats, so put the booster in the overhead or under a seat in front of you. That also guarantees that it gets to your destination with you, and doesn't get diverted or left behind.

Wendy

DaniChildcare

Boosters can't be used in flight, but can be brought along. You could consider a backless turbo, or even a harmony literider if you'd like to go the backless route for travel (it's a little easier to pack)

I'd still go with the scenera for your 3 yo. The Scenera is really light, and would be nothing to take through the airport and install in an airplane seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC