Is this common?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
seatbelt.jpg

seatbelt2.jpg

This is from a lady on my local mommies board. That's a Boulevard doing the damage. It's a 10 year old Lexus. The lady is getting all of her seatbelts looked at, so there is something good in it, but wow! The splitter plate cut right through it! It's not all that sharp.

Wendy

ADS

Splash

Holy cow! What the? How is that even possible? The splitter plate never should have come in contact with the belt, anyway. And it's not like the thing is sharp.

I don't see how that could have happened unintentionally. I just don't. And no, it's certainly NOT common.

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
well if its installed with a seatbelt FFing, without that black panel there i can see how the ssplitter platewould come into contact with the seatbelt...thats why you should have that black panel there...yikes.

southpawboston

does the BV normally have a plastic panel that covers the splitter plate so that it doesn't rub against the seatback whenever it's adjusted? i know that most carseats don't (the triumph being one of the exceptions). IMHO that should be a requirement, as it not only prevents this type of potential problem but also prevents normal tightening problems caused by the splitter plate rubbing on some part of the seat.

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
does the BV normally have a plastic panel that covers the splitter plate so that it doesn't rub against the seatback whenever it's adjusted? i know that most carseats don't (the triumph being one of the exceptions). IMHO that should be a requirement, as it not only prevents this type of potential problem but also prevents normal tightening problems caused by the splitter plate rubbing on some part of the seat.

yep it sure does...but its removable, and some people take it off when rfing, and then lose it or cant get it back on....you just have to be extra careful that your seatbelt isnt getting locked up in it...

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I'm sitting outside with my laptop, and my picture is only so good (ahh, that lovely sun!) but I can't fathom how a splitter plate is even near the seatbelt... the plate is supposed to be under the black plastic thingy, right? Weird.

Is she trying to blame Britax for this?

LuvBug

yup if it was installed FFing without the black panel(which I took mine off and didnt put it back on until I sold the seat) and then splitter plate happen to catch on the seatbelt during loosening and tightening, and then you go to tighten it and it wont move so you pull it really hard... and the seatbelt is dryrot or something... I can totally see it playing out in some freak moment lol!
In my world- anything can happen. :evil grin:

amy919

Since there's no sharpe edge, I'm completely baffled how in the world this could happen unintentionally. I guess anything is possible, but it does seem a big strange to me.

Amy

Loves2sing

:jaw: My jaw literally dropped when I saw that! The only way I can see that happening is if you took off the panel. But why would you? Imo, you leave the seat alone, and don't just start taking panels off. I personally don't understand why you would remove the panel? Any answers?

Michi

Actually, I could easily see how this could happen with a FF BLVD.....

I took off our black panel when I turned our ADV (basically a smaller version of the BLVD) forward because the splitter plate kept 'catching' on the long vertical bar that holds the adjustable headrest, and I could not tighten or loosen the straps unless I manually reached through the side of the carseat to 'un-hook' the splitter plate from the bar. I couldn't even get AT it with the black panel on - so I took it off.

My straps were constantly getting caught, and I would try to pull them free from the front, which means that the splitter plate was probably being 'jerked' upwards.
My seat was installed w/ a lap-only belt, but if there had been a shoulder-belt there - i guess I could see this happening!

Michi

Okay, I realize that probably didn't make sense so here's what I'm talking about

It's supposed to slide over the bar like this
IMG_2226.jpg

But it gets stuck like this
IMG_2225.jpg

And FF with the plate on - you can't get at it (from the side)
IMG_2227.jpg

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
:jaw: My jaw literally dropped when I saw that! The only way I can see that happening is if you took off the panel. But why would you? Imo, you leave the seat alone, and don't just start taking panels off. I personally don't understand why you would remove the panel? Any answers?

It can be easier to change the harness heights when it's removed... but then it's HARD to put back on...it should be a little hinged door maybe... I bet some very strong person managed to get it all yanked through that seatbelt like that (like skaterbabs' BIL reclining the driver's seat of her car so much it bent the RF Touriva behind in... strong, clueless people can achieve feats of carseat damage the rest of us can't even imagine, lol).

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Looks like the black plastic protector plate is actually on it, anyway...see that black thing in the lower left corner?

Some people do strange things with their seat. We had a new Boulevard come in the other day where, for some unknown reason, the Dad cut off the top tether. It was brand new, had never been installed, and was missing the top tether. Mom had no idea why he did it and Dad wasn't around to ask.

Failure to read and understand the directions that come with the seat is a recipe for potential disaster.

Suzibeck

I personally don't understand why you would remove the panel? Any answers?

I confess to removing the black plastic thingy from the back of my MA. Why? Because the splitter plate kept getting caught on it and I got sick of fighting it every time I loosened the harness and went to tighten it again. I did check that it was OK to take it off first. I never had a problem rfing, it only started getting caught when I turned dd ffing.

Kellyr2

I'm still confused - black plastic thingy in place or not, why would the shoulder belt be going BEHIND that portion of the carseat? Shouldn't it be through the belt path, which is between the back of the shell and the harness splitter plate? THe only other thing I can think of is if it was installed with LATCH, and the seatbelt was just buckled behind the seat to keep it out of the way.

LuvBug

^ that is what I noticed too, but maybe it was uninstalled and then for dramatic effect she put the plate back through it to show what it did?
if that isnt the case then it is a mystery!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC