question

alake

My BF and I are in the process of moving to Miami, and we currently have our two girls in Frontier XT's. I am wandering if Canadian car seats are illegal, like american car seats are illegal in Canada. We are going to be living down there full time, for 8 years. Are we going to need to purchase new seats, or can we bring there seats from Canada.
TIA

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
They are technically illegal. It is up to you whether or not you continue to use them, but you could be ticketed.

Wendy

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I believe it would depend on Florida's law. Most (if not all) states have wording to the effect of a seat needing to meet federal standards. If Florida has such a clause then the Canadian seats would be illegal.

kalamos23

wendytthomas said:
They are technically illegal. It is up to you whether or not you continue to use them, but you could be ticketed.

Wendy

This, but having lived in fl and seen how atrocious car seat use is there, I highly doubt you would actually get a ticket. That being said, id prob sell the canadian seats and buy the us frontier 85 to be on the safe side.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

ConnorsMommy

It's really sad that you could be ticketed for using a seat from another country in Florida but that state only requires children to be in any kind of seat until 3 years old:rolleyes:. I'd think that having children safely restrained past 3 years old would be more important than where the seat was purchased. At the same time though, I do agree with the others that it is important to follow the law so I'd sell the seats and get Frontier 85 here too.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
ConnorsMommy said:
It's really sad that you could be ticketed for using a seat from another country in Florida but that state only requires children to be in any kind of seat until 3 years old:rolleyes:. I'd think that having children safely restrained past 3 years old would be more important than where the seat was purchased. At the same time though, I do agree with the others that it is important to follow the law so I'd sell the seats and get Frontier 85 here too.

Does FL law really only require seats until 3?

If so, I wonder if you could get away with it on a technicality if the kids are over age 3. For example, if the law says that kids under 4 must be restrained in a federally approved child seat, you could say, "Oh, no problem, my kids aren't under 4, so the law doesn't apply."

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
crunchierthanthou said:
The worst in the nation- even lower than South Dakota where the governor vetoed the booster bill. http://www.iihs.org/laws/childrestraint.aspx

can't inconvenience the vacationing families, ya know. :p

I remembered it being low, but I didn't realize how low. I spend most of my time lamenting California's woefully inadequate laws, but I guess I have SOMETHING to be grateful for...

afdani1984

I am impressed to see alot more states with laws that children up to 7 years must be in some kind of child restraint. Oh, and it's not updated on that map but as of 2009 NYS changed their law to children up to 8 must be in a child restraint.

crunchierthanthou

I am impressed to see alot more states with laws that children up to 7 years must be in some kind of child restraint. Oh, and it's not updated on that map but as of 2009 NYS changed their law to children up to 8 must be in a child restraint.

no, it's current. "7 and younger" is the same as up to 8. Note the use of "and". ;)

afdani1984

no, it's current. "7 and younger" is the same as up to 8. Note the use of "and". ;)

Then I guess I'm reading it wrong.

4 through 7 years unless they are seated where there is no available lap/shoulder belt.

And the NYS DMV website now says
Before November 24, 2009, the law requires that all children ride in child restraint systems until their 7th birthday. As of November 24, 2009, this requirement applies to all children until their 8th birthday

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
afdani1984 said:
Then I guess I'm reading it wrong.

4 through 7 years unless they are seated where there is no available lap/shoulder belt.

And the NYS DMV website now says
Before November 24, 2009, the law requires that all children ride in child restraint systems until their 7th birthday. As of November 24, 2009, this requirement applies to all children until their 8th birthday

Yes, but "through 7 years" or "7 and under" is the same as "until the 8th birthday."

ETA: oh, nevermind. I didn't understand what you were saying. Sorry!

afdani1984

Yeah that's where I got confused. The info on the map said 4-7. Which to me means on my son's 7th birthday, I could switch him to an adult belt. The way the NYS DMV words it, through the 8th birthday, makes it sound like I could get an extra year in a child restraint..and on his 8th birthday, move him to an adult belt.

alake

Thanks for the info. We were just wondering. We were talking this on the Canadian board, and they were mentioning that I may want to take the frontier xt's with us, because they have better EPS foam in them. I do like some of the covers better on the Frontier 85's. I love the Maui Blue cover. I am OK purchasing either of the car seats. I appreciate all the information, that you have provided.

I really thought AZ was a 5 & under state According to the map we're a 4 & under.

ETA: I guess 4 & under is to age 5 huh? Meaning throughout age 4 & under (so once they turn 5 a seat is no longer needed). Duh. I guess I need to go to bed now. LOL...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC