?? About High-back boosters vs. backless boosters and Clek seats

Athensgirl

Hello! Think I'm going to move my 7 yr old and possibly 5 yr old into boosters. I love the covers on the Clek seats but really know nothing about them and can't find many recent posts here about. I realize they're pricey and maybe hard to find. Any input on them would be appreciated. I am especially wondering about the latch use with them. Can the seats latch up to 100 lbs? I didn't think that vehicles latch limits even went that high. I have a 2007 Sienna, for what it's worth.

The other question I have about boosters is: Is a high-back booster safer than a backless booster? Backless ones are so much cheaper so I'm wondering which ones to get. Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A high back may provide side impact protection, it may not. I like them for younger booster riders who may have trouble getting the shoulder belt fitted properly, and it gives them somewhere to rest their heads. I also like high backs because then you don't need to worry about what the headrest situation is in different cars.

You can LATCH the Cleks (and any LATCHable booster) in to the weight limit of the booster. The LATCH is only holding the booster in, not the child. So as the weight of the child increases, the LATCH is still only holding a steady 15 pounds (or whatever each booster weighs).

Wendy

Athensgirl

Thank you! That makes complete sense about the latch only holding the seat in so that being okay. I'm so used to harnessed seats I hadn't made that connection yet. :) Is this the only booster with latch? I am guessing part of that appeal is that you don't have to tether the booster to keep it from becoming a projectile when not in use?

The booster will be going on the driver's side 3rd row of our Sienna, but I just realized that we wouldn't be able to use the latch function then. It also means that if we get a different booster we couldn't tether it since there isn't a tether for that position. DS is currently riding in a Frontier that DH has tethered to the middle tether in that back row. I'm sure that is probably a big no-no!! :( I just realized he was doing that this week.

Kat_Momof3

that is indeed a big no-no.

I also prefer highbacks for younger booster riders because they often get tired and the headrest provides sleep support.

I would keep your 5yr old in the frontier... and go ahead with a booster for your 7yr old.

when your 5yr old is ready (maturity wise) at about 6-7, then you can convert the frontier to a booster or buy another booster at that time.

the clek boosters aren't the only ones with latch, but most boosters neither latch or tether.... you simply have to buckle them in when not in use.

how tall is your 7yr old? how much does she weigh? what slot is she in in the frontier (to give us an idea of torso height)... is she leggy?? short legs??

every booster is different so to recommend one, we'd need an idea of the build of your child.

Athensgirl

My husband thinks that the tether for the 3rd row middle seat is located close enough to the driver's side seat that it's okay. Help?! :( Will Toyota install a 6th tether for me there?

Anyway, DS age 7 (he'll be 8 in a few weeks) is 51" and 53 lbs. His shoulders are right at the harness strap on the Frontier so he needs to be either boostered in that seat or move to a dedicated booster. I can't move my 5 yr old DD to the Frontier because she is 50" and 60 lbs with a long torso and she is slightly above the Frontier's top harness. She's currently in a Regent and using the top strap has almost 2" left IF I am able to count where the harness strap comes out of the seat fabric. I can tell that is actually higher than the plastic inside by about 1/2-1" so if I have to go by the inside shell where the strap comes out she only has an inch in the Regent. Our Frontier is the older Frontier, before they made it bigger, BTW. I have a 4 yr old I can put in the Frontier. It sounds like both my bigger kids need to go into boosters. I think they're be more comfortable in high back boosters because they do sleep on trips in their seats. Ideally I need to get three across the back of my van and can do any combination of Frontier, RF Marathon classic, and the two boosters. Any idea on narrow boosters that are still comfortable? DD has long thighs and the Clek seats are making me nervous about seat depth. I wish I could try them out locally.

mommyfrog

Take a look at the Sunshine Kids Monterey. It may be what you are looking for. It is a high back that LATCHES in, with good leg depth and one of the tallest backs.

April

The Parkway is nice and narrow, but doesn't provide a lot of leg support. I agree with the recommendation of the Monterey.
Posted via Mobile Device

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't know of any dedicated boosters that tether. There's no point to tethering a booster. It won't reduce the head excursion, which is what a tether does. There are several combination seats that can be tethered and use the lower anchors when in booster mode. There are several dedicated boosters with lower anchor connectors that are used to keep the seat from being a projectile, but they're not tethered.

A tether can be no more than 20º off of straight down. The middle tether is too far to be used by the outboard seat. Toyota does not allow it.

Wendy

Athensgirl

I don't know of any dedicated boosters that tether. There's no point to tethering a booster. It won't reduce the head excursion, which is what a tether does. There are several combination seats that can be tethered and use the lower anchors when in booster mode. There are several dedicated boosters with lower anchor connectors that are used to keep the seat from being a projectile, but they're not tethered.

A tether can be no more than 20º off of straight down. The middle tether is too far to be used by the outboard seat. Toyota does not allow it.

Wendy

Thanks - I am mixed up in my terminology. I just wanted the seat to be able to be anchored and was confusing that with tethering. I will check out the Montery. I'm pretty sure a store in town has those in stock.

#1babysitter

I agree with the suggestion of the Monterey. I have one and use it for two 8 yo boys I babysit. They both have short torsos and long legs so a booster with good leg support was a must for them. The Monterey provides excellent leg support to both boys. It also has very nice side and head wings. Both boys are very comfortable when sleeping in it. The width of the side wings is also adjustable for broad shouldered kids. It has LATCH as well which is a plus.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC