2011 Honda Odyssey "Plus One"

MissAllyLou

We had one of these come into the check today, with a Snugride 30. I could not, for the life of me, get an acceptable install for a newborn in the plus one seat. We tried both the Snugride 30 base and the Snugride35 base, and neither were acceptable with LATCH or seatbelt. Anyone else have this problem? I hated putting an 8-day old baby on the side in the middle of that big ol' van with no one else in the backseat!

ADS

mlohry

We have an 05 Ody, and we would slide the passenger middle row seat to the middle, well it almost slides to middle without that plus one in there, is that an option with the 2011? Now DD likes to sit closer to the window so we put the seat back, but it made me feel better having her not right next to the door when she was a newborn.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Pics:

IMG_4667.jpg

IMG_4670.jpg

MissAllyLou

Wow, really? What problems did you have?

When we put the recline foot out, it sat right on the two plastic pieces on the side of the plus one seat, and made it impossible to pull all of the slack out of the LATCH strap and the seatbelt, on the Snugride30 base. I pulled it as tight as I could get it, went to check for movement, and it would slide all over, every. single. time. :( I was so disappointed.

Then I tried the Snugride35 base, and while I could get it tight with both the seatbelt and LATCH, the back of the base lifted completely off the seat, a good 3-4".

Now I'm wondering if ANY infant seat would fit there?

MissAllyLou

Did the hinges get in the way?

I'm not sure what you mean by the hinges :eek: . It was the plastic pieces on the sides that were getting in the way. The recline foot on the base hit the plastic sides of the Plus One.

The Snugride35 base was able to be tightened acceptably, but then the front of the base lifted completely off the back of the seat. There was a good 3-4" of air between the bottom of the base and the seat.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
MissAllyLou said:
When we put the recline foot out, it sat right on the two plastic pieces on the side of the plus one seat, and made it impossible to pull all of the slack out of the LATCH strap and the seatbelt. I pulled it as tight as I could get it, went to check for movement, and it would slide all over, every. single. time. :( I was so disappointed.

Now I'm wondering if ANY infant seat would fit there?

Did you try putting the foot in and using a noodle/towl instead?

MissAllyLou

We have an 05 Ody, and we would slide the passenger middle row seat to the middle, well it almost slides to middle without that plus one in there, is that an option with the 2011? Now DD likes to sit closer to the window so we put the seat back, but it made me feel better having her not right next to the door when she was a newborn.

Yes, they can slide like that, but it wasn't the issue. The issue was the Plus One seat itself, the plastic sides of the seat made it impossible to get the Snugride30 base tight, and the Snugride35 base lift off the seat.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
What you are calling plastic sides, I was calling hinges.

On the 2005, the could install a SR on the plus one. The 2011 have a different plus one though.

MissAllyLou

Did you try putting the foot in and using a noodle/towl instead?

Ahhhh, no, we didn't. Shoot!!!

I bet that would have worked, too, because when the little guy came in, the recline foot was not being used and the seat was nice and tight. It just wasn't reclined enough.

lovinwaves

Judi and I were talking about this in chat and I was having a hard time understanding what she meant about the hinges too :p But I've never tried an install in the 2011 Odyssey so I wouldn't know. Anyways, that really sucks because that install on a previous Honda Odyssey are pretty easy peasy (obviously you can't use LATCH on the previous models, I'm just speaking of the seatbelt).

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
It is almost like the latch is making the seat almost unusable. Why else would those plastic things be there? I thought it is part of the hinge, but, um, I was wrong.

lovinwaves

It is almost like the latch is making the seat almost unusable. Why else would those plastic things be there? I thought it is part of the hinge, but, um, I was wrong.

And you said in chat that they don't allow the seat to compress on the back part of the seat so you can't get a good install. Ugh. :thumbsdown:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
And you said in chat that they don't allow the seat to compress on the back part of the seat so you can't get a good install. Ugh. :thumbsdown:

Yes, I may have said that. ;) So the car seat must not hit the platic thingies. The Smart Seat fits, but that is a totally different style.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
If you check out my review of the 2011 Ody on the blog - you'll see a pic of the SS1 (aka SR32/35 base) on that center multi-function seat with the base tilted forward. It was tightly installed but I didn't care for the way it was tilted either. On the other hand, the KeyFit and the onBoard (premium style base with lockoffs), also pictured, were fine in that center multi-function seat.

http://carseatblog.com/8090/2011-ho...ids-carseats-review-with-tons-of-pics-videos/

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC