Graco SmartSeat and a newborn - pics included

Pixels

DS is 15 days old. He was 8 lbs 2 oz at birth, and 8 lbs 4 oz (and gaining) three days ago. He has an ~8 inch torso.
IMG_0443%5B1%5D.JPG

The harness pads were too thick, and were basically strangling him as I tried to tighten the harness. This is the tightest I was able to get the harness. There is gapping over the belly, and it does not pass the pinch test. However, DS was complaining and it was starting to look like his head would pop off, so I couldn't tighten any more. Also, because he doesn't really have a neck yet, those thick pads were holding the harness out to the edges of his shoulders. :thumbsdown:
IMG_0442%5B1%5D.JPG

I took the harness pads off just to see what difference that made, and the fit was much better. I was able to properly tighten the harness and DS did not complain. However, the harness pads are required in RFing mode, so IMO this seat is not good for newborns. The harness in the lowest position is just at his shoulder or slightly above. This seat requires the harness to be below the shoulder (not at) when RFing, so he needs to grow some more torso or wear a cloth diaper instead of the disposable he was wearing today to begin to fit the seat.
IMG_0441%5B1%5D.JPG

For comparison, here he is in a BabyTrend. It's difficult to see, but his shoulder is just at the slot in the bottom position.
IMG_0444%5B1%5D.JPG

ADS

DaniChildcare

has anyone figured out (or called Graco to find out) why exactly those extremely weird shoulder straps are required? That was really my only complaint about this seat when i played with it at the store.

You just confirmed my thoughts, at the fact that since newborns really don't have a neck, the "shoulder pads" would sit pretty much on their cheeks

Pixels

CPSDarren posted sometrhing about because it's steel reinforced, the seat doesn't give as much. The chest Gs were kinda high rear facing, so they padded (and required) the harness covers to lower the chest Gs. I have a sleeping baby on me or I'd go find his post and link you.

msg221

I couldn't even look at the car seat! I just want to snuggle that adorable little guy!! Congratulations!

lovemybabies924

i cant get my combi shuttle to pass the pinch test because of the padded strap covers either..her cheeks look just like his in the shuttle and shes 2m already but only 9lbs

BananaBoat

CPSDarren posted sometrhing about because it's steel reinforced, the seat doesn't give as much. The chest Gs were kinda high rear facing, so they padded (and required) the harness covers to lower the chest Gs.

That makes me nervous enough to hesitate using the seat RFing.

While I want to commend Graco for designing something innovative & unique, this seat leaves a lot to be desired, IMHO. :twocents:

Pixels

I'm sure many seats had borderline injury measures at some point in the prototype stage, and were modified to improve them.

amie815

He is just too precious! I am glad you forwarded those to Graco. Definietly a flaw in a seat that is suppose to be used from birth up.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC