Should I trade Alpha Omega Elite for MyRide?

laudymama

What do you think? A little history as to why I am considering this...
We were using an AOE for ds and I noticed that the harness would loosen on its own when I would check it after strapping him in so I called customer service and they sent me a new seat. In the meantime, we decided to break down and buy a 2nd seat for dh car since BRU had the trade in going on. I was so fed up w/ the AOE and how hard it was to adjust, etc that we decided to move the AOE to dh car and get new seat(Advocate70) for my car. Then there is the big Dorel recall-our AOE does not completely fall into the recalled seats (by model but not by date) however does have the same problem as the recalled seats. It was fine at first but after a few months of use it started so I don't really trust that the new one they sent will not have that problem as well. Especially considering they didn't even recall my manufacture date even though it has the harness issue! So....that is why I'm thinking about trading in the "new" AOE for a MR65. Well that and I have a baby gear obsession like many of you here :ph and didn't end up getting it for my car and it would be a way to get one anyway :D ds is RF 16mo, 26 lbs, 31in, 13in torso and most likely won't ride in dh car (GTI) much until he is a little older and can decide when he wants to go w/ daddy.

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
I LOVE our MyRide and would trade an AOE for one in a heartbeat.

You know the recall "fix" is some lube for the adjuster, right? I would be kinda pissed about that, but if you are going to sell it or give it to someone else to use, you should get the recall kit first.

StillThankful

It was fine at first but after a few months of use it started so I don't really trust that the new one they sent will not have that problem as well. Especially considering they didn't even recall my manufacture date even though it has the harness issue!.

Would you mind calling Dorel to inform this of your harness issue on the "new seat" they sent you? It's imperative that they know that other car seats not within the dated recalled seats are having the same harness issue.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I am confused. Your old AOE had the harness issue, Dorel sent you a new one, correct? Now, have you or have you not used the new one? If you have, and it has the issue, Dorel needs to be informed. You shouldn't trade that seat with anyone as it is defective and potentially dangerous. If it is unused and not under recall, then that's a different story.

DaniChildcare

I am confused. Your old AOE had the harness issue, Dorel sent you a new one, correct? Now, have you or have you not used the new one? If you have, and it has the issue, Dorel needs to be informed. You shouldn't trade that seat with anyone as it is defective and potentially dangerous. If it is unused and not under recall, then that's a different story.

Techno,
she's talking about "trading" in the AOE at the babysrus trade in event, so no one would be using the seat.

To OP, i love the MR, and would totally trade it in, especially since you are having that problem. I would also inform Dorel as many of the PP's have said, since it doesn't fall within the dates! :eek:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Techno,
she's talking about "trading" in the AOE at the babysrus trade in event, so no one would be using the seat.

To OP, i love the MR, and would totally trade it in, especially since you are having that problem. I would also inform Dorel as many of the PP's have said, since it doesn't fall within the dates! :eek:
Oh, I see. Regardless, I don't think a defective seat should be traded before contacting Dorel. They may want the seat back for investigation; the DOM may not be enough for them.

laudymama

Ok, let me clarify about the AOE we had and the one they sent....
Our old AOE had the harness issue prior to the recall and when I called cust. service regarding the problem I had to give them the model and DOM. They sent us a new seat and asked me to return the old one back to them. After hearing about the recall I checked the list and our old seat was only listed by model but didn't fall into their DOM and this is very concerning to me considering it has the harness issue! As for the replacement AOE they sent, we haven't used it yet because we ended up getting different seat for my car altogether. I can't say that I would trust the new seat anyway though becuase the previous one was fine at first and the harness loosening started after a few months.
I have heard about the "fix" and I think it's a bunch of baloney! I would never give anyone a defective seat for any amount of money so was thinking of using the Babiesrus trade in event to get 25% off a new seat for dh car-as far as I know no one receives the items that are traded in.
It looks like the consensus is to go for the MR- dh isn't a fan of this option, lol-is this because you truly love the the MR or because you think keeping the AOE (replacement they sent) is a bad idea all things considered?

laudymama

I forgot to add....I will gladly report it to NHTSA because I think it's awful. I'm not sure how to go about that though- can anyone steer me in the right direction?

DaniChildcare

I truly love the MR (wish i had one, but it's a little wide for the setup i need most of the time, or i would buy it in a heartbeat!)

I've used it in a few of my bosses cars, and just LOVE it. It's spacious, seems comfortable, offers ample amount of RF room for most average kids. Not even taking the recall into consideration, i would chose the MR hands down.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Ya, we have two My Rides and they are loved in both vehicles. For rear-facing that is. They suck for forward facing in both of our vehicles, but I could care less since DD has made it to age 4.5 rear-facing in them. :thumbsup: (hoping to get a few more months out of them even!)

laudymama

Ya, we have two My Rides and they are loved in both vehicles. For rear-facing that is. They suck for forward facing in both of our vehicles, but I could care less since DD has made it to age 4.5 rear-facing in them. :thumbsup: (hoping to get a few more months out of them even!)

I do plan on RF until ds reaches the height or weight limit-whichever comes first- so it sounds like that would work ok, but why do they suck for FF?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
laudymama said:
I do plan on RF until ds reaches the height or weight limit-whichever comes first- so it sounds like that would work ok, but why do they suck for FF?

They suck for FF in *our* vehicles; not every vehicle. We can't get the base to fully touch the vehicle seat while keeping the base fully on the vehicle seat so the MR is incompatible FF. Not all vehicles have this issue with the MR.

Sent from my iPad using Car-Seat.Org

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
I love our MR and so does my DD. I am able to get a great FFing install in my Santa Fe so it's not a problem in all vehicles. If it would be a problem for you not to have the FFing capability just try it out first. I didn't care about a FFing install since if it didn't work I'd just pass it down to our next baby when DD goes FFing, but luckily it does work for us :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC