Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Is this right? New to installing Frontier 85...

So I went with the long belt path install and got it rock solid -- but it looked a bit crooked due to the fact that it took and an act of God to get the thing in there by myself. The seatbelt *just* made it to the buckle and it took a bit of bouncing (and cursing and grunting...) towards the buckle to get it there. Anyway, whenever I get a new seat I take it to have it checked by a CPS tech. Especially with the Frontier 85 -- the long belt path install is so counterintuitive and weird compared to my experience with seat belt and latch installs. Also, the crooked-ness of it (which is slight) just bothers me (it's not perfect). So I get there and she is truly impressed that I was able to get it in there by myself (me too!). She gets in there and assesses. She then shoves her knee not down into the seat (towards the floor) but presses against the seat (towards the trunk) and gets maybe 2 inches closer/tighter (I've got leather seats). This is where things got sketchy. To do this, she "unthreaded" the car seat belt from a piece of plastic that holds it in the proper place for an adult sized passenger (at the shoulder). This got the seat even tighter (because the belt got closer) but it seems like the piece of plastic that holds the belt in that specific place at the shoulder keeps the seat belt there for a reason...does any of this make sense? This tech is super good and I totally trust her...I guess I just wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with this...mostly I want to stop worrying about it Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar
    What vehicle is this in regards too?
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Is this right? New to installing Frontier 85...

Usually that's fine. The plastic is a belt guide for better fit, but not a one size fits all (at least if it's like I'm thinking). Shoving it back toward the trunk is perfectly acceptable.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Do you have pictures?
    Mommy to L - 11.5 yrs, 160 lbs, 4'9" riding in seat belt
    F - 4.5 yrs, 33 lbs, 39" riding rear facing in a Graco extend2fit and Graco milestome
    A - 3 yrs, 32 lbs, 37" riding rear facing in a Graco extend2fit and Graco milestone

It's a '03 Nissan Altima. I don't mind the shoving towards the trunk, I actually thought it was pretty genius as I'm always trying to shove it further down to tighten up the install I just worry about the seat belt not being in the place the manufacturer intended for it to be...

Quote Originally Posted by ajtastad View Post
    Do you have pictures?
    No, I just got the kids down and I'm too tired and lazy to take pics The only way I can describe it is that the belt comes out of a slot in the rear deck and then passes through a plastic guide. It's above your shoulder on the opposite side of where you would buckle.

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

For a carseat it wouldn't bother me to pull it out. I don't know that I have, but I would if necessary. I know I've put it BACK in when I'm all done and just tidying up everything.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

9. Thank You from:

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar
    For an Altima, the guide is there so that the belt doesn't get jammed when you fold the seat to access the trunk.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

11. Thank You from: