Is this right? New to installing Frontier 85...

msuarez919

So I went with the long belt path install and got it rock solid -- but it looked a bit crooked due to the fact that it took and an act of God to get the thing in there by myself. The seatbelt *just* made it to the buckle and it took a bit of bouncing (and cursing and grunting...) towards the buckle to get it there. Anyway, whenever I get a new seat I take it to have it checked by a CPS tech. Especially with the Frontier 85 -- the long belt path install is so counterintuitive and weird compared to my experience with seat belt and latch installs. Also, the crooked-ness of it (which is slight) just bothers me (it's not perfect). So I get there and she is truly impressed that I was able to get it in there by myself (me too!). She gets in there and assesses. She then shoves her knee not down into the seat (towards the floor) but presses against the seat (towards the trunk) and gets maybe 2 inches closer/tighter (I've got leather seats). This is where things got sketchy. To do this, she "unthreaded" the car seat belt from a piece of plastic that holds it in the proper place for an adult sized passenger (at the shoulder). This got the seat even tighter (because the belt got closer) but it seems like the piece of plastic that holds the belt in that specific place at the shoulder keeps the seat belt there for a reason...does any of this make sense? This tech is super good and I totally trust her...I guess I just wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with this...mostly I want to stop worrying about it :) Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Usually that's fine. The plastic is a belt guide for better fit, but not a one size fits all (at least if it's like I'm thinking). Shoving it back toward the trunk is perfectly acceptable.

Wendy

msuarez919

It's a '03 Nissan Altima. I don't mind the shoving towards the trunk, I actually thought it was pretty genius as I'm always trying to shove it further down to tighten up the install :) I just worry about the seat belt not being in the place the manufacturer intended for it to be...

msuarez919

Do you have pictures?
No, I just got the kids down and I'm too tired and lazy to take pics :) The only way I can describe it is that the belt comes out of a slot in the rear deck and then passes through a plastic guide. It's above your shoulder on the opposite side of where you would buckle.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
For a carseat it wouldn't bother me to pull it out. I don't know that I have, but I would if necessary. I know I've put it BACK in when I'm all done and just tidying up everything.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC