Would You still buy Dorel?

U

Unregistered

OKay so this would be a bit long if I wrote all out long story short we've had 3 Dorel seats
safety first infant bucket and now 2 eddide Bauer addition convertible seats 2 and I think all 3 (hubby is at work so I cant check on that one for sure yet) have been recalled although the bucket for a handle and not a harness issue. I DO NOT like their answer of we'll just send you directions and some lube as a fix I don't feel like its safe it just doesn't make sense that givin'er a shot of wd40 would fix the problem but thats just me I guess. but there is a complete air on sale at TRU for 129 and I feel like I should replace the Eddies we are on a budget and can't really go over 200 a seat and both kids are rear facing now and I'd like to keep it that way DS is 2 32 inches and 30 pounds and DD is 10 months 26 inches and 23 pounds
So what do I do now?

ADS

canadiangie

A few things here, before I answer your question...

There may also be a Consumer Notice on your Safety 1st infant seat. Transport Canada recommends the seat be installed without the base due to crash test outcomes showing seat-to-base seperation at higher crash forces. There is more information about this in the Recall thread found at the top of the page.

And to answer your question, yes I would buy a Complete Air (especially at $129) if it fits your needs and your vehicle. Dorel, like so many other car seat manufacturers, has recalls from time to time. This is not a bad thing. I understand your frustration, but going with a different brand does not protect you from future recalls. The most important thing is for you to use your seats correctly, and also that you register your seats so that you can be notified if a recall is ever issued. My concern about recalls isn't the recall itself, but rather how many people never know their seat is recalled.

Hope that helps,

sparkyd

I agree that any manufacturer can end up with recalls, but I do feel that Dorel has kind of an abysmal record in how they deal with their recalls. This harness slippage issue has been known for at least a year. There were almost a million seats recalled in North America. A million seats that have been in use for months and months while they figure out the "fix". I think that sucks and I'm not willing to give Dorel a pass because of the general concept that recalls are a good thing. If they actually believed that as a company, they would act more quickly to fix things.

Having said that, I can't say I would never buy a Dorel seat, but there are only a couple in their entire roster that I would consider. The Complete Air is one of them. But with reservation because of their poor record.

But, as was already said, other manufacturers can have serious problems as well and it takes them way too long to deal with it. I'm not a big Britax fan (mostly due to their crazy expense), but from what I've seen fixing problems quickly seems to be one area where they get high marks. It would be really nice to see something change in the system that would require much quicker action when serious problems come up. The whole thing is very disconcerting.

lukensophie

Senior Community Member
Well, once upon a time, I would have said that I would never buy a Dorel seat. Never. Then, I had a four year old who was outgrowing his harnessed seat, and Dorel came out with the Apex. It was the first seat of its kind available in the U.S. and it fit our needs. So, I broke my rule and bought one. Since that time, I have bought a Scenera and a Complete Air, and contemplated an OnBoard 35 and Avenue. I have also recommended any number of those seats to friends or family.

I know that Dorel hasn't had the greatest track record for recalls. However, I have very carefully chosen each seat I have bought (of any brand) based on its own individual merits. I know that not every parent looks up different seats ahead of shopping and weighs pros and cons. Many go to the store a pick based on price and fabric pattern. However, each company has their own "dud" seats. Graco still insists on selling the ComfortSport and rear-adjust Snugrides. Evenflo has had so many issues with their infant buckets (handles, seats separating from the base, rear-adjust), and each time they issues a fix, but never truly change the overall design of the seat. Britax has had its own issues with the original MA and the testing in Canada, which they have never really acknowledged.

I guess what I'm saying it that each seat should be weighed on its own. No one manufacturer currently seems to hold the merit badge for acknowledging issues and running to fix them.

Now, should the manufacturer play a role in deciding which seat to buy? Sure, if it makes you feel more comfortable. I don't see a plan coming into place anytime soon that makes pickiing out a carseat totally foolproof.:shrug-shoulders:

amymariee

I have a 3 year 3 month old who has been in a scenera since we moved her from her safeseat at 18 months. We love the seat, for as little as we drive. I live in a smaller town just near Edmonton and we do alot of walking and stuff so we didn't need a super expensive comfy seat.
I would get more dorel seats if that's what i needed
We are expecting a newbie here in 3-4 weeks. and he's going in a sr 35 but i'd concider the onboard if i wouldnt of gotten his sr as a gift......
i'd get another scenera. but we are going to start driving to edm more,r and maybe move their.. and travel more so i will look for a comfier seat.. soon

but all in all yes i would

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC