how does this work??

Fiona is super skinny, she is also tall, she is 5 years and 3 months just about.. and weighs around 34 lbs.. she uses the top slot of her Graco nautilus, and has about a years worth of room before she is even with the top harness slot give or take.

Now in our state the law for boostering states in it that the child must be age 4 AND weigh 40 lbs to use a belt positioning booster.. I highly doubt Fiona will be 40 lbs in a year.. (I mean she rode in a booster once in a pinch recently) I wanted to booster train her this spring she is mature, and sits properly already.. but I figured Keith needs a seat in his car for her, I am just going to have her use a vivo... But could I get ticketed for that?

Also what happens when she has maxed out the height of her GN harness, and needs to booster, and is only say 37 lbs and 6 years old? Could I get ticketed for that? (doubt they would even care around here but just to get technical and see what others would do here)

Though I recently got a really dumb parking ticket.. and they were gung ho sticking by the ticket... so they do get nit picky when they want to...so it is a possibility.

ADS

DaniChildcare

You *could* probably get a ticket, but it's highly doubtful.

I would booster train without a second thought, simply because if they see a 5-6yo riding in a booster, they aren't going to pull her out and weigh her to make sure that she's 40lbs. (most realistically, they are going to judge her by age, and not by weight)

just my :twocents:

RYLANSMOM

Babywearing Meghan said:
Fiona is super skinny, she is also tall, she is 5 years and 3 months just about.. and weighs around 34 lbs.. she uses the top slot of her Graco nautilus, and has about a years worth of room before she is even with the top harness slot give or take.

Now in our state the law for boostering states in it that the child must be age 4 AND weigh 40 lbs to use a belt positioning booster.. I highly doubt Fiona will be 40 lbs in a year.. (I mean she rode in a booster once in a pinch recently) I wanted to booster train her this spring she is mature, and sits properly already.. but I figured Keith needs a seat in his car for her, I am just going to have her use a vivo... But could I get ticketed for that?

Also what happens when she has maxed out the height of her GN harness, and needs to booster, and is only say 37 lbs and 6 years old? Could I get ticketed for that? (doubt they would even care around here but just to get technical and see what others would do here)

Though I recently got a really dumb parking ticket.. and they were gung ho sticking by the ticket... so they do get nit picky when they want to...so it is a possibility.

I doubt any police officer carries a scale with them to weigh your daughter iykwim? By looking at a child that is 37 lbs and tall for a 6 yr old say...I don't think they are going to pay attention to the fact she is 3 lbs lighter. They would probably just be happy your child is still using some form of restraint..seriously from some of the cars I see with kids without any restraint, to large or to small for the restraint they are using ect

christineka

According to the wording of the actual Connecticut law, you just need to restrain your child in a proper restraint until age 6.

(d) (1) Any person who transports a child six years of age and under or weighing less than sixty pounds, in a motor vehicle on the highways of this state shall provide and require the child to use a child restraint system approved pursuant to regulations adopted by the Department of Motor Vehicles in accordance with the provisions of chapter 54. Any person who transports a child seven years of age or older and weighing sixty or more pounds, in a motor vehicle on the highways of this state shall either provide and require the child to use an approved child restraint system or require the child to use a seat safety belt. As used in this subsection, "motor vehicle" does not mean a bus having a tonnage rating of one ton or more. Failure to use a child restraint system shall not be considered as contributory negligence nor shall such failure be admissible evidence in any civil action.

(2) Any person who transports a child under one year of age or weighing less than twenty pounds in a motor vehicle on the highways of this state shall provide and require the child to ride rear-facing in a child restraint system approved pursuant to regulations that the Department of Motor Vehicles shall adopt in accordance with the provisions of chapter 54.

Dillipop

C.G.S. 14-100a (d) (Chapter 246, Motor Vehicles for the state of Connecticut)

(d) (1) Any person who transports a child six years of age and under or weighing less than sixty pounds, in a motor vehicle on the highways of this state shall provide and require the child to use a child restraint system approved pursuant to regulations adopted by the Department of Motor Vehicles in accordance with the provisions of chapter 54. Any person who transports a child seven years of age or older and weighing sixty or more pounds, in a motor vehicle on the highways of this state shall either provide and require the child to use an approved child restraint system or require the child to use a seat safety belt. As used in this subsection, "motor vehicle" does not mean a bus having a tonnage rating of one ton or more. Failure to use a child restraint system shall not be considered as contributory negligence nor shall such failure be admissible evidence in any civil action.

(2) Any person who transports a child under one year of age or weighing less than twenty pounds in a motor vehicle on the highways of this state shall provide and require the child to ride rear-facing in a child restraint system approved pursuant to regulations that the Department of Motor Vehicles shall adopt in accordance with the provisions of chapter 54.

There is no longer anything to do with 40 pounds. Any child under 60 pounds or under 6, needs to be in a child restraint. Doesn't make any reference to type other than under 1 or under 20 pounds, the child has to be rfing. You will be fine with her in a booster under 40 pounds.

ETA- Chistineka was quicker with her googling than me.

According to the wording of the actual Connecticut law, you just need to restrain your child in a proper restraint until age 6.

No it is definitly 4 and 40 though cause I had to look further into it this past fall when Fionas preschool wanted to transport them in backless boosters with lap belts only, when I went digging for print outs that explained legal boostering in the state of CT I found it.. I got info print outs straight from our precinct here too.

DahliaRW

Sounds like you're fine with your laws. FWIW, I don't think most police officers care at all. As long as your kid is in some sort of restraint, they don't even look further. So the chances of getting ticketed for say having a 2yo in a booster or a child who is 25lbs in a booster are very slim, let along having a 5 yo who isn't 40lbs in one (if that were the law). I wish they'd be more aware about safety, but sadly not.

C.G.S. 14-100a (d) (Chapter 246, Motor Vehicles for the state of Connecticut)

There is no longer anything to do with 40 pounds. Any child under 60 pounds or under 6, needs to be in a child restraint. Doesn't make any reference to type other than under 1 or under 20 pounds, the child has to be rfing. You will be fine with her in a booster under 40 pounds.

ETA- Chistineka was quicker with her googling than me.

oh wait is this BRAND new? cause I had to dig into the law back in Oct of this fall and it was still definitly 4 and 40 when I got into specifics of belt positioning boosters.. lap and shoulder belt are written into the law also.. which is what really helped my case.. but the 4 and 40 did too when they realized a lot of the kids were not 4 or 40 lbs

yea personally I think a 37 lb 6 year old who sits correctly the whole time, using a booster that starts at a 30 lb minimum (vivo is that) is safe.... totally different than the 50 lb 3 year old

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
It's not new, the booster law went into effect in 2005 iirc. For sure nothing I ever sent you said a child must be 4 and 40 to be in a booster. The recommendation is 4 and 40, not the law.

If the local PD really gave you something that was outdated, please find what they gave you and forward it to me so I can be sure they have the new stuff to hand out.

christineka

oh wait is this BRAND new? cause I had to dig into the law back in Oct of this fall and it was still definitly 4 and 40 when I got into specifics of belt positioning boosters.. lap and shoulder belt are written into the law also.. which is what really helped my case.. but the 4 and 40 did too when they realized a lot of the kids were not 4 or 40 lbs

It's from 2009 and here are the sections on boostering with shoulder belt and educational institutions transporting children.

(3) Notwithstanding the provisions of subdivision (1) of this subsection, any person who transports a child four years of age or older in a student transportation vehicle, as defined in section 14-212, on the highways of this state shall either provide and require the child to use an approved child restraint system or require the child to use a seat safety belt. Any person who transports a child under four years of age weighing less than forty pounds in a student transportation vehicle on the highways of this state shall provide and require the child to use a child restraint system approved pursuant to regulations adopted by the Department of Motor Vehicles in accordance with the provisions of chapter 54.

(4) No person shall restrain a child in a booster seat unless the motor vehicle is equipped with a safety seat belt that includes a shoulder belt and otherwise meets the requirement of subsection (b) of this section.

CTPDMom

Any child under 60 pounds or under 6, needs to be in a child restraint.

Just wanted to clarify for anyone else reading...any child under 60 lbs or under *7* must be in an appropriate restraint.

In other words, you must be OVER 6 (have reached your 7th birthday) AND be at least 60 lbs to legally use an adult seat belt in CT.

CTPDMom

It's from 2009 and here are the sections on boostering with shoulder belt and educational institutions transporting children.

(3) Notwithstanding the provisions of subdivision (1) of this subsection, any person who transports a child four years of age or older in a student transportation vehicle, as defined in section 14-212, on the highways of this state shall either provide and require the child to use an approved child restraint system or require the child to use a seat safety belt. Any person who transports a child under four years of age weighing less than forty pounds in a student transportation vehicle on the highways of this state shall provide and require the child to use a child restraint system approved pursuant to regulations adopted by the Department of Motor Vehicles in accordance with the provisions of chapter 54.

(4) No person shall restrain a child in a booster seat unless the motor vehicle is equipped with a safety seat belt that includes a shoulder belt and otherwise meets the requirement of subsection (b) of this section.

And even that doesn't say that an under 40lbs 5 year old needs a booster...and that only pertains to certain student transportation vehicles.

It's not new, the booster law went into effect in 2005 iirc. For sure nothing I ever sent you said a child must be 4 and 40 to be in a booster. The recommendation is 4 and 40, not the law.

If the local PD really gave you something that was outdated, please find what they gave you and forward it to me so I can be sure they have the new stuff to hand out.

Maybe it was the recommendation! If so that would be better for our case lol I am going to try to leaf through and find what I used for the teachers at her school, I do not have the report I made up anymore, because my lap top broke shortly after that and Is still in that same state.

I know the cop at the station that printed out laws for me also said they had to be 4 and 40 lbs.. but the police in our town are definitely not up to date in this area

Ha found what I used!!!! I am mixed up!

"younger than 1 year or less than 20 pounds in a rear-facing restraint system; 1 through 6 years who is less than 60 pounds in a child restraint system (booster seats may only be used in a seating position with a lap and shoulder belt) "

Sorry nevermind this thread then.. I do not have to worry about that like I thought I did.. the 4 and 40 thing must have just been word of mouth from the officer and I got it mixed in there somewhere..

on another note, the under 7 thing.. I will never forget when I went to a check and the tech said in front of Julianna (this was a month before her 7th birthday) Oh she can come right out of that next month (referring to her parkway.. the newly boostered child who was a couple months out of the harness!) I was like "do you have to say that in front of her? I know the laws but until the belt fits correctly she will ride in a booster!"

Just wanted to clarify for anyone else reading...any child under 60 lbs or under *7* must be in an appropriate restraint.

In other words, you must be OVER 6 (have reached your 7th birthday) AND be at least 60 lbs to legally use an adult seat belt in CT.

BTW I love your new avatar pic! :thumbsup:

abigaylebelle

Well I see that the law is not 40lbs in CT. However, 40lbs is the law for booster use in OR. I couldn't believe it when I read it. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in that legislative session. So basically here if your child is 40lbs s/he can ride in a booster regardless of age. I would much rather see a law such as "the child must be 4 years old to ride in a booster". I guess I'm worried more about 40lb 2 year olds in boosters than 37lb 6 year olds, you know? Anyway I wouldn't hesitate to booster an older child under 40lbs as long as s/he met the minimums of the booster.

Dillipop

Oops. I really did read the law. I wish the laws would state under 7, instead of 6 and under. Then I wouldn't get messed up.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC